Jumping Jack trailers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nakman

addict.
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.gamiviti.com
Anyone have any experience with one of these? http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/index.cfm It's a utility trailer with an all-canvas popup tent, you can load stuff on top of it once the tent is collapsed, or remove the tent completely and use it as a utility trailer. Wouldn't haul a car, but would be ok for getting dirt, bark, wood, few rocks, etc.

There's a dealer up in Longmont, I checked one out last summer and thought they were pretty cool, inside the tent was big, nothing fancy like a camper or popup (no sink), just two double beds on each side, with a table in the middle. Yao Ming could stand up in the center of the thing.. This trailer seems to fulfill every one of my trailer needs, with the exception of being able to move a vehicle or a large amount of rock, but I can live with that. IIRC, they were about $1200 with a brake, or $1000 w/o a brake, also 15" rims.

How do you know if a trailer is built well? can anyone talk me out of getting one of these? :confused: :eek:

Take this for what it's worth :flipoff2: If you need a trailer than I would go for this option. However if I were looking for a camper than I would skip it. This is going to be a shaky, rickity tent once it's set up IMHO. Basically this is a cabin tent with wheels. An used popup would serve you better. But as I said, if you need a trailer than this seems to be a nice option.

Just my .02 cents!

Agree with alia - fugly cabin tent with wheels. Why not just get a cheap ass cargo trailer and toss a rooftop tent on it if you want that option?

Hold off Tim,
If you wait long enough you will find a trailer that wil meet all your needs and be able to haul a vehicle. Then just think how useful you would be to all your friends. Otherwise, you will regret it.

Ken

Hey the paper here had a trailer that a guy built for camping & hauling four wheelers. He used a tandom axle car hauler and a pop up. The pop up was welded by the frame side ways on the front on the hauler. He could open the pop up and still use the trailer or he had a patio. May be you could find the parts and build what you need want.

Jumpingjack's are made here in Utah. I spent some time in one at a gun show last spring. Seemed well design for it's purpose, IE hauling all your camp gear and atv's over fireroads. The tent itself seemed very solid. I was the service manager for a major motorhome dealer outside boston for a number of years and all I can say about pop ups are they suck! I can't remember the brand we carried, but it was supposedly the industries top of the line. Problem after problem. Too many mechanical parts to break. Plastic exterior panels crack if you look at the wrong.... The frames on them are weaker that a Jeep and we were always doing repair work on them. The only way I would do a pop up is to build a new heavy duty spring over frame under it so the body didn't twist at all and carry a tube of silicone with you at all times. PS the plastic windows on them are only good for a couple summers worth of camping before the go brown. Sorry for the rant....I got out of the pop up business

Trent Taylor

Hi.
I like the idea of them also, We have decided on getting one in the near future, I work about a mile from where they make them, I have stoped in and thought they were great on many levels, camping, hauling, the like.
Good luck with your decition.

Well, I went up to the dealer who had them last year, and they stopped carrying them, said that you have to buy direct now. And I don't know how or where I got those figures in my first post above, turns out they list at $4999 for the tent/trailer combo... For $1200 I was ready to drive over to Salt Lake and pick one up, just to spite you Romer :) , no seriously would be a fun trip with an overnight stop on the way back, not much further than driving to Moab.. But for $5k, I think we can do a lot better.

I called them and the guy was super cool on the phone, offered me a "show model" for $200 less, sounded like he'd make that offer to anyone. If any of you Utah guys ever run into a sweet deal on a used one out there and don't pick it up for yourself, please let me know. thanks -tim

they are not bad,
The best camper i have seen has the correct name IMHO.

ultimate camper

alayers2.gif

Hi all.
After looking at all the input, I still dont think the Jumping Jack trailer is all that bad of a price, Considering what I would be using it for, I was quoted $3500.00 for the smaller 4 person, $5000.00 was for the larger 6 person. I like the Haul tent as well but its also $2500-4000.00 more, I wont even go into howmuch the KingKampers are, The Ultimate camper is nice too, But its in AU!
I think when the time comes I will certainly search ALL the trailers out.
Have fun

Jumping Jack Trailers just provided me with one of their trailers. I am going to do some extended trips and even some mildly technical terrain with it for evaluation. I will post some pictures and feedback in a few days.

My first impressions are very positive. They spend a lot of time showing me the product and the design behind it.

They are even evaluating releasing an off-road model with larger tires and other enhancements.

Now that I have used the trailer for a while, I have completed the draft review for my website.

Overall my greatest praise for the trailer has been the build quality and finish. Second would be the tent application for fair to moderate weather. The tent really is very comfortable!

The biggest complaint with the unit is the width, as the size greatly reduces its capabilities off-highway. That is not to say I didnt drag it over a few rocks just to test it :)

Trailer Review: http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/adventure_equip/Jumping_jack.html

Tent Review: http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/adventure_equip/Jumping_jack_tent.html

Set-up Review: http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/adventure_equip/Jumping_jack_tent_set-up.html

My VenturCraft is still a better choice for technical terrain, and can be seperated from the tow vehicle and manhandled if required. http://www.expeditionswest.com/vehicles/ewvehicles/VenturCraft/index.html

Let me know what you think of the artice :)
trailer_in_action.jpg

I am really amazed that the conclusion on the solution isn't to simply buy / build an off road capable trailer with a sturdy top, and put a roof top tent on it.

Is this a search for a more "RV like" bush camping solution?

I have a little trailer with a top that can carry a roof rack and support a roof top tent, a boat, a rack of additional gear, amost anything under 500 or so pounds. Am I missing the point somehow?

Mike S

Mike S said:
I am really amazed that the conclusion on the solution isn't to simply buy / build an off road capable trailer with a sturdy top, and put a roof top tent on it.

Is this a search for a more "RV like" bush camping solution?

I have a little trailer with a top that can carry a roof rack and support a roof top tent, a boat, a rack of additional gear, amost anything under 500 or so pounds. Am I missing the point somehow?

Mike S

A roof tent on a trailer is a great solution, and allows for a smaller, simpler solution. It sounds like that solution works well for you (I have seen pictures of your trailer and like the design).

You just cant sleep 4 or 5 people comfortably with that arrangement, which many families are faced with. You also cannot stand up and change in one, or have a table and pot-a-potty inside, which many people want (mostly to appease a significant other).

The Jumping Jack trailer provides a great deal of room and sleeping comfort. It also allows hauling 2 ATV's or a large Zodiac, which is what I intend to do with it. I can haul a 14' Zodiac, the motor and tons of gear on this trailer for trips to Baja. The compromise is off-road performance and weight.

I also have a small trailer like you suggest, and it does other things very well. It is all a compromise, and these decisions are heavily influenced by each persons major requirements.

Cool find! It looks similar to the Jayco Baja.

I think the killer of trailer like that would be the corrugated roads. They would likely break apart after a few hundred miles.

It would probably be a great solution for a base camp and some fireroad / trail work.

trailers

Don't overlook military surplus when thinking about
rugged trailers. Often they are pintle and lunette.
This Swiss number is 3/4 ton and tucks neatly behind a 40.
I actually keep 3 different "camps" in there. Backpack to
spare house with sofa and chairs. The big tent sure wouldn't
fit on top of a trailer.
I think trailer top and roof top tents are really sweet.
I wish I had one too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom