Jerry can suggestions, to be carried inside (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to get serious about hurricane preparedness, the first thing that disappears in the threat of a storm is gas. I have small gas cans I've collected over the years, none of which seal properly, and they're all under 5 gallons. I'd like to get 4 or 5 five-gallon jerry cans. But some are $30 and some are $100 and I don't really know the difference, I've never had one. My requirements are that they can pour into the gas tank without awkward maneuvering or using funnels, and that they seal well so I it doesn't stink up the inside. I'll be transporting them in the cargo area of my hundy. Exposed gas cans (and anything useful) stored outside the vehicle get stolen.

Are they all about the same? Any suggestions?

I carry two Scepter cans with upgraded flange and gasket in my 4x4 labs third row mounts. No smell whatsoever with the upgraded flange and gasket. As for awkward maneuevering, I haven't found a way around it. I use the self priming siphon from the can out of my cargo slider (which you won't have in the 100) into the fill tube until nearly empty then finish off with the military spout. If you go with Scepter, you'll definitely want the wrench, too.

Personally I've never used a Scepter can that didn't seep. I suppose that's why they might offer an "upgraded" flange and gasket. However, a proper NATO jerry can (with the original cammed lid) needs no upgrading. They don't leak, period. Google Wavian NATO can and you'll find them.

I have one of the wavian jerry cans and it has been great. I’ve had it on its side in my truck for months at a time - zero smell or leakage. It cost about $80 new. I didn’t like the spout it came with at all (CARB compliant I think), but I got a jiggle siphon which has been much better and very easy to use .

I've used the Scepter MFC type with success in a vehicle. Make sure the viton seal is good and don't over fill. If it is just going to be sitting in a storage area, I would go with metal NATO style

if You are storing indoors NATO style for sure. Also be sure to rotate your stock every couple months or use a fuel stabilizer.

It would be stored in a covered carport outdoors, but transported inside the vehicle when necessary (evacuation). My plan is to have 20-25 gallons ready to go, with fuel stabilizer, at the beginning of hurricane season (June). If it hasn't been used by December, I'd then use it in my cars regularly until it's gone, and refill them again next hurricane season.

It would be stored in a covered carport outdoors, but transported inside the vehicle when necessary (evacuation). My plan is to have 20-25 gallons ready to go, with fuel stabilizer, at the beginning of hurricane season (June). If it hasn't been used by December, I'd then use it in my cars regularly until it's gone, and refill them again next hurricane season.
If that’s the case, I switched to the septor plastic cans about 10 years ago from the metal NATO style. I keep at least 2 full in my garage all winter and transport them inside my LX when they need refilled.

Exactly, I intend on travelling with them inside the car, with kids and probably pets, and didn't want to get everyone high on gas fumes. Any time I transport a cheap gas can my whole car will smell like gas for a while.

I apologize if that wasn't clear in my initial post.

Exactly, I intend on travelling with them inside the car, with kids and probably pets, and didn't want to get everyone high on gas fumes. Any time I transport a cheap gas can my whole car will smell like gas for a while.

I apologize if that wasn't clear in my initial post.
Transporting gas inside the vehicle is a bad idea. Like I said I do when it’s a short trip (3-4 mile)to and from the station windows open and just me in the truck. If you insist on doing it with kids along I would get the Wavian NATO cans. They are going to put you back $80-$100 each but the only can out there that is mostly zero fume. Like I said I switched to the plastic septor but when I have the kids/dog in the rig or on long trips I put them on the hitch mounted cargo tray.

At one of the shops we do work at, there was an employee stealing gas from the yard tractors and putting it in Jerry cans inside his vehicle. One day at lunch he went outside to have a smoke and promptly turned his vehicle into a smoldering wreck and hospitalized himself. I've also seen security camera footage of a friend simply bringing a jerry can into a utility room that had a furnace in it with similar results.

I would find a way to lock them up securely on the outside of the vehicle, personally. Your nose has an amazing ability to become accustomed to smells to the point you don't notice them anymore.

Last edited:
I don't know where to get them but I have used these military diesel cans my old man got from the army and they don't leak or smell at all.
15575861450707241561534082526844.jpg

I live in hurricane territory and totally understand the value of fuel. The last thing I would want inside my vehicle esp with family inside is 20-25 gals of gasoline, I don't care which military designed the can.

Get a quality rear hitch basket and strap the cans to that and figure out a way to conceal it....box, tarp, label it "non potable water". Don't put that volatile sh*t inside.

What?? You're planning ahead? You're supposed to show up at Home Depot looking for plywood the day before the hurricane hits, and at Walmart looking for flashlight batteries and bottled water. You look for gas with everyone else the morning you leave.

I bought some real Nato cans years and years ago when they were cheap at surplus stores. To this day, they seal tight. No worries about inside the rig or even on their side. I've taken them in the back of the rig on many outback trips before I got large fuel tanks. The only drawback on mine is that they empty slow. I'm thinking the siphon suggestion is a good one. That or a better nozzle than the one I have. But that is the only downside that I've found and I can live with that. Recommended.

Scepter cans all the way, with new gaskets (cans are kind of expensive, new gaskets not so much). I've taken mine thousands of miles around the backcountry over the last decade. No fumes, no problem. I wouldn't hesitate to leave tomorrow with 10G in the cab (or 25, whatever you need to carry).

You'd need a fuel spout or a shaker siphon, and a cap wrench to make sure they're sealed tight.

No flames in the cab though. That's just asking for it.

Good luck this season.

I can't speak about the Sceptor cans, but nearly all plastic fuel storage cans "Leach" the lights of fuel through their walls. That is why the tanks in vehicles with plastic fuel tanks are doubled wall.

That is also why when racing fuel, or even lawn mower gas sold at HomeDepot, it's always in a metal container. Same with Coleman fuel.

My suggestion, is to find small 5 gallon metal cans, or 15-30 gallon drums. I use 30's. Modern gas is s***, and does not store well, even with stabilizer. I have a hand pump and rotate the drums of fuel. I just fill the cars each week as needed, and refill the drums from 5 gallon jugs, so I don't have to move them.

I can't speak about the Sceptor cans, but nearly all plastic fuel storage cans "Leach" the lights of fuel through their walls. That is why the tanks in vehicles with plastic fuel tanks are doubled wall.

I made plastic fuel tanks 27 years ago. Initially they were single layer (like any plastic 5 gallon gas can you are going to buy today but a lot thicker) and even back then as soon as they were molded they coated them with fluorine on the inside to stop the migration of the fuel through the walls. (Gaseous fluorine is insanely toxic BTW. They told us if you heard the alarms go off RUN to the nearest exit.)

But even then by 1994 the standards got even more strict about fuel migrating through the plastic tanks. So I had the project to install molding machines that did 5 layers of plastic to stop the migration. Each machine sucked a megawatt of power.

So yeah you may not smell it inside but a little gas is coming through the walls of a simple plastic fuel can. Especially as they get hot. I use steel for carrying fuel on a trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom