Just another filthy 1990 DLX ExCab thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update:

After 3” of rain over the past few
Days I’m happy to report my truck is still dry.

Nice truck! Reminds me of my 89
I too have some minor water leakage somewhere. After hurricane Ian my entire interior was damp :shock: but I think that partially to do with my ps rear window not wanting to latch all the way….
Also, how did you remover the louvre for the ac intake??

Nice truck! Reminds me of my 89
I too have some minor water leakage somewhere. After hurricane Ian my entire interior was damp :shock: but I think that partially to do with my ps rear window not wanting to latch all the way….
Also, how did you remover the louvre for the ac intake??
If we’re talking about the same part, the windshield wiper arms have to come off, and there are 4-5 stainless screws that need to be removed under the hood at the top of the firewall. It’s pretty easy and it’s pretty similar on my 80 series too.

Highly recommend the 3M body sealer product, not cheap, but available at my local NAPA. It’s pretty thick, so you need to make sure your caulking gun is up for the task!

@PNWTreeOctopus Sorry to bump the thread, but I was hoping to see wheel changes on your build. I've got a 1992 DLX 4x4. I inherited my truck after it had been buried in a field and never cleaned up after being recovered. I'm looking at a set of 2022 4runner wheels on facebook for $300 total. Can anyone tell me if these wheels fit?

@PNWTreeOctopus Sorry to bump the thread, but I was hoping to see wheel changes on your build. I've got a 1992 DLX 4x4. I inherited my truck after it had been buried in a field and never cleaned up after being recovered. I'm looking at a set of 2022 4runner wheels on facebook for $300 total. Can anyone tell me if these wheels fit?
Hmm, I’m not much of a wheel fit guru, but you will have more luck if you post the size of the wheel. I have no idea what the 22 T4R wheel size(s) are. Presumably the LTD vs SR5 vs. Trailvs TRDOR are different. But consider searching for a wheel fit thread first.

Sad to say this 1990 DLX is going to be for sale this summer. We are planning a cross country move and must thin the herd. We recently picked up a 2023 DCLB TRDOR and two trucks in redundant, especially in the city. I'm sure there will be a bit more etc between now and then as I solve a few lingering problems that might affect a sale in good conscience.

Couldn’t do it…

So despite already having a new DC Tacoma and an 80 series I couldn’t part with our little DLC. I ended up returning to the PNW to finish house repairs/interior painting and then I drove my little truck over 1,400 miles to Minnesota….but it needed a little work before that.

• Replaced both front calipers & Blead system
  • Replaced original spare tire
  • Had a good shop replace the timing chain
  • Shop replaced Radiator, Water pump and thermostat.
  • Fresh oil change
  • LED headlights
  • New stereo head and 6.5 inch speakers
Unfortunately the shop rushed my job, and made some mistakes, which made my 1,400 mile journey more tedious than it needed to be. On the way I fought a vacuum leak and was disappointed to discover that it was the main intake hose—it was installed, but was not tight…at all. That helped my power, but the truck still struggled on the journey.

I parked it for a couple of weeks and yesterday I checked the timing….off the charts low. At 5 degrees it’s back to its old self. I also changed some very old plugs. The plug wires appear to be new Toyota, but the PO has some very old and beat Toyota plugs. So a new set went in.

Happy to say my little red truck is now working better than ever. And I’m so glad I kept it. I’m planning on some rust prevention work to keep it from rusting away this winter.

IMG_1932.jpeg

Running Nicely...

Little Red DLX got a new distributor cap, rotor and packing (o-ring dust seal) today and a wash. I figured that the old cap and rotor would look similar to the plugs interns of wear. They were a little rough. I didn't manage to snap a photo before they went into the bin. Part of this process was to try out one of the local dealer's pars counters and see how friendly they were (and competent). I had a pleasant experience, but it wasn't amazing, prices were a bit high so I'll continue to order from the usual places.

I think that the little 22R-E has a little exhaust leak at the manifold. it has some snazzy stainless headers (unknown make) and they might not be sealing perfectly. the rest of the exhaust system looks pretty good considering how old the truck is. I'll snap some photos eventually.

Cleaned up some surface rust..

IMG_2093.jpeg

IMG_2095.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom