just got a 91 cruiser, need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

N

nyk438

I've got a 91' Land Cruiser 4.0 straight 6, automatic transmission. When i get to about 40mph + it makes this weird like groaning or sounds like it's grinding almost but as soon as i let off the gas it's fine, and it only does it periodically. Also, when I'm in reverse and take my foot off the brake my car doesn't move at all. and when i give it gas to go it's bumpy and doesn't sound good at all. Yeah I know these are sketchy details but it's all I can think of right now blah. thanks for any help.

:-\Sounds like your heat shield for the drivers side cat is either loose or has rocks in it. The cat itself may be shot and rattling around the guts. Under load, if it is either, it will kinda sound like a grinding until you let off the gas. Neither is major problem or very $$$ to fix.
As for the hesitation and clunk in reverse to drive, sounds like either an ebrake or drum problem. Mine did the same thing. The fix was to rebuild the brakes and readjust the ebrake. Not too bad of ajob and not too $$$.
If you don't have one yet, get the Factory Service Manual (FSM), it will save alot of $$$$$. Also check out what has been suggested and try to get more specific so you can get a better diagnosis from the board.
Just post if you need more help, it is guaranteed that somebody here has had the same problem, no matter what it is. Welcome to the board.

I had a similar experience after changing my brake pads, a bolt came loose, and in reverse it went a little ways then stopped. the caliper was flopping around. :whoops: it was making a noise on the highway as well rattling against the rim.

Best case scenario: Loose exhaust and a sticky e-brake/shoe/wheel cylinder.

Worst case: mr. tranny has issues...which I doubt for now.

I would also lube the driveshafts as all sorts of fun noises come from those if not all lubed up, then tackle the exhaust...tighten and listen for noises.

Rear brakes are a bit more involved, but you should be able to do the ol e-brake adjust thing:

Put in reverse..back up a bit, pull e-brake with button held in about 5 times, then back up more, repeat. This will seat the brakes nicely in back unless they are jammed or otherwise stuck.

It REALLY sounds like something may be hung up in back.

I recently experienced the same groaning noise you are mentioning on my 93 LC....Test drove my friends 97 LC and has the similar noise, but very low and not pronounced as mine.. Concluded it was the LC shifting to the last/final gear.

Nick,
Check that the CDL switch is off.
-B-

Could also be extra slop in the t-case or perhaps even the pinion nut may be working lose?

Lots to consider!

Yeah, all these explanations are all of that I've been hearing from other boards. I'm getting a friend of mine to help me fix this problem but now I have it narrowed down a lot! Thanks guys for all you're help, I'll keep ya posted if I have any more problems I find while going over my truck. :D

one helpful thing would be where are you located?
there are a lot of us floating around you know.
Dave

[quote author=Phaedrus link=board=2;threadid=9602;start=msg84840#msg84840 date=1073326445]
one helpful thing would be where are you located?
there are a lot of us floating around you know.
Dave
[/quote]

I'm in Austin, TX 8)

hah wow, my car was fixed with a push of a button my dash by a friend :doh: :whoops:

Yeah, somehow the differential lock button was pushed when I had it washed and the light is out. So thats where the grinding and the other problem was coming from. Now just need to get the steering centered and teh wheels aligned, then I'm ready to mod :flipoff2:

I guess with newbies like Nick we can't expect them to understand our standard ih8mud abbreviations.

:D

-B-

CDL?! Center Diff Lock. Wow don't I feel stupid..well anyways thanks lol :cheers:

You're welcome. Is that Austin, TX like in Texas?
-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=9602;start=msg85341#msg85341 date=1073370163]
You're welcome. Is that Austin, TX like in Texas?
-B-
[/quote]

Yes it is. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom