June ROTM - Back way to Crown King - Saturday, June 16 (1 Viewer)

Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
19,615
If that was a question, everything between Phoenix and Payson off of SR87 is Forest Service land, no STL permit required.

Guess it was a question. I just remember Table Mesa road heading east toward Seven Springs was a major issue for a club member. Not familiar with this section. Just think a club run should mention if any special permits are required or not. Enough new members who probably don't know about the hassle and cost of the ticket on State Trust Land. Really not trying to be a a$$ just helpful. I off-road in the north half of the state where State Trust Land is rare, because of that I have yet to buy a annual State Trust Land permit. I do pay attention to the fact it's needed to just cross State Trust Land according to some LEOs. New members may not about the permits and shouldn't assume everybody does.
 
Joined
Oct 10, 2017
Messages
1,281
Location
Phoenix AZ
Is there a backup to the backup trail if the rain makes this not doable? Anywhere we could still go tomorrow that would actually be better when slightly wet and not too hot? Or, is this already the backup to the backup option (DeSoto Mine • Crown King • Bartlett) and this is it for tomorrow?
 
Joined
Apr 11, 2016
Messages
795
Location
Phoenix, AZ
@Rooty245 @murf @DPA200 @ARJMN @samtoddlee @Cruddz @ProBro

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news everyone but it looks like this run is NOT going to happen.... Bartlett Lake to Mount Ord area forecast shows 60-80% rain starting around midnight tonight and continuing until around 5pm or later on Saturday. I'd say that equals a slippery sloppy mess, and I don't think it would be wise at all to attempt this off-camber trail in those conditions.

Is there a backup to the backup trail if the rain makes this not doable? Anywhere we could still go tomorrow that would actually be better when slightly wet and not too hot? Or, is this already the backup to the backup option (DeSoto Mine • Crown King • Bartlett) and this is it for tomorrow?

At this point I don't have any other backups for day-trip trails nearby that are not in a restricted area or that won't be rained out (considering only trails I've run before-- don't want to lead a ROTM without a previous run of it). If anyone has an idea of a trail they've done that will work in rain and/or isn't restricted and would like to take the lead, you are welcome to post up.

Hoping with this rain maybe Crown King will be accessible again soon-- if there's still interest in running that trail I'll try to organize something later this month or early July (not to infringe on @Dimples TBD ROTM plans, though).

Bummed this didn't happen, I'm itching to get out! Sorry all!

Edit: you should all come to tonight's meeting, though! :)
 
Last edited:
Joined
Jan 15, 2016
Messages
56
Location
Mesa Arizona
Better safe than sorry:) Sure appreciate your updates and excellent planning @Abigail . Our meteorologist at work agrees with your assessment. With the Sycamore area fires two years ago that area could see flash floods and get extra ugly. Will try to get to tonight's QT run of the month:)
 
Joined
May 18, 2018
Messages
232
Location
Phoenix
@Rooty245 @murf @DPA200 @ARJMN @samtoddlee @Cruddz @ProBro

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news everyone but it looks like this run is NOT going to happen.... Bartlett Lake to Mount Ord area forecast shows 60-80% rain starting around midnight tonight and continuing until around 5pm or later on Saturday. I'd say that equals a slippery sloppy mess, and I don't think it would be wise at all to attempt this off-camber trail in those conditions.



At this point I don't have any other backups for day-trip trails nearby that are not in a restricted area or that won't be rained out (considering only trails I've run before-- don't want to lead a ROTM without a previous run of it). If anyone has an idea of a trail they've done that will work in rain and/or isn't restricted and would like to take the lead, you are welcome to post up.

Hoping with this rain maybe Crown King will be accessible again soon-- if there's still interest in running that trail I'll try to organize something later this month or early July (not to infringe on @Dimples TBD ROTM plans, though).

Bummed this didn't happen, I'm itching to get out! Sorry all!

Edit: you should all come to tonight's meeting, though! :)

Thanks @Abigail ! Mother Nature sure didn't make this month's ROTM easy for you.
 
Joined
Oct 10, 2017
Messages
1,281
Location
Phoenix AZ
I talked to Debbie at the Bradshaw Ranger District today. The Prescott closure for backway to Crown King is still in effect this weekend, even with the cool off and rain. No info on when/if the closure would be listed. Oh well, that was my last attempt for now. Thanks @Abigail for all the coordinating, hopefully, we'll make it out somewhere soon.
 
Joined
Oct 10, 2017
Messages
1,281
Location
Phoenix AZ
Woke up at 4 this morning for no reason so I hit the road did a quickie in the rain at Roll OHV area before the family woke up

8FF5ADAA-D96C-4C89-8C2C-C441F2FFBBED.jpeg
 

murf

Lifer
Joined
Jun 24, 2007
Messages
10,517
Location
Scottsdale, Arizona
Woke up at 4 this morning for no reason so I hit the road did a quickie in the rain at Roll OHV area before the family woke up

View attachment 1724260

That's funny, I also got up early and took the FJ40 to Baja gas station and drove north along the Verde river and the pecan groves (love that area) and kept heading North until I got to the Box Bar rec area in Rio verde. Although no 4wheeling was involved, it is a scenic drive with little to no traffic.
 
Joined
Oct 10, 2017
Messages
1,281
Location
Phoenix AZ
That's funny, I also got up early and took the FJ40 to Baja gas station and drove north along the Verde river and the pecan groves (love that area) and kept heading North until I got to the Box Bar rec area in Rio verde. Although no 4wheeling was involved, it is a scenic drive with little to no traffic.
Funny indeed, I was at that same gas station on my way out Sunday. The drive sounds nice I’ll have to check that out sometime
 
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
19,615
Supposed to get some rain from the hurricane in Mexico this weekend, maybe they'll open stuff ahead of that? We can dream...


Drove down the rim and thru Camp Verse today. Both Coconino and Prescott National Forests have sign up at ranger stations still sound fire danger at extreme even with the rain Saturday. Sunday went to Flagstaff driving up FH3. Could not see any water in Mormon Lake. Upper Lake Mary was way down and lower Lake Mary was just a small pond. In the Baker Butte/Happy Jack areas there were six lighting cause fires on Wednesday. With the current conditions I wouldn't look to see any restrictions lifted. If anything would expect more closures.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom