Keep leaving my lights on.....door buzzer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Folks,

In my day car I have automatic lights, so I never need to remember to turn them on or off.

In my BJ, I like to drive with the lights on to increase visibility given my drum brakes. However I sometimes forgot to turn them off resulting in my batteries running low.

Has anyone installed a door sensor that buzzes when the lights are on and the drivers door is opened?

I'm gonna do it next weekend, I'm simply looking for inspiration.

Thanks

At most car parts shop they sell "headlight warning buzzers" or "headlight alarm".
That buzzer sounds when you turn the key off. Very easy to install. No need for a door switch.

Rudi

Do you have 24V or 12V headlights?
The regular 12V version they sell is a 12V (piezo) buzzer with a diode in series.
buzzer.png

buzzer2.jpg

Find a 24V buzzer and any diode (1N4001 or equivalent) from Radio Shack or any other electronics shop and your problem is solved.
Some buzzers will also work on 24V. They are stamped; 3 - 24V

Rudi

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hey Rudi
I luv your Avatar, the weasel from memory:)

I purchased one of those buzzers and tried connecting as per that other thread on cheap fixes, but it never worked for me.:bang:

If I was to put a diode in between as you described do you think it would for me .

:cheers: Spudman

Folks,

In my day car I have automatic lights, so I never need to remember to turn them on or off.

In my BJ, I like to drive with the lights on to increase visibility given my drum brakes. However I sometimes forgot to turn them off resulting in my batteries running low.

Has anyone installed a door sensor that buzzes when the lights are on and the drivers door is opened?

I'm gonna do it next weekend, I'm simply looking for inspiration.

Thanks

I have a Bj74 that has the speed (bing bong) indicator. I disconnected the annoying speed (bing bong) indicator and connected it up to the dash lights and door sensor. Now when the I leave the dash lights on and open the door the buzzer goes off. This has saved my batteries several times.

Hey Rudi
I luv your Avatar, the weasel from memory:)

I purchased one of those buzzers and tried connecting as per that other thread on cheap fixes, but it never worked for me.:bang:

If I was to put a diode in between as you described do you think it would for me .

The diode is there for protective reasons. Should work without but better safe than sorry, so put one in.
A 1N4001 or equivalent will do the job. Radio Shack or any other electronics shop sells it.

It should work if you hook it up like this
buzzer-modified.JPG

If you want the alarm only when you kill the engine you hook it up to the "ON" position. In this case the alarm sounds even with the key in the "ACC" position.

If you want to use the "ACC" position and the headlights but not the alarm you use the "ACC" position.

Rudi

Thanks Rudi

I'll give that a try and see how it goes

I have a Bj74 that has the speed (bing bong) indicator. I disconnected the annoying speed (bing bong) indicator and connected it up to the dash lights and door sensor. Now when the I leave the dash lights on and open the door the buzzer goes off. This has saved my batteries several times. Urbancarrot, Sunday at 8:23 AM

Please explain how you did that? Can you show a schematic of this? This seems like a much better solution than finding another 24 volt buzzer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom