Jumping Jack trailers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thats a great write up, I think both trailers have there perpose, I work 6 block's from the place they make the Jumping Jack trailers, I have always liked them, I find them a bit pricey, But compared to other more hard core trailer's, I think its very reasonable.
Once again, Great write up!

expeditionswest said:
...You just cant sleep 4 or 5 people comfortably with that arrangement, which many families are faced with. You also cannot stand up and change in one, or have a table and pot-a-potty inside, which many people want (mostly to appease a significant other).

The Jumping Jack trailer provides a great deal of room and sleeping comfort. It also allows hauling 2 ATV's or a large Zodiac, which is what I intend to do with it. I can haul a 14' Zodiac, the motor and tons of gear on this trailer for trips to Baja. The compromise is off-road performance and weight.

OK, It's more like an RV or Coleman TT type accomodation. Living space indoors. I use a dining fly for the cooking, shade, shower stuff. But then, I don't inhabit populus campgrounds. It does look comfortable.

MS

Christo...

So does this mean you might becoming a dealer for those trailers?

Vitesse_6 said:
Thats a great write up, I think both trailers have there perpose, I work 6 block's from the place they make the Jumping Jack trailers, I have always liked them, I find them a bit pricey, But compared to other more hard core trailer's, I think its very reasonable.
Once again, Great write up!

Thanks for the feedback and kind words! :)

quick question on the jumpin jack,, when your packed up with the quads on back, is there anything more than the expanded metal to protect the tent?? If your bouncing around on rough roads or trails loaded up and the fuel in the quad carb goes out the vent tube would it go right on the canvas tent?? That would make camping in it uncomfortable??
SC

Has anyone been in the Overland large tent, like on the Horizon or Chaser Trailers? How big are they? The picture shows a family of four sleeping in it, but awfully close. May not be speaking to my two kids after they were kicking me in the face all night.

The Jumping Jack tent seems like it would sleep a family of four much more comfortably. I would appreciate comments from anyone who's been inside either one. Thanks.

Has anyone been in the Overland large tent, like on the Horizon or Chaser Trailers? How big are they? The picture shows a family of four sleeping in it, but awfully close. May not be speaking to my two kids after they were kicking me in the face all night.

The Jumping Jack tent seems like it would sleep a family of four much more comfortably. I would appreciate comments from anyone who's been inside either one. Thanks.

SPortsman warehouse here in town sells them. Some weekend we plan to go down and have them open one up for us. If nobody has replied by then I'll post up my impressions.

We've got the king size Overland on our Horizon. Depending upon your definition of 'comfortable' it could sleep two adults and junior or 2x junior...but IMO not enough comfort, as I define comfortable, room for average size Dad, Mom & say a couple 10-year olds. Heck...let the kids sleep in the LC :D. Plus...if your kids need to get up in the middle of the night and need help with the ladder...

A nit of mine regarding the Overland: The doors are the awnings. I think the Eezi Awn is better designed from this perspective...you can have the awnings up with the tent door open or closed...offers better protection from rain, sun, wind, etc....plus bigger windows for increased ventilation in warm/hot conditions. So much for "Italian Designed" (Overland).

Ouch $50k?

they are not bad,
The best camper i have seen has the correct name IMHO.

ultimate camper

alayers2.gif

I've had my JumpingJack since '05 and love it. If anyone would like info about them and thier use please feel free to shoot me an email.

I am really amazed that the conclusion on the solution isn't to simply buy / build an off road capable trailer with a sturdy top, and put a roof top tent on it.

Is this a search for a more "RV like" bush camping solution?

I have a little trailer with a top that can carry a roof rack and support a roof top tent, a boat, a rack of additional gear, amost anything under 500 or so pounds. Am I missing the point somehow?

Mike S

Yes, maybe you are. The best solution depends on your needs. I need room to sleep two adults and three Golden Retrievers. I have a Kelty Green River 4 tent that works great, but I get tired of looking for a flat, smooth place to set up a 9'x9' tent. (We do all our cooking and living outside, so it isn't a quest for the "RV like" experience.)
A rooftop tent just doesn't work for the dogs, who really don't deal well with climbing ladders. I need something they can hop up into without assistance.
That pretty much means a pop-up tent trailer with a low floor/entrance.

Hello,

I was curious to know if you still have your Jumping Jack Trailer? What was your overall impression of it and would you buy one again??

Thanks,

Holy old thread! I mean, it's like 5 years old... good to see most of you guys are still around :cheers:

I ended up getting a small Coleman popup, then doing a spring-over to it. So far it's gotten everywhere I wanted it to go, and the heat inside is a nice feature for the :princess: and kiddos... I still dream of building up a custom one some day though.

Anyone have any experience with one of these? http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/index.cfm It's a utility trailer with an all-canvas popup tent, you can load stuff on top of it once the tent is collapsed, or remove the tent completely and use it as a utility trailer. Wouldn't haul a car, but would be ok for getting dirt, bark, wood, few rocks, etc.

There's a dealer up in Longmont, I checked one out last summer and thought they were pretty cool, inside the tent was big, nothing fancy like a camper or popup (no sink), just two double beds on each side, with a table in the middle. Yao Ming could stand up in the center of the thing.. This trailer seems to fulfill every one of my trailer needs, with the exception of being able to move a vehicle or a large amount of rock, but I can live with that. IIRC, they were about $1200 with a brake, or $1000 w/o a brake, also 15" rims.

How do you know if a trailer is built well? can anyone talk me out of getting one of these? :confused: :eek:

We bought one used for about $3k and it was in perfect condition! We used it a few times - but eventually scrapped it. In the snow it was great, held up well. Used a propane tank outside to power a heater inside. Could hang things under the rails from bungies and keep them up off ground and sheltered. But we had some major problems...

It was NOT easy to remove the tent part. It was NOT easy to store it out of the trailer if you needed just a trailer. They want WAY TOO MUCH for extra parts. The metal parts inside easily rust. It was almost impossible to haul our dirt bikes on top... Didnt stay put, bent the grating, no good way to secure them. We planned to fabricate some custom metal braces to hold in place but never got around to it.

In the end it was way to easy to completely ruin the tent... see below.

We had to leave it with family following an accident coming home from camping and came to get it a few days later. It had rained and a small amount of water had gotten into the tent. Usually we use our $500 heavy duty cover over it while not in use. It took only small amount of water to rust the entire inside (think a metal frame sitting in a kiddie pool - if water gets in somehow or you spill something it CANNOT be cleaned out easily) and starts growing mold everywhere. We tried to fix things by cleaning & patching the mold stains (because it was folded up mold got EVERYWHERE), replacing the floor, table, all the bed foam, stripping out ALL the metal parts (yes... ALLLLL) and cleaning those up with a grinder & new spray coating etc. It was a PAIN! And in the end we would have had to replace all the hydrolic parts to make it manageable as a tent - possibly. The replacement parts were absurdly expensive!!! It was insane!!! They wanted $600 to replace the bed cushions, $200 for the table. (Although we got the replacements elsewhere for way less). It really would have been cheaper to buy a whole new unit. So we stopped trying. And now use it as a trailer only.

After stripping the entire tent (and putting it back together) and having a background in metal working and fabrication, I was less & less impressed with the JJ's durability. It was too easy to ruin it and too hard to make repairs.

Trailer is great! I miss the idea of the tent so we got a canvas wall tent and use that inside the trailer and works well. Can easily store it in a garage, easily clean it out, its a better concept overall - and cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom