Jealous of those Euro LC's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
community.webshots.com
Well, just got back from Europe (France, Switzerland and Italy) and when they do have a large SUV (not often) it was a diesel 80 or 100....damn them!

Actually, diesel seems to be the fuel of choice with fuel prices over there. At an average of 1.40E per liter and currency conversion that works out to almost $8 per gallon for unleaded!

Luckily, we rented a Ford Focus hatchback turbo diesel 5spd for the 2 weeks we were there. It was more powerful than the gas powered ones here and the only time there was a slight smell of diesel from the exhaust was starting it in the sub-freezing temps of Switzerland mornings. The car had a trip computer and when fuel consumption was converted, we had an average of 47MPG! One more bonus: Unlike here, diesel was less expensive than gasoline.

Sounds like an incredible trip. Very cool.

Why they don't have those here is beyond me....

Sadly we as a nation are not ready to be responsible, nor are we forced to with ridiculous gas prices, yet. Most americans take what we have for granted. Seems americans are wising up and hopefully the big three Ford, Dodge, and Toyota :flipoff2: will take the plunge. I would love to have a Diesel 80 series, just can't affford the importation process.

Sounds like an incredible trip. Very cool.

Sadly we as a nation are not ready to be responsible, nor are we forced to with ridiculous gas prices, yet. Most americans take what we have for granted. Seems americans are wising up and hopefully the big three Ford, Dodge, and Toyota :flipoff2: will take the plunge. I would love to have a Diesel 80 series, just can't affford the importation process.

Looks like Honda and BMW will be taking the plunge. They both plan on offering diesels they currently offer in Europe. Honda will offer a 2.2L turbo diesel Accord that should get 40+ MPG and BMW will offer their 3.0L I6 twin turbo diesel in the 3 and 5 series. BMW also has several other 6 and 4 cyl diesel models in Europe. Hopefully they will wise up and offer engines all the way down to the 1.8 diesel.

Looks like Honda and BMW will be taking the plunge. They both plan on offering diesels they currently offer in Europe. Honda will offer a 2.2L turbo diesel Accord that should get 40+ MPG and BMW will offer their 3.0L I6 twin turbo diesel in the 3 and 5 series. BMW also has several other 6 and 4 cyl diesel models in Europe. Hopefully they will wise up and offer engines all the way down to the 1.8 diesel.

That is cool, I hadn't heard about that.

Ford is set to release a 5 cylinder diesel in the F150 and Toyota is working on a diesel for the new Tundra in two years or so assuming they don't have to scrap it due to finances.

I think that Diesel engines will be the next wave of fuel efficient vehicles untill they can get the Hybrid car pricing down. I have to admit that out here I do see a buttload of Prius'.

That is cool, I hadn't heard about that.

Ford is set to release a 5 cylinder diesel in the F150 and Toyota is working on a diesel for the new Tundra in two years or so assuming they don't have to s**** it due to finances.

I think that Diesel engines will be the next wave of fuel efficient vehicles untill they can get the Hybrid car pricing down. I have to admit that out here I do see a buttload of Prius'.

Also seen a few articles on hybrid diesels. Run some biodiesel in that thing and you are set!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom