June POTM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll start with some pics
side1.jpg
enginebay-1.jpg
rearview.jpg

I found this pig two winters ago. The previous owner had moved to Texas and left it behind. She found it in Cali and bought it when the owner (her neighbor)passed away.I had heard of this pig six months or so before I actually saw it. Someone told my wife about this "70's landcruiser with a chevy motor and some rust" (insert visions of rusty deathtrap here). I let it go until a buddy of mine started looking for a four wheel drive. The gal didn't want too much for it and payments were negotiable so we went to take a look. It was covered by a blue tarp (that is still stuck to the roof in spots). I lifted one corner and had that "wow" moment that people have when they find an old car in a barn. I looked at my buddy and said "bad news is you can't buy this truck; good news though- you can buy my trailduster for $500". He was pissed at me for months (but he still has the trailduster) :).The snow was several feet deep and took hours to dig out. Both batteries were dead. The alternator needed shimmed and the belt was worn when it did fire up, and the thermostat housing was leaking. Once I got it in gear and drove it out of the hole I was amazed. When you've got hardpack around a buried rig you have no idea how tall it is. It was lifted and sitting on 33's. Got my first wave one the test drive (1/4 mile). Got my first head turn on the way back.
rearcargo.jpg
rearcargoout.jpg

Last edited:
Okay. The good. Warmed over 350, 700r4 auto (nice to have overdrive), b&m ratchet shifter, full guages, tranny cooler, disk brakes, dual battery, sag power steering conversion, piaa relays for the kc and backup light (tailgater light), full alarm, line lock, lo jack, a gun safe under the seat (that I still don't know how to open ???), ironman springs, custom sunroof, power windows, two 6x9'2, two tweets, two mids, two subs, two amps for the mids and one BIG one for the subs, ricaro bucket seats (heated), custom console that runs power for the windows and kc's and hides the stereo and cb, soundproofed, custom carpet, custom headliner, chromed bumpers that are bent back at 30 degrees (maybe that's stock but I don't have another to compare to).Decent starting point :).I added a winch and xm stereo. It's been a task going back through and repairing the systems that someone else put in. When I bought it the stereo didn't work and even the shop that installed it wouldn't touch it for repairs. The guys at the parts store LOVE me.
intriorrear.jpg
consoleop.jpg

Last edited:
I have some more action shots I'll rotate in as the month goes on.

As well as ..............CANCER shots ;) .
winch.jpg
Moab06-1.jpg

I dig the yellow kinda reminds me of a banana being unpeeled but its awesome to see people go with a more unique character.

Oh wow... I have been waiting to see more of this thing. I want it.
Hope my cruisers go somewhere good when I kick the bucket... Most of my family would send 'em to the wrecker because they aren't hybreds...
What are the boxes in the back? Speakers? storage? Both?
And I assume you meant it would be nice to have O.D. with the 400?
Can't wait to see more.

Hey, where's the "and some rust "? that thing is way too clean! When I hear of a cruiser with "some", it means "some unrusted areas".

I'm no chevy man so maybe someone can chime in here. My buddy claimed it was a t400, and he's a chevy guy. I just know it has four gears.

The boxes are for speakers. Way overkill but to each his own I guess. I'm certainly not complaining. The minor lack of storage is made up for by daily entertainment.

Not to worry; the rust pics are coming up next......... uh oh..............

There is a reason I have a spare roof in my sideyard ;)

TH350, and TH400 transmissions are three speeds... If you have four gears, it is a 700r4 trans (three speed + overdrive as a fourth gear).

And isn't it about time for someone to stick this thread?

NICE truck! That said, I have two questions.

1) how wide are the tires? the wheels seem a bit thick for them.

2) are you going to keep the headers? They look like they take up a ton of usable space under the hood.

TH350, and TH400 transmissions are three speeds... If you have four gears, it is a 700r4 trans (three speed + overdrive as a fourth gear).

And isn't it about time for someone to stick this thread?

Thanks!

Don't know where the sticky fairy lives but I agree; time for some 3m.

The tires are 33 X 9.5

I am probably going with 35 X 12.5 next time. These are the tires that were on it when I bought it.

As far as the headers go I can't think of what else I would fit under the hood anyway. I have thought about making it a little quieter though. I don't need a/c here so I'm not to worried about needing room for that.

................and some rust :eek:............

I think we all know what I will find under the bubbled paint........:eek::doh::mad:

Still hashing out how I am going to do the roof. Since this is already beyond saving as a "restorable" rig I'm leaning towards "custom". I think a two piece removable top would be COOL. I may save this one as a winter roof (one peice) or cut the entire center out and have a full size canvas snap safari top.

Since this is already beyond saving as a "restorable" rig I'm leaning towards "custom".

I am in the same boat with regards to your comment above... you have some good ideas so please share more about the "two piece" top? Sounds cool..... as Gumby mentioned in another thread, the 4runner softops are darn close to the pig dimensions and fortunately a good friend of mine just sent me a practically new black can-back:grinpimp: wondering more about a replaceable winter hardtop since you mentioned it....:popcorn:

I have some more action shots I'll rotate in as the month goes. ;) .

Let's see some wheelin pics while there's still time!

And what is the dark area inset into your headliner right in front of your domelight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom