Kids 40 rebuild. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm starting something way out of my scope of skill. I have had 71 40 sitting in my yard for the past 10 years or so. Well I'm finally doing something with it. In the first year of having it, I pretty much tore it all apart, down to the frame and body. That is how it sits today.

Fast forward 3 kids, two moves it is time to start. My wifes step father is a pretty good builder of show hot rods, rat rods, and motorcycles. He has had a few cars he has built get to the show room floor at kool April nights here in redding. So he has a ton skill, and will be a ton of help when it comes to making this all happen.

Plans,

Either a 4BD1T or 4BD2Tc mated with an A440F, mild 2 to 3 inch lift. The intention of this build is to get my boy who is 10 some experience in this field, and his first cruiser. Daughter turns 16 in 3 years, she will also be driving this, until he is old enough.

So any insight that you may have experienced, that may assist in this I welcome. I think I'm going to get the tranny and transfer case from modydick, and I'm still sourcing a motor. Found one in Medford, but no history with it so I'm waving off that one. Got a lead on 97 Isuzu flat bed in Red Bluff that I'm checking into, but I believe it will be the 4BD2Tc, 170 thousand miles, but complete. Hopefully the guy gets back to me.

Wish me luck, I will get pics this weekend. It's already in Redding in the FIL shop.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
So day one is in the books, got some of the rust cut under the driver door and the rear sill. Still more to do there.

So the next step is finding a motor. That is gong to be the task, I believe. Guy in Red Bluff never got back to me with the Izuzu flat bed. @mobydick I plan on getting that transmission/transfer case here in the near future.

Some body parts I need are a passenger front fender, and I'll source a new rear sill.
image.jpeg

If in a few months and I can't source a motor, FIL has 350 sitting in the shop we may go with.

Good start, you got your work CUT out for you with all that rust. Pun intended.

I'll keep it here for you....welcome to it.

Have fun with it all! Been there, done that with a 40 or two. Take your time and enjoy the time spent with your boy, that's priceless.

I figured that much rust was par for the course, over 40 yr vehicle that has been neglected. Should of seen the hack job bondo work that we cut out. Interesting needless to say.

Got a fender, now just trying to figure shipping.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Not the 40 but the 100 got a face lift. Still looking for a drive train on the 40, I'm exploring all my options. After reading more about the 4BD1T swap, the adapter seems to be the sticky part.

I think the best diesels for a 40 swap are the Toyota diesels or the 2.8 Cummins. The price is way up there, however. The 4 cylinder Isuzu is quieter and smoother than the 4bt. The Mercedes swap is an option but is an awkward fit. I think the OM617 with a turbo will out perform a 2f.

Yup, gnob, after driving mine for a few years, the overall drivability favors an LS swap vs a diesel. My opinion may change if the mods I need to do make a big difference. I miss being able to floor it and pass the slow-pokes but like the 20+ mpgs and the way it pulls on the hills..

Shyt, that sounds like exactly what I need. That or another vw micro
Yup, gnob, after driving mine for a few years, the overall drivability favors an LS swap vs a diesel. My opinion may change if the mods I need to do make a big difference. I miss being able to floor it and pass the slow-pokes but like the 20+ mpgs and the way it pulls on the hills..

Um. Just to styr the pot...... LS :flipoff2:

I just don't and won't ever see the pull of diesel. No pun intended.

Agreed, only concern is a 16 yr old in a short wheel base, unless I keep it and make the kid walk.

Get an 240d normally aspirated Mercedes diesel in that thing with 4.11's and a 3 speed- that will be safe..

Well it’s been awhile, it’s now or never. I’m 3 years from the boy driving and getting his license. It’s not like I haven’t been doing anything with cruisers, but this project again got neglected. I have no choice now, I have actually put money into it and I’m not stepping away from that. Purchased a complete 2F, trans and transfer from trail-tailor.
FC9D6B55-EF20-4E77-88C5-D46C023613BB.jpeg

So it’s go time, slowly but surely. Also the 60 got a face lift finally.
B967E3E8-BEAA-47A4-902D-295534C128A9.jpeg

trail-tailor front and rear bumpers, sliders, modified my roof rack, and a holley sniper under he hood.

Right on! Looking good. Would love to see you down at Sourdough again if you can get away from work and just let sh!t burn! :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom