KDSS Manual Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
@dr_kdss figured out which terminals to break and is producing a plug and play harness. He is also producing factory style switches. This will allow you to be in kdss mode to give you more flex above 12mph auto threshold.

pretty cool if you ask me.

3FAE439A-2FB8-408B-A86B-B013535F2E9A.jpeg

5582B917-862F-4064-9535-1B48DA3B885E.jpeg

026497B6-8386-42A7-A162-89277AA262FF.jpeg

8B046EE2-56AF-4CDC-BF84-0F89578EF3C5.png

CF85A6BE-C2C1-4AA4-B3C1-72F7F0578E8A.png

I like this much more than the blackgate custom kit.

Can you give me a closer picture of connector. Need to see if I can adapt it to the 470.

I had heard of the Blackgate product on here a while ago. Never saw anything about this product until of course after I bought the other. So what exactly is the difference between the two at a technical level. They both appear to have buttons to “turn off” the kdss module or rather force soft mode? I like that blackgate is using factory connectors at the KDSS module. Is the Dr KDSS installed at the dash only avoiding exterior connections and weather issues? If so that is a plus. From the pictures of Dr KDSS and the Blackgate I received the Blackgate loom appears a little nicer in finish. Not a fan of the @dr KDSS switch though lol. Minor things. Also I don’t use Instagram or Facebook so it gets hard to source.

Last edited:
From my very limited observations the blackgate wiring harness connect to the solenoid under the car. This is the dummy side and need waterproof connector. The switch just provides 12 volt and lock the solenoid. It seems it's totally manual with no go back to normal automatically. No first hand experience so my observations from the install manual. I might be totally wrong.

DRKDSS kit is connected inside the cabin and use some type of relay. I like this better as it would automatically turn back on after you cycle power. Again no first hand experience. Just from observation from pictures he posted.

This is interesting. I just have to decide if I need it or not.

I never really followed this over the years but seems a lot of 4R KDSS owners have been doing this now for a number of years. Just crude switches or ECU unplugs it seems.

Probably one of those mods you won't really know benefit pro or con until you experience it.

Last edited:
I installed the Dr. KDSS switch last week and took it out today for the first time. I need a better test method, because for most of the day I was at 15 psi, which made all washboards and whoop-de-doos in the desert washes disappear. After airing back up, I ran a mile or so out at speed, and tried with and without. It had "some" effect, but doesn't magically transform your rig into a Baja racer. Will do more testing and report back.

Next week's project is to replace switch LEDs with white so they all match.

20220203_181604.jpg

I installed the Dr. KDSS switch last week and took it out today for the first time. I need a better test method, because for most of the day I was at 15 psi, which made all washboards and whoop-de-doos in the desert washes disappear. After airing back up, I ran a mile or so out at speed, and tried with and without. It had "some" effect, but doesn't magically transform your rig into a Baja racer. Will do more testing and report back.

View attachment 2914797
What's funny about this picture is my switches look EXACTLY like this except my LED lightbar switch is white backlit. :D

I went with the Dr. KDSS setup as well. I have had it for a little over a week and I can tell the difference on some of the roads around my house that have patch work done to them. If I run it with the KDSS system engaged, I can feel the entire truck shutter but with the system off it is noticeable that the suspension is taking a lot of the jarring feeling so that it is not felt as much in the truck (if that makes any sense). Like you, I need a better test to see how it really performs but it is not the "magic" button that some make it out to be. Don, the owner, is super nice and helpful. It would likely benefit him, though, if he put instructions in the box instead of a message that says call me and I can tell you which wires to tap for your vehicle.

As far as the button colors, I have never fooled with changing out led's like this. It doesn't bother me that much but if you have a kind of step-by-step tutorial on how to do it, I may tackle it. I just don't understand why Don doesn't use a white backlit switch.......

Having said all of that, I do believe it to be a worthwhile purchase and can see the benefits. Toyota should give this as an option for KDSS rigs.

View attachment 2914797
If I'm not mistaken, when KDSS is connected isn't it for high speed stability and with it disconnected the ability for greater articulation when crawling? :hmm:

If I'm not mistaken, when KDSS is connected isn't it for high speed stability and with it disconnected the ability for greater articulation when crawling? :hmm:
You are correct. This switch disables the "stiff" mode above 12 mph, which for some FS/dirt roads at higher speeds, the more "independent" the wheels are, the better. To a point, obviously...

Interestingly, I found that above a certain speed, I could not disable while in motion. Not sure if that's a feature, or due to the circuit I tapped into to power the switch (which I can't remember off the top of my head. Will check it out.)

Reactions: r2m
Yes. But I just wanted to see how it would handle the closest bumps (read crappy Louisiana roads) I could find. 😎😎

Reactions: r2m
You are correct. This switch disables the "stiff" mode above 12 mph, which for some FS/dirt roads at higher speeds, the more "independent" the wheels are, the better. To a point, obviously...

Interestingly, I found that above a certain speed, I could not disable while in motion. Not sure if that's a feature, or due to the circuit I tapped into to power the switch (which I can't remember off the top of my head. Will check it out.)
I had it up to about 50 and was turning it on and off without issue. But I ran my taps to the fuse box. I didn’t like where Don was suggesting to tap the other switch. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

None that I have seen but 460 FSMs with wiring diagrams are here in forum so one could create a write up

Another one almost free

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom