keeping the cruiser a cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm looking at a crusier and i am wondering how many of you keep the old engine in it? i'm not sure if it's f or 2f(got bit by the bug yesterday) and i want to go look at it here sunday, so my question is,....how hard is it to maintain stock drivetrain compontents? how many people swap stuff out for common chevy stuff? thanks

I have one of each, I like the original stuff better. Just because its original.

Hi All:

I'll be gentle on you newbie, try out the "search" function here on MUD - you will find lots of info.

In the USA, for the 40, 45, and 55 Series Land Cruisers, I'd say the most popular engines are the Toyota 2F and various versions of the famous "Small Block Chevy" V-8.

That is not to say that there are still not lots of "F" engines out on the road, nor to forget the various diesel engines (Toyota and other makes) as well as oddballs such as the GM 4.3L V-6, Ford V-8s, and GM I-6 engines (250 & 290 C.I.)

There is good availability of parts for the 2F, though obviously not as great as the SBC.

Good luck!

Alan

yeah, it seems that the v8 swap would be easy and maintence free essentially, but it's like one of those things i want to keep orig. but i rather drive it you know

The 2F is a dang machine. Bullet proof. The low end torque is incredible and I have found finding parts isn't an issue.

lol yeah i'm on here and pirate too trying to get some insight. i didn't get flamed at pirate at all, so i figured it'd be the same here. but that's not bad haha thanks

Keep the 2f, BUT
mill the head, change the cam, header, change timing curve, get a sealed late 70s distributor if you go in the water at all, set up the carb correctly.
With a few power gains, it is much more enjoyable to drive over stock.

If reliability becomes an issue and you want EFI go with a 3FE, it's an easy install. It will only give you slight gain in hp but most people who install them like the setup.

I'm on my third 40 and wont let this one get away. All three of mine were stock, all ran great. Finding parts can be expensive, but use creativity and you will be suprised at what you can find. I would never put a V8 in mine, I like cruising down the street at 50mph with everyone passing me....and I'm 34yoa....they are just sweet! Matt

Can't EFI be installed on a 2F?

There is something to be said for the purity of a stock Cruiser. Theyre getting harder to find, its a classic design and theyre bomb proof. If you want it for those reasons, I totally understand. My last Cruiser was pretty far from stock; TBI350, Sm465 transmission, etc. I kept the stock axles, but the body saw some modifications. It was cool and awesome to drive, fast, handled well, etc, but it was quite the same "cool" as stock. Tough decision.

The 2F is a dang machine. Bullet proof. The low end torque is incredible and I have found finding parts isn't an issue.

Finding parts isn't the problem. Paying for them is. SBC parts are a lot cheaper.

Can't EFI be installed on a 2F?

Not with a TBI unit,but you might get away with a 3fe setup on the 2F in Cali. They are picky over on that side.:rolleyes:

Jeremy

I have a stock 40 and a sbc 55. my 40 is an F but I would not change it for the world.
my 55 on the other hand is all changed over but I dont think I would do it again b/c if there is something like a clutch job you have to pull so much more at least on mine............but the instant power is cool.
I like the 2f or 3f I see lots of guys running big tires with a well done 2f and they seem to love it.
but I can get more money with my 40 IF I ever decide to sell it (big if)
my $0.02 worth

sweet thanks for the input guys. but i just saw it yesterday, didn't really get to look it over. if i get it, it'd have to be in "turnkey" status, and i don't wanna mess with it. i need propane and a d300 for yj before i do anything to this. i'll try and get over to the guys place here on sunday and check it out some more. thanks for the input.

There are tradeoffs for everything. I'd love to have one of each but toyota motors do hold their value better as a poorly done sbc converison has to be totally redone and how many po's would you trust did anything right before unloading their problems on you. I like the power of my sbc milage is close and parts are cheap

I love my f and 3 speed.....Lots of torque and the neighbors think the UPS truck is outside everytime I come or go.....:)

OCD, your rig is an example of exactly what I would NOT put a SBC in. Your rig is nice, and the F with a column shift 3 speed is the way I would go with such a classic looking rig.

If you plan on sky high lifts, i.e. SOA, big tires and full roll cages. Then you can throw the ole "Toyota motor has better value" out the window. It ain't gonna matter when you go to sell it if it has a stock motor once it has been modded.

Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom