JDM FZ Engine in US 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Is it practical to install a JDM FZ engine in a US-market vehicle (1995) and still pass muster with the Smog Police? What mods would this entail? I've never seen a JDM FZ, so have no idea... Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Over the years, I have seen a couple of JDM FZs for sale here in Canada. Have no idea what would be required though for smog as we have no such thing here in Quebec, plus they implanted a ban of importation of RHD vehicles probably at least 10 yrs ago.

Is it practical to install a JDM FZ engine in a US-market vehicle (1995) and still pass muster with the Smog Police? What mods would this entail? I've never seen a JDM FZ, so have no idea... Thanks for any help!

I would keep an eye on things like intake and exhaust manifold difference.

I recently dropped a jdm f23a into my accord in place of my f23a1 that was dying. The intake didn't have all the vacuum ports and the exhaust manifold was way different.
Also the crank and ps pump pulleys we're different sizes.

20221011_101526.jpg

20221011_101535.jpg

From this thread, I’m betting there are wiring differences at the very least. I wonder about ECM’s and such.

If it’s a COP motor it’s not happening without a lot of effort.
Does that mean police, or climate-friendly—or is it an acronym I don’t recognize?

I would strip the motor of the intake manifold and exhaust manifolds and install the ones from your USDM motor onto the JDM motor. Honda motors were a lot harder to hide from the emissions cops because the block/series was in plan sight. Obviously reuse your USDM harness and switch over the sensors or replace the sensors from the USDM to the JDM motor.

COP = Coil On Plug

Coil packs instead of distributor.
Ahhh, thanks. Didn't Beno find one of those, NOS, in the Middle East recently?

I would strip the motor of the intake manifold and exhaust manifolds and install the ones from your USDM motor onto the JDM motor. Honda motors were a lot harder to hide from the emissions cops because the block/series was in plan sight. Obviously reuse your USDM harness and switch over the sensors or replace the sensors from the USDM to the JDM motor.

Yup....

20221012_130159.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom