Just bought a '96 Lexus LX450! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone! My partner and I just purchased a 1996 Lexus LX450 about a week ago. It has just under 200k miles, and we're currently sorting it for some light off-roading, camping, and dog car duties. It came with an Ironman 4x4 front bumper and 2" lift... and that's about it. Cosmetically, it's pretty good for a black car. The fill panel below the grille is dented, so I suspect that the Ironman bumper replaced a damaged factory unit (on that note, we'd like to go back to factory if anyone is selling). A rear door has also been painted, and the front seats have common splitting/general disrepair, so those will be addressed with some skins from Lseat.

A couple of hours after taking delivery, it threw a CEL, code P0171. Our mechanic cleaned the MAF, and it stayed away for a day, but then returned. As a result, we suspect a bad MAF. We've already had the upper and lower pan gaskets addressed, although now we have the somewhat common intermittent low oil level light -- another fun thing to sort out/live with. While up on the lift, we realized that the 275/70/R16s fitted have a date code of 2011, so those are being promptly replaced. We have some Firestone Destination X/Ts on order and went with the popular 285/75/R16 fitment. Fingers crossed the spare still fits under the car!

Otherwise, the LX just needs small things. I replaced the useless dash cubby with a cupholder, purchased some new speakers (fingers crossed they fit as I know these trucks are challenging), and bought some replacement seat gears for the passenger seat, which is currently pushed up against the dash.

My partner writes for Motor1.com, so the LX will be part of a build series on the site. The "stage zero" article is set to go up soon, so follow along! This forum has been a great resource thus far.

IMG_1428.jpeg

IMG_1429.jpeg

Nice car, looks just like mine only a Lexus.

P0171 is a lean mixture code. Has your mechanic checked for intake vacuum leaks first?
He has! We replaced several parts, but maybe we need to do a smoke test too.

The FZ engine has a couple common oil leaks that could be responsible for the low level light coming on. Distributor O-ring or the distributor itself is an easy one to check visually. The latter has been my worst leaker so far.

I didn't know the seat would go up that far. They can be manually adjusted if need be.

The FZ engine has a couple common oil leaks that could be responsible for the low level light coming on. Distributor O-ring or the distributor itself is an easy one to check visually. The latter has been my worst leaker so far.

I didn't know the seat would go up that far. They can be manually adjusted if need be.
The oil level reads as full on the dipstick so I don’t think it’s actively leaking. We can’t see anything under the car currently, so I think the sensor may have been jostled during the pan gasket replacement.

The seat isn’t actually up against the dash, but it’s tight for us 6 footers currently :)

Your good, you can fit a 35" tire up under there, it just looks terrible.
Good to know. We'll likely get a bumper carrier at some point, but for now, would prefer to not have it taking up space in the garage.

Just went through the P0171 code chase. Replaced MAF, checked for vacuum leaks (replaced air intake tube, as it had cracks), still CEL...finally ordered and replaced F/R O2 sensors. Use factory Denso ones:
Denso 234-4153
Denso 234-4157

Cant remember which is front and which is rear...they are labeled and one has a longer pig-tail (rear).
My CEL has not come on since!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom