Just barely staying alive at idle, full throttle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks to all who helped get my new Painless harness and DUI distributor dialed in. It started right up. Went for a long ride and after sufffering some occassional and intermittent backfiring, decided to take it home and maybe retard the timing just a degree. It was running strong.

I went to go start it up and found it wouldn't start , only a cylinder half firing and then dying. Found that my starter solnoid was bad (can you rebuild those?) and replaced it with a gear-reduction unit I had lying around. Now it starts fine, but it barely stumbles along its idle. It will half-heartedly rev up when it is floored (to a max of ~2000 rpm) but will stall or barely idle again when accelerater is let off. It cannot muster enough torque even to roll forward a few feet. It just stalls, even when revved.

The carb was rebuilt a few months ago, but I haven't looked inside yet. Possibly a bad fuel filter??? I'll go replace that in a few minutes, when the garage is slightly more aired out.

Any theories? I will, of course, check the static timing again...

Thanks all

Re:Just barely stumbling at idle

Maybe a vaccuum leak? I would check your vacuum ports and lines. If it is a vacuum leak, it would probably be a big one and noticeable they way you described your running problem.

Mike

I don't have any carb cleaner here to check,

...but I highly doubt any problems with lines (I JUST replaced them all, none kinked or old) or ports (they all look good.) I would have suspected a vacuum leak to come on more slowly...running perfect one day, barely alive the next.

Changed the fuel filter, same results.. ??? :mad: ??? :mad:

Got it on my own damn self

Plugged fuel filter and too-rich idle mixture screw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom