Keep the 80 series or 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title suggests, I'm interested in your input on whether to keep the 1996 80 series (181k mi) or the 2007 100 series (150k mi). Both have had extensive PM done (hg, cooling system, etc. for the 80, and timing belt, radiator, etc. for the 100). My main use will be camping and hunting so there's no rock crawling in my future.

I'm inclined to keep the 80 b/c it's 3x locked, solid axles, etc. but really wish it had the power and comfort of the 100 series. This is why I'm posting in the 100 series forum to see if someone can persuade me otherwise. I feel that the 80 series will be more versatile in the future if my off road preferences change. Not likely but you never know.

I know this subject has been posted before but I'm still interested in any thoughts you may have.

Thanks in advance.

Are either of these cruisers your daily driver?

Are either of these cruisers your daily driver?
No. Neither are daily drivers. That said, I do drive the 100 series more often. I only drive the 80 series a few times a year for specific trips. Either way, whichever vehicle I keep, it will evolve into a purpose built vehicle. I'm thinking of picking up a used 200 for a DD.

I'm faced with a similar dilemma. I daily drove, wheeled and wrenched on the 80 (81) with 2.5" lift on 35's for 8 years prior to stepping into a 100. My personal decision was based on enough justifications to populate a spreadsheet: keeping the 80. But maybe I'm biased since I pull the wrenches and demand reliability over power and the ol' girl has never let me down.

IMHO the 80 was the the last true Land Cruiser, aside from 105 and 70 Series (which I luckily use at work). My experience has been that the 100 requires twice the maintenance, in both time & cost per km travelled, of equivalent use. Even after PM is complete. Of course YMMV depending on use, lift and tire size.

Ideally, we would find a way to keep both - GLWS!

Edit: and driving 10% better on the highway wasn't even a factor in my decision. That's for the.......

Last edited:
Since not a daily driver, I'd keep the 80 for sure. IMO a bit more rugged vehicle, especially off-road. Easier to work on in many respects, triple locked, becoming more rare. The trend for 80 series (right now) is that they are going up in value while 100's are coming down. Your 80 is not high mileage for the year model.

I have both an 80 and 100 series and IF I could only keep one, it would be the 80.

Since not a daily driver, I'd keep the 80 for sure. IMO a bit more rugged vehicle, especially off-road. Easier to work on in many respects, triple locked, becoming more rare. The trend for 80 series (right now) is that they are going up in value while 100's are coming down. Your 80 is not high mileage for the year model.

I have both an 80 and 100 series and IF I could only keep one, it would be the 80.
Thx

If you are not going to be doing hardcore stuff (you said just camping and hunting) I would go for the 100. Most people on here will say the 80 because of off-road performance, but it doesn't seem like that would be the deciding factor in your case. The 100 is more comfortable, more modern and is safer. Hundys are plenty reliable and the 2UZ is a great engine aside from having to do the timing belt. I do not know as much about the reliability of the 1FZ, but you won't have the timing belt issue. Also if you think that your off-road preferences may change a hundy is pretty capable with good mods and unless you want to do really technical trails you won't need an 80. If you want to do rock crawling build a mini truck :). Just my opinion, but if anything keep both... keep the hundy somewhat stock and build the 80. I agree though that if you get a 200 then sell the hundy, there is no point in keeping it.

lots of factors in here
first off though like others said if you are getting a 200 no real reason to keep the 100.
Also both will do what you want it to do so it comes down to personal choice.

Also consider how much each is worth on the market if you are needing the $$$ for other things.

Keep the 80 as it got the front solid axle. The 100 and 200 got IFS so 80 is special.

Sell both 80 and 100 and buy 200 & HZJ77

IMG_2271.JPG

I'm thinking of picking up a used 200 for a DD.

Then I agree with those who suggest ditching the 100, although a locked, lifted 80 with 35's is overkill to da max for your purposes.

Otherwise, I'd keep the 100. They're a way nicer ride, IMO.

200 as a DD? Good gracious!

Unless you need the money, keep the 80. Arguably the best looking Landcruiser, ever. They're actually starting to appreciated like an air-cooled 911 or E30 BMW. The hundy will almost never become collectible. (not that it matters, or you care)

I plan on selling my 100 in the next 12 months and picking up an 80 and 200. The ultimate Landcruiser 1 / 2 punch.

Unless you need the money, keep the 80. Arguably the best looking Landcruiser, ever. They're actually starting to appreciated like an air-cooled 911 or E30 BMW. The hundy will almost never become collectible. (not that it matters, or you care)

I plan on selling my 100 in the next 12 months and picking up an 80 and 200. The ultimate Landcruiser 1 / 2 punch.
We think alike!

Another vote for sell the 100

Unless you need the money, keep the 80. Arguably the best looking Landcruiser, ever..

Since this is the 100 series forum, I'll argue that the 80 and 200 series are the best Cruisers in terms of capability, but unfortunately the worst in the looks department. 100 beats them both, and 70 series down are even better.

I'm faced with a similar dilemma. I daily drove, wheeled and wrenched on the 80 (81) with 2.5" lift on 35's for 8 years prior to stepping into a 100. My personal decision was based on enough justifications to populate a spreadsheet: keeping the 80. But maybe I'm biased since I pull the wrenches and demand reliability over power and the ol' girl has never let me down.

IMHO the 80 was the the last true Land Cruiser, aside from 105 and 70 Series (which I luckily use at work). My experience has been that the 100 requires twice the maintenance, in both time & cost per km travelled, of equivalent use. Even after PM is complete. Of course YMMV depending on use, lift and tire size.

Ideally, we would find a way to keep both - GLWS!

Edit: and driving 10% better on the highway wasn't even a factor in my decision. That's for the.......

The 100 has twice the maintenance? I read the opposite. the ujz100 is pretty damn maintenance free.

Agree with @tacoduck on maintenance. My 80's have always been a little more needy than my 100's.

@89GASHOG Agree about the 70 series, best looking cruiser ever, imo. But, a 100 is better looking than an 80? You'd be in the minority, even amongst 100 series owners. I'd like to take a poll on best looking cruisers, I'll start another thread........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom