keeping a 200 alive "forever" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slap a big ol' Holley 4-barrel on a manifold, and run a real cable to the loud pedal to bypass the dead electronics, and yer good to go!

Except you can't shift it or anything associated with sensors, brakes, etc... 🤷

(Says the guy with a 60 year old MG in the garage with a throttle cable, choke cable, clutch cable, one vacuum line, and about five wires. ;) )

My main worry with the LC 200 is this:

I have posted about this part in other threads but nobody seemed to share my concern about it. If this part fails your 200 is not going to be of much use. It is more expensive than an engine or transmission replacement and controls just about everything in the vehicle.

I honestly wonder if this is a pricing mistake given the cost of 2013-2015 counterpart...

Slap a big ol' Holley 4-barrel on a manifold, and run a real cable to the loud pedal to bypass the dead electronics, and yer good to go!

Except you can't shift it or anything associated with sensors, brakes, etc... 🤷

(Says the guy with a 60 year old MG in the garage with a throttle cable, choke cable, clutch cable, one vacuum line, and about five wires. ;) )
I sold my early model mustang a couple years back to make room for a camper and our land cruiser. I don’t miss the fear of breaking down for any reason at any moment but I do miss the simplicity of pretty much any repair that could be made anywhere with a basic set of tools.

If so it's wrong on every Toyota parts site I have checked. The corresponding LCD display is only $4000...

If so it's wrong on every Toyota parts site I have checked. The corresponding LCD display is only $4000...

I suspect (hope for) mistake in MSRP in the Toyota's system so everyone else is showing that minus whatever discount below MSRP they sell.

I tried to verify the part on partsouq.com, but while they show the part number they do not show availability or price.

dash.png

Maybe not a mistake... actually the equivalent part for 2013-2015 is radio and it costs almost as much.... e.g. 2013-2015 Toyota Land Cruiser Radio 86804-60380 | Toyota Parts - https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-radio-8680460380

I really hope we'll be able to figure out the radio/nav delete using overseas parts for 2013-2015 and 2016-2021 like the guys did for 2008-2011.

Not only the nav is beyond s***e, the sound system is mediore, devoid of CarPlay (an economy car grade feature these days) and Mr. Toyota wants 10 grand for that pile of junk. Frankly, this is distasteful.

Last edited:
THE ONLY THING TO WORRY ABOUT IS RUST!

I have 12years/250,000 miles and this thing is going like new.

THE ONLY THING TO WORRY ABOUT IS RUST!

I have 12years/250,000 miles and this thing is going like new.

I actually don't worry about it that much - rustproofing, especially DIY application takes care of it.

Eric Sarjeant could verify this and perhaps add some insight? Hopefully there is a repair process or core credit? Maybe he will read this thread and respond. Maybe they are bulletproof and its a non issue but dayum that's a lot if money for a part that doesn't say motor or transmission.

Last edited:
Megasquirt(DIY ECU).. EFI, traction, transmission will grow in popularity in the future. The electronics will become less black-box and people will adapt/replace/recreate when there is a need or market.

There should be law if part is not available from the OEM, the specification/design needs to be published and put in public domain.

The "right to repair" efforts (one of the few things my stupid state is actually right about) will hopefully help.

My main worry with the LC 200 is this:

I have posted about this part in other threads but nobody seemed to share my concern about it. If this part fails your 200 is not going to be of much use. It is more expensive than an engine or transmission replacement and controls just about everything in the vehicle.

Was this on all 200's? What would the issues be? Confused on this. Thanks

Was this on all 200's? What would the issues be? Confused on this. Thanks
The issue is that the part costs over $7000 discounted. It applies to 16+. If it fails the vehicle would likely be disabled worst case and severly compromised at best. It controls radio/nav/HVAC and very likely many other functions.

Rip it out of a wrecked vehicle? Save money. Looks ugly in photos. Id rather have my 2009 radio. I do know the touch screen in 100 was a problem (mine still works 20 years later).

This forum is too funny. People fretting over electronics that have been a part of cars for 30 or so years.

I posted a while back that Toyota/Lexus could have and should have updated the woefully outdated infortainment system. I was torn to shreds and lectured how it couldn't be updated because every "part is tested to last 25 years" and then lectured that I "didn't understand who the truck was for" etc.

Electronics are part of almost everything now. ECUs fail, not sure how frequently and 7K seems a bit excessive for almost anything. I did buy a CarMax warranty when I bought my 2013 LX last year because electronics/infotainment can be pricey.

I can also remember as a kid my Dad and Grandfathers fretting over "power everything" as tings like power door locks, windows, mirrors (and even steering/brakes) became more and more common. They worried all the "gizmos" would start breaking and failing (though based on some older cars that worry seems legit)

I guess every generation has something to worry about with vehicles.

Seriously, not fretting, easy. Just the price is stupid excessive for no good reason should these parts fail. Probability of failure is low, but it will suck if it happens.

:popcorn:

This forum is too funny. People fretting over electronics that have been a part of cars for 30 or so years.

I can also remember as a kid my Dad and Grandfathers fretting over "power everything" as tings like power door locks, windows, mirrors (and even steering/brakes) became more and more common. They worried all the "gizmos" would start breaking and failing (though based on some older cars that worry seems legit)
two very good points. This reminds me of a 88 or 89 Mazda 929s I had given to me while I was a broke college student in 2000ish. I don’t know if you’re familiar or not with this car but it was Mazda’s fancy sedan and it was stuffed full of gizmos and electronics. It already had well over 200k on the clock and I put at least another 30k over a few years. Hard miles car camping and forest service roads... so many places that car had zero business going to. When I finally donated it not only was it beat to hell but every single button and electronic thing on it worked including the oscillating air conditioning vents and retracting antenna. All this to say that I’m not super worried about the electronics in my soon to arrive LC but I’ll likely pick up some extended warranty just in case. Electronics today aren’t what they were in the mid 80’s and out of all of the manufacturers the Japanese seem to have the strongest track records.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom