Joined the 62 club! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been on the lookout for an FJ62 for a year or so but the wife (rightfully so) has been pretty firm that’s it’s a one in/one out cruiser policy these days 😂 (76 40 series, 97 40th anniversary edition and 2016 200 series in the garage). The 80 series was my first cruiser, great vehicle but a little rough underneath and after a 10 year run I felt like it was the best candidate for a new home. I was fortunate to find a great local buyer for the 80 about 2 weeks ago, just when a clean 1989 62 came up for sale within driving distance.

This 62 has been an NC/SC truck its whole life, is in excellent condition and has had plenty of well documented maintenance completed. After checking it out in person Friday I drove it about 230 miles home and was immediately impressed with the highway handling, it tracked straight down I95 doing 70 mph no problem.

I’m really excited about this project, the 62 seems to be a great combo of old school style while still having some modern amenities. Should be a great daily driver around town when needed and a fun choice on the weekend. Here is a picture from the drive home:

3FBADC1C-EFEA-4755-8B88-E49797031E4E.jpeg

Big picture this 62 looks great but some finishing touches should take it to the next level. I got straight to work when I got home and immediately ripped all the tint off, replaced a leaking headlight, removed the windshield wiper arms to paint and have new windshield wiper trim on the way, removed side and rear emblems and have new ones on the way (after the a previous owner had it painted the emblems were attached with adhesive strips instead of the holes in the body), removed the snake blinders and have new clips on the way to improve fit and cleaned up the interior a bit. Have parts ordered to do the relay mod to the door locks and passenger windows to improve performance.

I noticed some moisture in the passenger side front carpet after the drive home. I cleaned out the AC evaporator box and drain and will keep an eye out to see if that helps keep things dry. I dropped the 62 off with my mechanic tonight so he can go through and baseline, only items I know that need to be addressed are brakes bled and AC recharged.

In the short term I’m planning to replace the front and rear windshield chrome (lock strip gaskets are present but a previous owner de-chromed) and also add the rain gutter chrome back. I know some don’t love the chrome but I want to go for the classic look for this 62.

Long term plans are Dobinsons springs and IMS shocks, 33x10.50 KO2s and likely a Pioneer double din head unit. I’ll try to keep this thread updated with progress along the way. Looking forward to spending some time in a new section on ‘Mud!

And for good measure a few pics from my work this weekend:

650541E8-6CFE-4257-8277-18127508E921.jpeg

CA61B562-5EB0-430F-82B1-2D07E996F7E4.jpeg

4142212E-6C28-4E77-952C-A72C99C8E77E.jpeg

5CA42EDA-65CE-4A37-A05E-41764101E219.jpeg

27293E1C-A818-4512-AC61-8BD94BECD5C0.jpeg

Last edited:
I noticed some moisture in the passenger side front carpet after the drive home.

Good to check the A/C drain, but this is frequently caused by windshield gasket leaks, because shops cannot be bothered to follow the FSM procedure, which states to apply caulk between the glass and gasket, and the gasket and the WS frame.

I have a minor leak, and just jam an old cotton sock in the corner of the windshield when I wash the truck, and then take the sock out and let it dry. It rarely rains here, or else I'd fix it.

That handle on the dash in front the passenger is not a grab assist handle, it's actually a tube sock drying rack for after you wash your truck and the windshield leaks.... :)

I noticed some moisture in the passenger side front carpet after the drive home.

Good to check the A/C drain, but this is frequently caused by windshield gasket leaks, because shops cannot be bothered to follow the FSM procedure, which states to apply caulk between the glass and gasket, and the gasket and the WS frame.

I have a minor leak, and just jam an old cotton sock in the corner of the windshield when I wash the truck, and then take the sock out and let it dry. It rarely rains here, or else I'd fix it.

That handle on the dash in front the passenger is not a grab assist handle, it's actually a tube sock drying rack for after you wash your truck and the windshield leaks.... :)
Yeah that was #2 on my guess list, the front windshield has definitely been replaced. They kept a lock strip gasket with the new windshield and may have re-installed with the chrome strips, not sure, but the chrome definitely isn’t there now. I’ve read not having the lock strip installed can cause leaks, probably wishful thinking to hope adding the chrome back will solve any potential issues but worth a try. The east coast got a lot of rain right before I bought the 62 so the timing fits, just need to spray it with a water hose and see if it really does leak.

Love the tube sock idea and glad to know about the factory drying rack 😂. Assuming that the windshield is leaking is there anything that can be done to reliable seal it short of pulling the whole windshield and gasket out and reinstalling?

Instead of painting the wiper arms, you might as well do the 4-runner wiper upgrade. It's a vast improvement over stock.

Assuming that the windshield is leaking is there anything that can be done to reliable seal it short of pulling the whole windshield and gasket out and reinstalling?

Since the caulking is done after the install, I think the answer is yes. My glass guy gave me a new tube of Sikaflex windshield sealant, and suggested I do the factory caulking job. I have been too lazy to do this up to this point. I would cut the tip to a very fine point, and run the tip under the rubber gasket and fill the void there with caulk (glass-to-seal and seal-to-body). This is what the FSM shows.

Instead of painting the wiper arms, you might as well do the 4-runner wiper upgrade. It's a vast improvement over stock.
Good to know, didn’t realize that was a thing! The wiper blades are already painted and new wipers purchased so I’ll stick with the 62 arms for now but will definitely keep this upgrade in mind for the future.

Assuming that the windshield is leaking is there anything that can be done to reliable seal it short of pulling the whole windshield and gasket out and reinstalling?

Since the caulking is done after the install, I think the answer is yes. My glass guy gave me a new tube of Sikaflex windshield sealant, and suggested I do the factory caulking job. I have been too lazy to do this up to this point. I would cut the tip to a very fine point, and run the tip under the rubber gasket and fill the void there with caulk (glass-to-seal and seal-to-body). This is what the FSM shows.
Great info, thank you! My mechanic ran the AC for a bit today after recharging and everything is bone dry on the passenger side, so either a clogged AC drain was the fix or it’s something different like the windshield. Will report back once I get a chance to wash it.

Not exactly tech heavy updates tonight but my emblems and rain gutter trim came in so I got the 62 dressed back up a bit. Still waiting on my windshield chrome lock strips and new rocker trim clips.

4E4B97F9-E60A-4328-B7F2-58AE7E95D6E3.jpeg

4D7BF9B7-2A3D-463D-B4BF-5E63C8E289E8.jpeg

93C4AA90-0FE8-4449-AC9F-AB472C251AB7.jpeg

Spent a few hours this afternoon on the 62, it’s coming along nicely! Reinstalled the freshly painted wiper arms, new blades and new wiper trim pieces, got the snake blinders back on with new clips, replaced the air filter with a new OEM one, installed the rear windshield chrome lock strip, and did the relay mod for the door locks.

The chrome lock strip was just as big a PITA as I was expecting. I found soapy water was the best lubricant and a small flathead screwdriver was my main weapon of choice. I bought a lock strip tool off Amazon but didn’t have great success with it. New lock strip for the rear isn’t available and the used stuff I got was a little bent with the plastic backing separating in some areas so that didn’t make things any easier. I’ve got new lock strip for the front and I’m hoping since there aren’t any curves, just 4 straight pieces, it will be a little easier. Gonna wait a few days before I tackle it and let my blood pressure recover from the rear - my advice is if chrome lock strip around the windshields is important to you than buy a cruiser that already has it installed 😂.

My front passenger door is still a little temperamental to unlock even after the relay mod, I lubricated the mechanism in the door and hope that will improve some more.

Next items on the punch list are adding window motor relays, installing the front windshield chrome lock strip, and replacing the radiator, belts and front brake pads.

A5CE88EE-006D-4D87-9DA7-5238118A8DF6.jpeg

EED1FA34-B6E4-4F87-B9B0-798C5F32AABA.jpeg

CF4BEA54-3103-4545-87B0-A1FBE23159BE.jpeg

I kept the relay mod work going this week and got all three passenger windows done. The front passenger window performance wasn’t too bad before but it’s better now, the two rear windows were nearly inoperable and now function perfectly - huge win there! I used some dry window lube I found on Amazon to improve the windows sliding through the tracks and that helped as well.

I got the front windshield chrome lock strip installed, access was a little more of a challenge than the rear windshield but the lock strip being new and my skills being slightly improved now made the job easier overall. Really like the old school look now that all the factory trim installed!

Spent a few hours tonight cleaning up the rear mud flaps with Simple Green and steel wool pads then painted the Land Cruiser lettering (followed details from a thread on Mud), don’t have a great before pic but it was a really nice improvement.

I also picked up a rear heater transfer decal and got that switch looking better, covered with clear coat so should last a long time.

Waiting on my radiator to come in then the 62 is heading to my mechanic for a few days. After the little February heat wave this week in NC I’ve realized my AC isn’t working very well, he thinks it’s the expansion valve so I’m going to replace it and keep my fingers crossed!

F91E5208-6275-4964-8FC6-4DE909E3DBD4.jpeg

9EE041E5-0957-4572-B667-7F78447FA081.jpeg

654EC903-DB24-48F2-9997-1F0747FF0FAA.jpeg

3A22CA3F-7D80-4C95-B8FF-176BD2301B23.jpeg

I’ve been waiting on parts this week so decided to spend some time on the paint, it wasn’t in bad shape but needed a good detail. Washed, cleaned with a clay bar, polished with Chemical Guys V4, added a coat of Jet Seal then topped with Meguiars NXT wax for good measure. Pictures never do these projects any justice but very pleased with the shine and the finish is now super slick.

Planning to enjoy the nice weather this weekend and put a few miles on the 62 then dropping it off Monday with my mechanic to knock out the radiator, hoses, belts, front brake pads and expansion valve.

4FE3ED8C-24EC-4D91-A394-C80A8A7A7738.jpeg

33B2BCD4-6A8F-4D38-B4AE-39B02BCB2CF7.jpeg

4CEACF97-0C09-4BFA-AC0E-B6AB19ADD708.jpeg

I’ve been waiting on parts this week so decided to spend some time on the paint, it wasn’t in bad shape but needed a good detail. Washed, cleaned with a clay bar, polished with Chemical Guys V4, added a coat of Jet Seal then topped with Meguiars NXT wax for good measure. Pictures never do these projects any justice but very pleased with the shine and the finish is now super slick.

Planning to enjoy the nice weather this weekend and put a few miles on the 62 then dropping it off Monday with my mechanic to knock out the radiator, hoses, belts, front brake pads and expansion valve.

View attachment 3263324

View attachment 3263325

View attachment 3263326
Looking great... now add her to your signature!!

Dropped the 62 off with my mechanic at the beginning of the week and he took care of several maintenance items that needed to be addressed:

-Installed new CSF 2708 radiator and all new Toyota radiator hoses with Mr. T coolant
-Replaced front brake pads and turned the rotors
-New Toyota belts
-Replaced the expansion valve with a new one from Toyota

Everything looks good and the cruiser is running great! Braking is noticeably better, very pleased with that. I also added some BG44k to my last tank of gas to clean out injectors, etc and feel like that has made a difference as well (or the placebo effect is in full working order!). This cruiser wasn't being driven a lot before I bought it so I think just getting it out on the road and addressing a few things has made it a bit happier.

It's cooler in NC this week so haven't really been able to try out the AC since the expansion valve was replaced, I've tested performance with a thermometer and no question its cooling the air nicely but I feel like the compressor is cycling very quickly (at least at idle). I'm no AC expert, this may be normal when temps are cooler and fan settings are low but definitely something I'm going to keep an eye on. I've got a funny feeling there will be more AC work to do as the summer temps roll around but for now I'll stay optimistic.

I also replaced one of the cargo lock relays (the upside down one that notoriously gets corroded) and now the power locks are working like a charm.

Tomorrow is exactly one month since I brought the 62 home, gotten a lot done so far and have basically knocked out Phase I of this project. Planning to do suspension and 33's in the reasonably near future!

Wow! Just had time to catch up on your old 40th sale posting and see you have found a great looking 62! Congrats. Now, build that garage and go looking for another 80:)

Wow! Just had time to catch up on your old 40th sale posting and see you have found a great looking 62! Congrats. Now, build that garage and go looking for another 80:)
Thanks, still hard to believe the 80 is really gone but having a blast with this 62 so that eases the pain a bit! I have a feeling I haven’t owned my last 80, hopefully the bucket list shop expansion becomes a reality one day and I can make room for a few more cruisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom