June ROTM - Back way to Crown King - Saturday, June 16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Believe the Verde Valley route from a couple of years ago is still. End up at higher/cooler elevation. Still in stage two restrictions but not closed?

Besides the forest svc website, we can call CK and ask if people are making it up the backside, they'd know....

Supposed to get some rain from the hurricane in Mexico this weekend, maybe they'll open stuff ahead of that? We can dream...

Besides the forest svc website, we can call CK and ask if people are making it up the backside, they'd know....

I did call the FS about that, they said it was closed, but I'll give a call to the town and make sure. I do have a backup plan I believe but need to confirm today it won't be restricted. Update soon.

UPDATE: CONFIRMED THE BACK WAY TO CROWN KING IS DEFINITELY CLOSED.... BUT, GOOD NEWS, THE FR 393 TO BARTLETT LAKE IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS! :bounce: (although the nice ranger who confirmed this was like "uhh have you been on that before? are you sure you want to go on that?? it's pretty rough" :rofl:)

PLEASE CONFIRM AGAIN IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND THIS RUN, I DON'T EXPECT ALL WHO WERE IN FOR CROWN KING TO NECESSARILY GO ON THIS RUN.

SEE UPDATED FIRST POST FOR RUN DETAILS!!
Meet-up will be 7:30 AM at Baja Gas station off 87. :steer:

Fun run but I am out. Stay Cool

Sadly I will be helping a friend move. I will have to wait for July. If anyone does a trip in the mean time please let me know!

UPDATE: CONFIRMED THE BACK WAY TO CROWN KING IS DEFINITELY CLOSED.... BUT, GOOD NEWS, THE FR 393 TO BARTLETT LAKE IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS! :bounce: (although the nice ranger who confirmed this was like "uhh have you been on that before? are you sure you want to go on that?? it's pretty rough" :rofl:)

PLEASE CONFIRM AGAIN IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND THIS RUN, I DON'T EXPECT ALL WHO WERE IN FOR CROWN KING TO NECESSARILY GO ON THIS RUN.

SEE UPDATED FIRST POST FOR RUN DETAILS!!
Meet-up will be 7:30 AM at Baja Gas station off 87. :steer:

As long as this trail is dry, it's not too challenging. The biggest issues are all off-camber spots on shelf roads, I can't think of any otherwise technically challenging spots. In fact, we convinced Tonto to run some equipment in there this past spring from the north end to address some of the off-camber spots so it may be easier than ever. There is that one caveat though- if there is any water at all, this is a dangerous trail. There are a couple of 50-yard plus stretches of off-camber that turn slick as gorilla snot when wet. I personally nearly went off the edge on one, had to pound in an anchor and winch myself sideways while two other trucks daisy-chain pulled me back onto a flat area. This was not a situation you could avoid by going slow and careful, every foot forward sent me a foot closer to the edge. My advice is to check the weather as the day approaches.

393 connects to Log Corral (FR3456) on the south end, which makes for a nice loop. Log Corral can be challenging at times, although the last time I ran it, in January of this year, it wasn't too bad. Here's the trip report from that day if you're interested. I like to try that end first, it only takes about 10 minutes to get to the rock garden and see if the rigs in the group will have any issues, and then you can always turn around and head up to the north end if necessary.

As long as this trail is dry, it's not too challenging. The biggest issues are all off-camber spots on shelf roads, I can't think of any otherwise technically challenging spots. In fact, we convinced Tonto to run some equipment in there this past spring from the north end to address some of the off-camber spots so it may be easier than ever. There is that one caveat though- if there is any water at all, this is a dangerous trail. There are a couple of 50-yard plus stretches of off-camber that turn slick as gorilla snot when wet. I personally nearly went off the edge on one, had to pound in an anchor and winch myself sideways while two other trucks daisy-chain pulled me back onto a flat area. This was not a situation you could avoid by going slow and careful, every foot forward sent me a foot closer to the edge. My advice is to check the weather as the day approaches.

393 connects to Log Corral (FR3456) on the south end, which makes for a nice loop. Log Corral can be challenging at times, although the last time I ran it, in January of this year, it wasn't too bad. Here's the trip report from that day if you're interested. I like to try that end first, it only takes about 10 minutes to get to the rock garden and see if the rigs in the group will have any issues, and then you can always turn around and head up to the north end if necessary.

Thanks for the insight. I've run this a couple of times and do remember the off-camber areas. As of this morning the weather looked dry, but now there are chances of scattered thunderstorms. Will monitor this as we approach the end of the week.

CONFIRM YOU ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND THIS RUN.

Meet-up will be 7:30 AM at Baja Gas station off 87.

@Rooty245 and family will see you at the Baja gas station in our hundy Saturday morning. Thanks @Abigail

So, my first off road adventure and in a stock 200. In over my head or doable? @-Spike- trip report from January states "These routes are rough and not stock-friendly".

If you like your bumpers this trail is not for you. If you are going to eventually replace your front and back bumper then your fine. You will likely scrap both.

Not going to ask how you know how slick gorilla snot is? :rolleyes:

I know it's been brought up that Crown King run did not require a State Trust Land permit, seems when your east of I-17 some of those areas do.:meh:

Was in the valley for a unscheduled trip yesterday. Too hot for me. But it is supposed to cool off this weekend. In the sixties on the rim with a 80% chance of rain on Saturday. Cools off would be a plus, rain maybe not.

If you like your bumpers this trail is not for you. If you are going to eventually replace your front and back bumper then your fine. You will likely scrap both.

That's what I needed to know. I'm going to pass on this one.

Out. I think the fire on my front seat was trying to tell me something...

Thanks for the insight. I've run this a couple of times and do remember the off-camber areas. As of this morning the weather looked dry, but now there are chances of scattered thunderstorms. Will monitor this as we approach the end of the week.
I’m still in sounds like fun. As long as we don’t have rain, and gorilla snot, and going over the edge thing..... then maybe not so fun. I’m still a newbie but am eager to learn, I have a lift and sliders on my 200 now so the vehicle should be fine, but any experienced advice along the way I appreciate. @Abigail if you could bring an extra Ham for me to monitor that’d be great!

I'm jonesing for some outdoor time so I'll be there and I can bring an extra ham if needed

When I posted earlier this morning the weather looked nice, but the chance of storms Saturday has changed from 0% to 50% to 80% (mostly in the AM) all in a few hours today, due to the growing hurricane in the gulf. With all the forecasts fluctuating so much I'm definitely optimistic they're overestimating and the rain will come later than expected (maybe Sunday). IF however it's Friday and the chance of thunderstorms during those morning Saturday hours is still very high, we will make a no-go decision.

BUT if that does happen, I will attempt to reschedule for the following Saturday, the 23rd. OR maybe by then the rain will cause a lessening of fire restrictions and the original CK run can happen...who knows.

Please check back on this thread Friday afternoon for confirmation if this run will take place as scheduled or not. Thanks!

Potentially the last cool weather till fall so any run will be good. Let us know Abigail :clap:

I know it's been brought up that Crown King run did not require a State Trust Land permit, seems when your east of I-17 some of those areas do.:meh:
If that was a question, everything between Phoenix and Payson off of SR87 is Forest Service land, no STL permit required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom