Kaymar rear bar recover eyelets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was looking at the Kaymar rear bumper that will soon be installed on my 61. The two recovery eyelets, which I assume are intended for shackles, are made out of the same thickness plate steel as the rest of the bar, which seems kinda thin. They're certainly better than the dinky eyelets on the ARB bull bar, but compared with other bumpers that use 3/4" or 1" thick shackle mounts makes me a little worried about bending. IIRC they're a little over 3/8" thick, probably 10mm.

Anywho have any of you had an issue with them, or am I just worrying too much?

If you plan on wheeling where you may get stuck alot you should probably pick up one of those solid receiver inserts w/ shackle anyway.

4WD_SB29312B.jpg

The problem I've had with them is them getting bent up on rocks. On harder trails in Moab I drag my ass a lot and they fold up. Two minuets with a large adj crescent and a cheater bar, they are good to go. Only complaint I have with the Kaymar.

If you plan on wheeling where you may get stuck alot you should probably pick up one of those solid receiver inserts w/ shackle anyway.

4WD_SB29312B.jpg

That was my first thought, but I read somewhere that the hitch receiver is only rated for ~3,00lbs. I haven't been able to find info confirming this, but I'd still be more comfortable with something bolted directly to the framerail.

The problem I've had with them is them getting bent up on rocks. On harder trails in Moab I drag my ass a lot and they fold up. Two minuets with a large adj crescent and a cheater bar, they are good to go. Only complaint I have with the Kaymar.
Ouch. Would all that bending compromise the strength any?

I think the 3000lbs limit is as much to do with the Land Cruisers towing capacity as it has to do with the design of the bumper or hitch.

I've banged the (insert favorite expletive here) out of the eyelets. I've never used them for bouncy strap type rescues. For that, I too have a shackle insert.

I've never had an issue using them as an anchor for winch activities.

My Kaymar also has a different hitch receiver than most I've seen. It sits underneath the rear cross member and does not require notching.

It seems reasonable that Kaymar did the shear, bearing, and tear-out calcs, as long as there is roughly one hole diameter's worth of tab around the hole I wouldn't get too excited about them. The cycle of bending and straightening the tabs would worry me the most. Eventually they are going to fail from fatigue.

Like others, I use the shackles as winch points, for strapping other trucks I only feel confident using the receiver. If I was able to bend the tabs, by any means, I would never trust it. On my front bumper I welded tabs to the no name aftermarket bumper. I have used the points with very undesirable angles while winching keeping a close eye on any kind of flex. They didn't move, I have bashed them into many a rock, the rock lost. I used 2" x ¼" angle iron, welded back to back then onto the bumper. I use Crosby ⅝" shackles

In case it was lost in translation, for yanking, winching etc. you don't really need those shackle tabs to be 1" thick. A lot thinner will still be more than strong enough. The issue is other things, like bending them after banging into a rock.

If you have thin tabs on a bumper that you like, but are worried about these other things what I would suggest is some fabrication. Using some heavy wall tube make a bushing with the same size hole as the tab and 1/2" to 1" long, weld it to the tab using a sacrificial bolt of the correct size to align it (throw those bolts away when done).
Take a piece of strap (preferably cold-roll) of the same width as the length of the bushing and tack it to the bumper's main body such that one edge sits on top of the tab. Bend the strap around the perimeter of the tab and tack in place. Make a second tab to close off the "open" side of weldment and finish weld all of the seams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom