Keep the F motor or get rid of it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to get some opinions. I have a 68 LC with the original F engine. 89k or ?89K. Three on the tree and 3 speed Tcase. Everything works as far as I know. it starts, runs, drives, (only drove it into the garage from the driveway and started disassembly).
The front clip is off and everything is pretty much stripped down. So pulling it out would be rather easy. Question is,,, is it worth keeping this set up, or pulling everything out, seeing what I can get for it and going with a 350 etc., also if I pull it what do you think its worth?
I dont plan on heavy wheeling with it. mostly light trails and pavement. Thanks for the Time.

Until you decide to take a 350, Cruiser 4-speed or SM465, and a stronger Cruiser t-case, keep the F motor. Putting a 350 in front of the stock 3-speed and the more brittle/weaker 68 t-case is not something I would do without a different tranny and stronger year t-case swap at the same time....and that's just more $$$$$

Yea I figured as much with the Trans and Tcase. What would you suggest as far as a good trans and X Case with a 350?. I know some guys run IH Scout axles and Drive lines and Steering in Jeeps, ever heard of that working in a LC?
Thanks again

If you are going with a 350, you can run the LC 3 or 4 speed and transfer, but it is not geared very low, or the SM420/465 with the toy four-speed case. The first option requires a belhousing adapter, the second a trans-tranfer case adapter. There are tons of other options, but those are the most popular.
I sure wouldn't run a scout drivetrain or axles. That would be a downgrade. Heeps run them because their drivelines suck. Put a cruiser next to a heep sometime and look at the differences.
Scout p/s boxes, however are nice. I couldn't find one, so I went with an Astro box. A car Sag box is a fine option too. There are lots of write ups on IH8mud tech pages.

IMO, scout axles are not bad so long as they are Dana 44's....often you get factory limited slips too. If you upgrade the fronts to CTM's and alloy shafts, they are very strong. There are other things I did like about the 44 stuff, but it's not a bad swapover.

The SM465/420 mates best with a 73-older t-case since the 10-spline tranny outputs match with the 10-spline input on the t-case. See my write up on the SM465 for an idea on how it works.

IMO,if yer gonna spend for the adapter, run the chev trannies and get the granny gear for offroad use....

In my case with a 79 FJ I am removing a 350 Chevy motor and there is a Bellhousing which is bolted on over the stock one. Then am installing a good moter all original after going over it froma '77 FJ which I'm dismanteling for parts since there is no title and too much work to try restoring the truck.

Wonder if the removed engine(which runs fine), weber -idelbrock carb , headers and adapters are worth anyting to anyone.

Think about it, add a 350, loses authenticity. Its not designed for a 350. Car still isn't designed to go faster than 60 mph. Engine and cabin get substantially warmer. Do you really need to change it out?

Think about it, add a 350, loses authenticity. Its not designed for a 350. Car still isn't designed to go faster than 60 mph. Engine and cabin get substantially warmer. Do you really need to change it out?

I didnt change to a small block for speed. I did it for dropping shear amount of weight, reliable parts avail and familiarity, and the massive USABLE rpm band.

I find speed is one of the benefits that it gave me. Heat in cab was about same, but not anymore. All it took was wrapping my stainless exhaust in insulation.

By far, the 700R4/D300 has been best combination for me cause of the over drive and crawler parts for Dana 300.

I'd keep the F. I've done the 350 conversion and it's not cheap. A 350 won't increase the value of your 68... at best you'll be able to get the same money for it. Money spent on the conversion is essentially down the drain.

Throw it together and enjoy driving it. If you ever decide to do a swap down the road, it'll only take an afternoon to pull the front clip again.

I'd keep the F. I've done the 350 conversion and it's not cheap. A 350 won't increase the value of your 68... at best you'll be able to get the same money for it.

That truck has probably had three motors in it by now. Check the original thread date.

I have an original 155f and it runs great. But I also have a Doner 79 that has a 2f and 4 speed. I plan on swapping out the hole drive train so I have a disc setup in the front also. IMO thats the way to go. I havent done it yet but from what I can see it looks alot easier than a 350 swap.

This thread was revived about 8.5 years after it was last posted in...not bad :D

31565d1270489092-little-known-facts-regarding-world-war-2-holy-thread-resurrection.jpg

:bang: I hate myself for reading the 9 first post......... :doh: LMAO!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom