Just rolled 200,000 miles...thinking it is time for some updates... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I am in the middle of a quandary...

Just rolled 200,000 on my 1998, just before I had my total knee replacement. NORMALLY I would be considering doing the pending work myself, but being exactly 1-month removed, I am months from being mobile enough to actually manage the work. The new reality of my new knee at 36. Sucks Up front apologies for any rambling...still on meds.

So my first dilemma...suspension. It is currently OEM across the board (shocks, springs, bushings, etc). Stock wheels running TA KO2s for the winter (LOVE these tires!), and no real desire to run oversized ever. Only selfish improvement I want is a Slee Blueberry sometime this year. Currently it is not incredibly squishy or splashy by any means. Not nearly as tight as new obviously, but people are amazed how nice it is given the age.

There seems to be some debate whether the bushings (which are certainly showing their age) are replaceable or not. As well, since my goal is to refresh this baby to last me another 200K and give to my daughter (currently 6-years old), I am not really on the lift-kit train (unless someone feels strongly about the kit's benefits over stock). I am also a little leery of ego-only upgrades given my 4-wheeling consists of the best Oregon has to offer in highway trips, snowy mountain roads when skiing, fire roads when hunting, etc. Rock crawling and the highly technical 4-wheeling just is not in my schedule for now. I do tow with it and load rather heavy for projects, hunting, etc., so airbags might be a thought.

I tend to lean toward Bilstein in other vehicles, have no experience directly with OME, but am open minded to you all. I have great respect for Slee on here, however, I have never had hands on or seen anyone with their gear.

So the main question I have after giving all you experts that nutshell of an update...given my goals and wanting to have as many things done simultaneously as reasonably possible, do I bite the bullet and replace all control arms, tierods, springs, etc? Or can I work this in stages (not independently wealthy obviously) or omit certain items to refresh this area? Given my current health status I am afraid I am going to have to spend the $ on a shop to do the work for me......so knowing exactly what I am doing before reaching out to one is a big deal for me.

As I said, if the Community has a strong opinion on lifts or kits or upgrades outside this basic nutshell I live in I am all ears. I like how the Cruiser rides, have always preferred the stiffer end of the spectrum with both my trucks and go-fast cars (used to race SCCA and some sponsored events), so please let me have it.

I know there are a litany of items like timing belt and such that are probably on the docket sooner or later, but for now she runs like a top and is smooth as silk.

Thank you all! You have provided so much good reading and entertainment during this rehab it has been immeasurable. If anyone really wants to see my current surgical "suspension" upgrades I would be happy to post pics

Just do bits and pieces as time, money and energy levels permit. Upper control arms one month, tie rod ends a few later etc..Then it won't seem overbearing.

I'd recommend a mild lift but consdiering your knee and getting in and out I'd say stick with OEM. A fresh batch of shocks and springs sounds like a good first step and the OEM Toyota ones are very comfortable and not expensive. Good luck and upload some pics if you have any.

Just do bits and pieces as time, money and energy levels permit. Upper control arms one month, tie rod ends a few later etc..Then it won't seem overbearing.

I'd recommend a mild lift but consdiering your knee and getting in and out I'd say stick with OEM. A fresh batch of shocks and springs sounds like a good first step and the OEM Toyota ones are very comfortable and not expensive. Good luck and upload some pics if you have any.

Thanks LX! Normally I would do it all at once and hit the alignment shop, but with the piece-by-piece approach, I am not really sure what stages would need and alignment after install and what wouldn't. Any insight is most appreciated!

I am running a Tough Dog 2.5 inch lift and absolutely love it. It is imperative to get an alignment straight after a lift.

I don't mean piece by piece on the lift, that all has to be done at once. I meant piece by piece with other modifications and prevantative maintenance ie fluid changes, belts etc as funds permits.

You could probably get away with no alignment if you stick with oem although I wouldn't recommend it due to spring sag.

Thanks LX. I keep leaning toward the Slee control arms and such given the plethora of reviews on here. Seems to be lift or no lift they are a better-than-OEM option given my light-duty (compared to all the wheelers) requirements.

Slee isn't big here in Aus and we have more Land Cruisers than anywhere. I hear they make a great product but I'd get something developed for Australia as it will be designed to endure hell.

I literally see maybe 30+ Land cruisers a day where I live ranging from 40s-200s and they all swear by mostly Aussie stuff.

Slee isn't big here in Aus and we have more Land Cruisers than anywhere. I hear they make a great product but I'd get something developed for Australia as it will be designed to endure hell.

I literally see maybe 30+ Land cruisers a day where I live ranging from 40s-200s and they all swear by mostly Aussie stuff.

This man speaks the truth. They are everywhere in Australia and they ain't to use them afraid to wheel them. I used to live in Melbourne and that's what got me wanting a Land cruiser but I could never afford one there! I ride dirtbikes and I naturally can get pretty deep into the woods. I was amazed at some of the places I saw guys off roading in Land cruisers and Monteros. Now that I live in California I was able to buy a 2003 LC for 10k! Just 2 weeks ago in fact. For now its our family car but I have intentions of building this up with Australian off road parts

Thanks guys. So Aussie-Approved huh? Looks like I will start digging into Tough Dog and whatever others I can muster!

Thanks guys. So Aussie-Approved huh? Looks like I will start digging into Tough Dog and whatever others I can muster!

Old Man Emu although I have a personal grudge against them for not wanting to fit or equip their product to an AHC fitted vehicle.

TJM is great for accessories, Dobinsons, Monroe, Tough Dog.... all great aussie suspension makers.

This man speaks the truth. They are everywhere in Australia and they ain't to use them afraid to wheel them. I used to live in Melbourne and that's what got me wanting a Land cruiser but I could never afford one there! I ride dirtbikes and I naturally can get pretty deep into the woods. I was amazed at some of the places I saw guys off roading in Land cruisers and Monteros. Now that I live in California I was able to buy a 2003 LC for 10k! Just 2 weeks ago in fact. For now its our family car but I have intentions of building this up with Australian off road parts

A 2003 for 10 grand! Lucky duck.

A 2003 will run you high teens to late 20s out here. Or if it is a diesel up into the 40s

LX....what are the import restrictions like for bringing US vehicles into your neck of the woods? My old FJ-55 here was an original Aussie delivered pig back in the day. Always thought that was cool.

On topic, I THINK I am leaning toward the Bilstein HD adjustables along with the OME springs (still researching the Top Dogs fwiw). Aftermarket Slee control arms also seem to be the best option as they are a.) an upgrade over stock, and b.) almost 2-for-1 priced versus OEM.

All insight welcome and appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom