Key stuck in the igintion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I have a 1997 LX450 and after arriving home from a routine oil change last night I can not get the key out of the ignition (the engine turns off), but it stays stuck in the ACC position.

I was finally able to get the key out of the ignition by pushing with some force on the shift lever to the park psoition and then I was able to remove the key. This morning, I again have the same issue and have to push hard at the shift lever to the park position win order to get the key out.

Also, my brake light on the dash has been on for the past few weeks and although, I the brake fluid level looks good and I topped off the brake fliud to the proper level, I brake light remains on. Don't know if this also contributes to the issue with the key problem.

Please can some of you experts on this board give some adivse as to what might the problem be. :beer: :beer:

Thanks in advance.

-J

the sensor on the master cap is prolly bad, if this happens the brake light will stay on. AFAIK this should not effect the key or the shifter in anyway.

not sure about the key. Cant see how the shifter works with the ign key?

Landpimp: Just check the brake fuild reservior cap by unpluging it and check that the brake light does not come on in the dash after I disconnect. Think it's the cap that will need to be replaced. will try and order one of those soon.

As for the key stuck issue. I notice when I turn the key from ACC to Lock, I do not hear a clicking sound at all. If I'm not wrong, I beleive there should be a clicking sound to engage or dis engage the automatic tramission shift lock system.

Check the owners manual and it mentions that Fuse No.4 which supports the Stop Lights, and Auto Trans shft lock might be the issue.

Gumby: I will check the stop lights to see if it works, hope it's just a brunt fuse.

EnDLess: The key I have is the original fatory keys so, I don't think there's a problem with the key itself.

I checked my stop lights and looks like that works fine, as I see the rear brake lights lite up when I press on the btrake pedals.

I played around with it a little more and noticed, if I just push the lever to park the key will not come out. but if I push the lver all the way up to park and give it a little force and then there is this click sound and the shift lever button stays stuck.. then I am able to take the key out. When I have to stert the car, I then need to push the shift lever all the way up to park..again with a little force and the shift lever button unlocks and then I'm able to turn the key to start the engine.

Can any one make out what this might be. Fuse? a new igintion switch ?

Thank - J

If this is the s***er linkage, how how difficult of a job is it to adjust the shifter linkage. My mechanical experince is linited to at the most changing the motor oil.

I have search the forum for more info on how to adjust the shifter linkage but could not find anything useful.

Medtro: You mentioned this "(12mm or 14mm bolt left of the tranny under the truck) and it solved the problem." which bolt should I be looking for underneath the tranny?

Crusher, I don't know if this will help or not.

On my '97 (when turning it off) the key can not be moved past ACC. if it is in any position other than park.

Also, you have to push the key "in" towards the dash to get it to go the lock position when in park to remove the key.

So, if you are pushing in on the key but having to force the shifter into a "fully parked" position then I would suspect what the others have already said about the adjustment.

Something to try would be to apply your parking brake prior to shifting to park to take some strain off of the tranny and shifter (especially if not on level ground).

Good luck with it.

My father in law had a factory key stuck in the ignition of his 96 4runner for about 2 years. He couldn't find any way to remove it. Dealer and locksmiths said the lock was bad and the entire thing needed to be replaced- $1K+. We found a knowledgeable local locksmith who got it out in about 5 minutes with some special tools (small piano wire or something- I have no idea how locks work). He said the parts were worn in the lock and it would eventually need to be rebuilt, but it is still working fine several months later. Have a competent locksmith look at it when you get a chance.

Anyone have a step by step of how to adjust the shifter linkage? My key is stuck in ACC. I can start the car fine in P, but key doesn't go to lock for removal in P. I have to disconnect the negative battery cable to release the key.

Danke!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom