JDM engine/trans for HJ75 Troopie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.ki7xh.com
I'd sincerely appreciate some engine advice for an Aussie-market HJ75 Troopie. It's a 1985 HJ75 that was used for railroad testing in and around Wyoming. (I took the Hi-Rail gear off long ago.) 90% of the mileage was on rails in 5th gear. (God only knows the idle time, though...) I've been sitting on this vehicle for about 16 years now, always hoping for the time to do a body-off restoration. The time has finally almost come.

The factory 2H is a little weak on oil pressure, and really gutless in the mountains. I'd originally considered rebuilding it and fitting an aftermarket turbo kit, but I had a really bad experience with a 2F rebuild I had done in Wyoming a few years ago.

I'm considering a JDM engine/transmission package, thinking the 12H-T is the way to go. From what I "think" I read years ago, it's a straightforward transplant. I built a 302 Ford powered FJ40 twenty years ago, and hope the 2H to 12H-T swap won't need as much creativity. I'd like to think I could have all my original gauges working, etc. I know the 12H-T is a strong, reliable engine, with a big following in the markets that get it.

Can anyone comment on the practicality of the 12H-T swap, or recommend something better?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi All:

You might try cross-posting in the "Diesel" section.

I'm sure the 12H-T would be a great engine swap for your rig but can't help you with specifics.

Good luck!

Alan

the 12HT would make a great easy swap

(or a 1HZ but that will be a lot more time and money)

Thanks for the advice. I did post over in the diesel forum. I've just come to ih8mud and didn't notice it at first.

I spent a month Down Under in 1996 on a friend's cattle station in NSW. His father was driving an HJ6x with factory 12H-T. It was an awesome vehicle, compared to my 2H-powered Troopie. Absolutely night and day difference. I recall the fuel economy was pretty darned decent too.

If that's the easiest swap to do, I think the performance will be more than acceptable. I do run a cattle ranch in Wyoming, and have watched many things fall apart over the last 20 years. It's tough service out here! The only stuff that holds up for decades are TLCs and Unimogs (have four of those, FWIW).

The 12H-T is basically just a factory turbo'ed 2H, so it should almost bolt straight in and plug straight in with minor mods.

1HZ is always a better option, but it really depends how deep your pockets are. Here in Aus a 1HZ + gearbox will set you back the better part of 10-12k, and we have billions of them. No idea what the prices are like in north america.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom