June ROTM - Back way to Crown King - Saturday, June 16 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
UPDATE 06/15/2018 @11:45AM - RUN CANCELED - Weather forecast shows high chance of rain beginning at midnight Friday through 5pm Saturday-- this trail is off-camber and not safe in wet conditions. Sorry!

UPDATE 06/12/18 - ALTERNATIVE RUN CONFIRMED! WE WILL BE RUNNING FR 393 TO BARTLETT LAKE! (Crown King is still closed, double confirm on this one-- so it's definitely out)

UPDATE 05/30/18 - DUE TO IMPENDING FIRE CLOSURES IN PRESCOTT NATIONAL FOREST, THIS RUN WILL MOST LIKELY NEED TO BE CANCELED :( WILL CONFIRM ONCE CLOSER TO DATE IF CLOSURES ARE STILL IN EFFECT

For the June ROTM we will be running FR 393 to Bartlett Lake. The weather on Saturday is only supposed to be in the low 90s, so this run should be pretty nice. Here's a link to the last time the club ran it (we will not be doing Log Corral option this time). November ROTM w/camping option - FR393 to Bartlett Lake/Log Corral to Bartlett Lake

This trail starts about 30 miles north of Phoenix off of the 87 Beeline Highway, and takes about 2.5 hours each way. We will stop at the lake to hang out/eat lunch, and plan to be back to the highway by mid-late afternoon.

I have run this trail with my stock 100 series on 33s, however, I did scrape the rear bumper a bit...if you have a long wheel base, I'd recommend probably having a bit of a lift, unless you want an excuse for a fancy new rear bumper... :hmm: The roads may have changed somewhat since the last run, it's been almost 2 years and who knows how the rains may have altered the switchbacks in that time. There are a couple off-camber areas that may cause the less experienced driver to pucker. Overall though this is a pretty stocker friendly run, and it's a lot of fun with absolutely beautiful scenery.

NOTE: Meet time has been changed to 7:30 AM-- allowing for gas up, driving to the trail head, airing down, we'll be on the trail no later than 9:00 AM and make it to the lake between 11:30 AM and 12:00 PM.

When: Saturday, June 16, 2018 @ 7:30 AM
Where: Meet at the Baja Gas station off Hwy 87 (10180 N Fort McDowell Rd, Fort McDowell, AZ 85264)

I won't assume everyone who planned on attending CK will want to do this run, so please confirm again if you do plan to attend. Thank you!! The tentative attendee list is below.

Recommend Items
  • Bring plenty of water!
  • Lunch!;)
  • A way to air down
  • Onboard air is nice but we can air you up if necessary
  • If unlicensed HAM, it's still nice to have a handheld to monitor and/or for emergencies. I'll have a couple extras with me
Attendees
  1. @Abigail + maybe @Dimples ride along
  2. @Rooty245
  3. @murf
  4. @DPA200
  5. @ARJMN ??
  6. @samtoddlee
  7. @Cruddz ??

(If you pay attention to the CSC meeting minutes you may have heard talk about an original plan to run DeSoto Mine this month, but the pre-run last weekend was cut short due to some technical difficulties with @Chrismanjs front end :doh:, and unfortunately I don't have time to go back and finish that pre-run any time in the next few weeks, so Crown King it is!)

Crown King is a very popular trail with great scenic views and a nice spot to grab a lunch at the end. Although probably many CSC members have run this trail numerous times, I believe it's been a long time since the club officially ran it, and because we've had a lot of new members joining up:clap:, they may not be as familiar, and this is a good run to get your feet wet on.

Yes, it will be "warm." Yes, there will probably be other traffic. But it will be fun! Once we get up to higher elevations toward Crown King, the temps should cool off.:cool:

When: Saturday, June 16, 2018 @ 7:00 AM (yes, it's early, but we want to beat the heat, and the other traffic!)
Where: Meet at the Chevron off Carefree Highway & I-17

This will be a quick day trip, I do not have any plans to try to camp due to the heat, but anyone is welcome to do their own thing once we make it to Crown King. Day trippers from the Valley will easily make it back to Phoenix by mid-afternoon, just in time to get ready for all your Father's Day festivities.

About the Trail

This is a fun and moderate trail, and a stock 4x4 Toyota should be able to make it. For those of you who want a bit more excitement, there are plenty of more technical offshoots to test your skills. :steer:I recall @Dimples doing some wheelies last time we were up there... :grinpimp: The road does tend to change with the rains and snow, and last time I was up there it looked to be due for maintenance, so it may be even more exciting than remembered...:hmm: According to Backway to Crown King | AZoffroading.com the trail is about 34 miles long, and shouldn't take more than 4-5 hours. If we make good time, we should make it up to Crown King in time to grab some lunch at The Mill (at least that's what I plan to do!):popcorn:

Please post up if you plan to attend so I can get a good idea about the group size! :cheers:

Recommend Items
  • Bring plenty of water!
  • Maybe a snack!;)
  • A way to air down
  • Onboard air is nice but we can air you up if necessary
  • If unlicensed HAM, it's still nice to have a handheld to monitor and/or for emergencies. I'll have a couple extras with me
Attendees

1. @Abigail
  2. @DPA200
  3. @Chrismanjs (tentative)
  4. @ARJMN
  5. @samtoddlee
  6. @Cruddz
  7. @AZCRSR (tentative)
  8. @ProBro
  9. @murf (tentative)

Last edited:
I plan on being there in my 200. This will be my 1st ROTM sounds like fun. Good Father’s Day present to myself. The chevron, is this at 3150 W Carefree Highway?

I am a maybe depending on truck being back up and running. And other plans as it will be getting close to my wedding.

Should be nice and cool up top in CK

I plan on being there in my 200. This will be my 1st ROTM sounds like fun. Good Father’s Day present to myself. The chevron, is this at 3150 W Carefree Highway?

Yep! To the east of I-17, in the Albertsons parking lot. It's hard to miss!

Yep! To the east of I-17, in the Albertsons parking lot. It's hard to miss!
Great thanks! Any other newbie advice for my 1st CSC run? I'm usually traveling solo, new to a group run. Is a CB or Ham radio needed? Anything other advice?

Count me in.

I still have all the hot dogs from the Mojave Road trip. I can grill them up for lunch, or leave them in the freezer for an overnight ROTM. No biggie either way. Chili, cheese, and Hat Dag Fixins are easy.

I plan on joining in. Been years since I've been to Crown King.

Abigail would my mostly stock 62 be okay on this run? or should I bring my more built 80 series?

I am a maybe depending on truck being back up and running. And other plans as it will be getting close to my wedding.

You deserve as many outings as possible while still a "free man," also need to test out your fancy new front end!
Great thanks! Any other newbie advice for my 1st CSC run? I'm usually traveling solo, new to a group run. Is a CB or Ham radio needed? Anything other advice?

I don't have a CB, I am HAM licensed so I use that for trail comms. If you don't have one, I have 2 extras I will bring with me. We try not to encourage unlicensed use of HAM but it's fine to monitor, and if really necessary, you have a way to communicate.

I'd recommend having a way to air down your tires, but we can help with that if you don't have deflators. Onboard air is helpful too, but again we can assist if you do not have already.

Obviously bringing along basic recovery gear is recommended, ways to change a tire, etc.

Count me in.

I still have all the hot dogs from the Mojave Road trip. I can grill them up for lunch, or leave them in the freezer for an overnight ROTM. No biggie either way. Chili, cheese, and Hat Dag Fixins are easy.

Cool, if you want to bring along, that'd be nice. There is a spot we could stop for lunch if people want. I have all the condiments that @Stepmurr had contributed for that Mojave run.

Anyone willing to bring buns?

Abigail would my mostly stock 62 be okay on this run? or should I bring my more built 80 series?

I would think your 62 would do fine if you stick to the main road and avoid the "optional routes." There are some steep areas and tight switchbacks. A few ledges to climb on, nothing excessive. I've never personally wheeled a 60 or 62 so someone please correct me if I'm off base, but I've been on enough runs with 60s to see what they can do, so a 3fe should have an easier time tbh.

You deserve as many outings as possible while still a "free man," also need to test out your fancy new front end!

I don't have a CB, I am HAM licensed so I use that for trail comms. If you don't have one, I have 2 extras I will bring with me. We try not to encourage unlicensed use of HAM but it's fine to monitor, and if really necessary, you have a way to communicate.

I'd recommend having a way to air down your tires, but we can help with that if you don't have deflators. Onboard air is helpful too, but again we can assist if you do not have already.

Obviously bringing along basic recovery gear is recommended, ways to change a tire, etc.

Front end and middle end. Practically a whole new drive train!

I'm a maybe. Need to see if I can move some things around.

Anyone have recommendations on a good deflator and recovery gear? This is all new to me...

Thanks @Abigail. yeah if you bring an extra HAM you could bring for me that'd be awesome. I'll add the "getting the license" to my future to-do list, but being able to monitor for now would be very helpful. I do have tire delators and a Viair to air back up. Recovery gear i only currently have a pair of Tred's, no winch/bumpers either. Do you think i should buy something basic like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-RK12-Wee...pID=41zJz51E-3L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I also don't have a hi-lift jack yet, do you have something you recommend or you think enough others will have along?

Thanks @Abigail. yeah if you bring an extra HAM you could bring for me that'd be awesome. I'll add the "getting the license" to my future to-do list, but being able to monitor for now would be very helpful. I do have tire delators and a Viair to air back up. Recovery gear i only currently have a pair of Tred's, no winch/bumpers either. Do you think i should buy something basic like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-RK12-Wee...pID=41zJz51E-3L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I also don't have a hi-lift jack yet, do you have something you recommend or you think enough others will have along?
That is a pretty good recovery starter set. You don’t need a high lift others will have one and it is not always the best recovery tool, just depends on the situation. The strap and D rings are a great start. Ask what others have and go from there see what people carry.

That is a pretty good recovery starter set. You don’t need a high lift others will have one and it is not always the best recovery tool, just depends on the situation. The strap and D rings are a great start. Ask what others have and go from there see what people carry.
Cool thanks. Looks like both me and @AZCRSR are both new to this, and are both in the market for basic recovery gear. Any recommendations anybody other than the ARB RK12 ARB Weekender with Amazon link above?

I'm a maybe. Need to see if I can move some things around.

Anyone have recommendations on a good deflator and recovery gear? This is all new to me...

The stock jack that comes with your truck is a good start for recovery gear. LCP's jack adapter is a nice addition, but not required. I highly doubt we will run into a need for any major type of recovery on this trail, but it never hurts to have some items. I always seem to pop a tire somehow. :flush:

Regarding deflator suggestions:
https://www.amazon.com/ARB-ARB505-E...7273708&sr=8-4&keywords=arb+tire+deflator+kit This ARB Deflator works well and quickly, I own one. There's a knockoff available too that I hear is just as good. https://www.amazon.com/tire-Deflato...8&qid=1527276600&sr=1-3&keywords=e-z+deflator

For the more lazy folk, these type of tire deflators work well, but must be calibrated for the PSI you want to run, which can be a bit of a pain and aren't guaranteed to stay at the setting (recommend 18-20 PSI for "normal" off-roading). This is the brand I own, but there are others out there: https://www.amazon.com/Coyote-Autom...27276626&sr=1-4&keywords=coyote+tire+deflator

Regarding other recovery gear, I'd recommend first buying a couple D-rings and making sure you have points on your truck to attach them to. A set of gloves. A shovel. Then start going on trails with other people who already have gear and know how to use it. Once you get into a few situations with them and figure out what's needed and how best to use it, then start building up your stash. It's not helpful to buy a bunch of stuff and have no experience using it.

Last edited:
Thanks Abigail. I have never ran this route and would love to but that weekend I am out of state so unfortunately I will have to send regrets this time. Have fun!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom