Just want to make sure I am setting timing right (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read about all the posts here (my eyes hurt) about setting initial timing and just want to make sure this sounds right, only want to do it once, if thats possible;)

1. rotate crank to the bb mark on flywheel thru inspection coverplate
2. make sure it is on compression- both #1 valves loose
3. intall distributor so rotor ends up at #1 cyl firing position on the cap (will have to rotate some for gear turning)
4. most important!-make sure the distrubutor is seated properly
5. tighten down and then set timing with light (hopefully she cranks up)

Am I missing anything here or just flat out wrong about something? If so please advice, thank you in advance. Having fun still with my first FJ40, great site!

I guess the one thing I am not 100% sure about is the rotor pointing at the #1 firing position on the dizzy when it is at TDC or at the BB on the flywheel.

Here's what I know about it. When I got mine about six months ago, the PO said it didn't run. So I got it ready to start it. Alls it would do was backfire. So I got the book out and got the engine to TDC. The rotor was pointed at the no 6 on the cap, but the PO had it wired to the no 1. I wired it correctly and it ran :)

put the cap on and where 1 is that is where you point the rotor . you may still have to advance or retard timming to get it to start .you can mark the rim of the dissy where 1 is also makes it a little easier good luck

Use the TDC line to install the distributor and to set the valve lash. The bb is 7° btc and is only used while the vehicle is running to set the timing.

Thanks Blue77, any advice on getting to TDC? I have read here everything from turning crank to jacking wheels up and spinning tire to pushing in 4th gear. if I turn the crank method with the 30mm wrench then I have the gear in neutral and does it matter which way I rotate? of course can always bump teh starter and see normal rotation but just checking.

I use Jim C's method of bumping. Put the cruiser in 4th gear, brakes off, on level ground, stand in front of it and bump it a bit. You'll see the distributor rotor move, and it will warn you of the upcoming TDC mark on the flywheel (about 11 and 5 oclock on my rotor). Best to paint the line white to see it better. Keep bumping until you get the TDC line to line up with the pointer. The truck will move a bit backwards by the time you're done. Rotation direction doesn't matter.

Sounds good, only thing now is I wanna work on it bad and am leaving for the mountains of North Carolina tomorrow. It will be here when I get back though, just ready to get it fired up.

Thanks for everyones help!

dont forget to be on the compression stroke! you mentioned it, but DONT FORGET. it will make the job go MUCH smoother... trust me. :rolleyes:

Just wanted to let you know that I did get to mess with it for about and hour last night. The bumping method worked awesome, I really was surprised by how much the flywheel turned each time I bumped it backwards. Anyway, I could never find a line so I went ahead and and put it on the dot and then realigned the rotor to point at #1 on
the cap. Then got in and it fired right up! I was one happy camper.
I didnt get a chance to time with the light and hope I can achive time
since I couldnt see the line and I never could feel the compression in the #1 cylinder tto make sure I was in compression, just got lucky I guess. Thanks for all your help again!!!!!!!

Crawl underneath the cruiser, remove the inspection cover that covers the bottom of the flywheel. There's about 8 or so 10mm bolts. That's the best place to see, clean, and paint the TDC line.

Last edited:
OK will do. I could just not see it thru the little inspection cover. Do you think I should try and redo when I get back from vacation or since it fired up, should I try to acheive time with the light and see what happens.

OK will do. I could just not see it thru the little inspection cover. Do you think I should try and redo when I get back from vacation or since it fired up, should I try to acheive time with the light and see what happens.

Whoa, the little window viewable from the engine bay is not the inspection cover. That is the timing window. The inspection cover is underneath the vehicle, bolted under the flywheel

Yep, I understood about the one underneath, maybe didnt make myself clear enough. I did use the little one in the engine bay at first but like I said could not see a line at all. I did use the bb and then installed the distributor with the rotor pointing at #1 on the cap. It fired right up. I probaly should go back and do on the line for #1 and then use the light and fine tune. When I get back I may throw the light on it and see where it is at right now. I dont wanna have to do over again so if you suggest I will pull the dizzy back out and make sure I am on the line with the pointer when reinstall the diz. Thanks again, whats cool is doing this myself and learning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom