Kaymar OEM Rear Tire Carrier Install Pics and Write-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OGBeno

23303-56040
GOLD Star
Threads
Install:

1. As Shahram recently posted, this is pain in the butt to figure out considering it's a bunch of pieces with really no logic behind them...I didn't have any directions, and went from pics that dclee has on his website and that S. A. had sent me.

2. Removed PS (US) rear bumper plastic thing...POS if you ask me and doesn't do a damn thing to protect the rear. Take off the OEM tow hook and stare at the thing for a bit.

3. Put pieces together. Screw bolts on.

4. Put carrier on and I screwed up by loosely bolting the bolts and closing the carrier to figure out where the latch was to go. Marked the spot on the rear cross member and started drilling away with my DeWalt.

5. Put latch on and closed and everything worked great. Uninstalled tire carrier and put plastic POS back on and cut hole for the bolts to go through. Put mud guard back on and put tire carrier back on, bolted down tight, closed the tire carrier....and :doh: the carrier was higher than the latch...bolting it down tighter lifted the thing about 1/2" too much....

6. Take latch off, get drill again and begin drilling again. THis time did it right and everything was kosher. Looks pretty good and is stable as hell. Holds my GY Wrangler MT/R just fine.

I am attaching some pics. If anyone attempts this in the future, feel free to drop a line for help. Some people might need it, some might not...I know I did... :rolleyes:

In a few years when I get the money and move back out West, then I'll pay Christo to do it right for me....

Best regards.
-onur
Akron, OH
P6190050.JPG
P6190052.JPG
P6190053.JPG

Last edited:
And some more...

Notice my spare is an OEM steel wheel rather than being the same as the four running on the truck...is this normal?
P6190064.JPG
P6190067.JPG
P6190068.JPG

Beno that is awsome. Nice pics. If you don't mind me asking how much was that setup? Because I need a rear spare holder but don't need the whole heavy duty rear bumper. Well let me rephrase that I would like the heavy duty bumper but can't afford it so this idea looks great. Also did you order it through Man a Fre?

Last edited:
Nice, just curious though.. does your LC fit in that garage still with the tire on the back and closing the garage door? Doesn't look like it from the pic. Also, do Kaymar bumpers and tire racks come with the stickers? Just wondering since mine doesn't have a sticker on it, so I assume the prev owner that installed it didn't put it on (which is fine with me)
The other thing I notices is it cover up the pass. side lights, so just make sure your drivers side bulbs are always working I guess uh?

Stucky, i think just the kaymar tire carrier is pretty spendy considering what you get.

Greg--

The truck is only about half way in the garage (I had to do some engine bay work and I like to have some space to walk and work.). It barely fits in the garage with the tire carrier. Barely... :rolleyes: The lights are still a bit visible--much better in the dark since things light up a bit. But yes much of the PS tail light is covered over...

Josh--

I got mine used from a member of this forum. You can get it from MAF for I believe $550+ shipping. It's a pretty beefy unit. Call Steve-O up and see what he might be able to do for you. I hope to get a nice one from Christo in a couple of years. For what I do now, this is perfect.

Romer--

Yeah, Red Stripe on Sunday's is a tradition in my household :flipoff2: Not too many while wrenching though... ;)

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

Now that i read my post, i didn't mean "for what you get" derogatory (sp?), beno you did it right and got a used one from a member; for for a new one at $550, you are close to a whole bumper.

Nice setup. I think a new one Kaymar rear tire carrier is about $650, I paid $1300 for my rear Hanna w/tire carrier. Might as well save up for a complete setup.

I want to get one but I agree that for what you get it is pricey. THey're what $400?

That's a nice looking MTR, better put a lock on it! ;)

Nice job!

...and nice choice in beers ;)

I was first turned on to Red Stripe when I was in Jamaica 10 years ago -- good stuff.

Hey folks:

I am adding information culled from different sources about this install just to add to the information aspect of this thread as it has devolved into commentary about a certain Jamaican lager... :beer:

Derek Lee's site:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/p...333862&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite

Good pics to look at his un-install.

Here is also some PM's back and forth with Shahram who was the last person to put a OEM Rear carrier on. Note that the bold faced are my questions to him... :crybaby:

All right, back to torture, eh?

So I am trying to put this thing on and what a bitch this is...I can't even get the holes to line up on the PS (US) rear past the resonator of the muffler...seems like that thing is in the way.

Let's see...the muffler resonator is in the way. There is a replacement bracket that should have come with the tire carrier. The bracket essentially drops your muffler down about a half an inch to allow the tire carrier to set up. If SA forgot to give you the bracket, then you'll have to find a way to lower your muffler a touch. What I'd do is disconnect the muffler at the bracket and let it hang. Attach the carrier and then figure out a way to re-connect the bracket (longer bolts, washers, etc.) until you can get to a muffler shop, where they'll surely have an appropriately sized muffler, or be able to bend one up for you. Don't drive around with the thing disconnected, it'll screw up the muffler.

Also, do I have to cut into the plastic bumper thing on the rear PS area?

You DO NOT have to cut into the plastic bumperette. But you will have to drill into it. Once the big (gold colored) bracket is on, put the plastic bumperette back on and then place the tire carrier base thing over it and line up all the holes. It should go on over the bumperette and rest on the top of the bumperette. It will be snug. See the little lip on the top of the bumperette that allows for your tailgate to sit between the bumperettes? THAT's the part you're gonna drill into. The carrier base should line right up with that.

What size drill bits did you use for the holes in to the cross-member for the latch area?

If I recall, the bolts were either 10mm or 12mm, so one of those will work. Check the bolts.

I've got pieces that I don't know where to put!!!

If one of those pieces is a squared off U-shaped bracket, that's probably the muffler bracket. Other than that, you probably shouldn't have any left over parts, because it's used. If it were new, you'd have a bunch of leftover stuff. Is your LC a different year than SA's? That might be important, as there were a couple of different brackets for different model years in the original box. Find out, and let me know. There are still a couple of items hanging around my garage that might be of use. If you need them they are yours, I'll ship them out to you. Contact SA and Kaymar and whoever you can, if you can't get this stuff resolved.

This really sucks and I thought I could do it in a day!

Yeah, if I didn't have my buddy, who's really mechanically inclined and smart, I would have been screwed. The holes didn't line up for us, and I was like "Okay, I'll take it back," and he said "No way, let's MAKE it fit." That's kinda what you gotta do--make it fit. You'll get there, it just takes some patience and a grinder bit.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone else in the future who will be adding on of these to their rig.

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

beno said:
...until you can get to a muffler shop, where they'll surely have an appropriately sized muffler.

Oops. That should have said, "where they'll surely have an appropriately sized muffler BRACKET." Key word I left out--"BRACKET". There would have been no reason to go and get a new muffler. Funny how one word can just change the whole thing like that.

gbell210 said:
Nice, just curious though.. does your LC fit in that garage The other thing I notices is it cover up the pass. side lights, so just make sure your drivers side bulbs are always working I guess uh?

Kaymar supply a set of aux lights with the kit. They mount to the rear crossmember where the steel and plastic end piece join

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom