JDM 3fe Engine Squeak - Weird Pulley Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I was hoping someone could help me troubleshoot a possible issue with my belt. I have a squeaky engine and a burning smell that gets more noticeable if I get up there in the Revs. I was worried it was the Tranny, so I had it checked out and the guy at the shop said he didn't smell anything weird. (There IS a slight mis-shift from 2nd to 3rd, but I'm not rebuilding just yet since I'm trying to start a swap). Anyway, I popped the hood to check out the squeak and maybe find the source of the burning smell and I noticed this idler pulley. I reached down and spun it freely with no resistance from the belt, but the belt is touching it (just barely). I'm wondering if this is where the source of my burning rubber smell could be coming from as well as the squeak. My only issue is that I don't really see how swapping out the pulley is going to help. I found the below belt diagram on another post, but it doesn't look like my setup.
My engine has the belt run from the Crank, over the small pulley in question to the Compressor, then down to a tension pulley before going back to the crank. The other two belts are routed the same way the diagram shows. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you need more info please let me know.

Idler Pulley 2.jpg

Belt Routing.JPG

Okay, so I figured out through a deep dive in the search that it's the AC Idler pulley. This may not be the issue I'm looking for, but the pulley does spin slowly when the A/C is off which tells me there is some rub... I'll keep digging and update this post for the future if anyone needs it.

The pulley labeled "pulley in question" in your picture is there to prevent belt slap when the compressor cycles on and off. If it spins freely and has no noise, then it is not the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom