January 20, 2018 Trail Ride-Schubarth Trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SAS

Seeking higher vistas
Threads
Usually this is our annual "snow run" but it's not looking too snowy right now. That may change with an approaching storm, but who's to say?

Let's run Schubarth, regardless of sun, snow, or rain. Plan on meeting at the Western on the south side of Woodland Park (Crystola), between 8am and 8:30am. Departure time is 8:30am.

Schubarth Trail | Trails Offroad

I was at the Pikes Ranger station this morning and yes the frozen Ford is still there. it's on the Schubarth Trail like SAS said on the trapped car thread . The guy behind the desk didn't know anything about the unnamed "obstruction" But a Ranger came in and chuckling said oh yeah that's a problem, desk guy said maybe you can find a way around it. Maybe SAS knows if this is a possibility? I gather this obstruction prevents doing the loop? At the station they said it wasn't officially listed as a closure. I've never been there so this is just an fyi.

Ranger said over at Divide area there is a pickup recently frozen in a creek also on Forest land!

There is plenty of room to drive around the Ford Escape. I’ve been by it a couple times. :)

When I found the Escape, I broke off a tree that was frozen into the creek so that people could get around it. Before that, there was no way around it.

The other truck frozen in to a creek is supposed to get removed in the very near future. This week or next.

Reactions: SAS
Usually this is our annual "snow run" but it's not looking too snowy right now. That may change with an approaching storm, but who's to say?

Let's run Schubarth, regardless of sun, snow, or rain. Plan on meeting at the Western on the south side of Woodland Park (Crystola), between 8am and 8:30am. Departure time is 8:30am.

Schubarth Trail | Trails Offroad
What's the Western? is that a bar or hotel? Is it by the Crystola roadhouse ? Meeting place right on 24?

Western Gas statin in Crystola, just outside Woodland Park on right as heading up there.

خرائط Google‏

There were links to maps etc on the club webpage but that's all gone now :meh:

OK Thanks!

Anybody going?? I will be there, but will not be at the Western. I’m towing my daughter Claire’s Jeep to the trail, so I will meet you all at the trailhead.
I will have another Jeep coming with us. We’re taking over!!! :cool:

I'll be at the Western before 830am. I have the air tank, too!

What a blast! My first with the CLC. What a fun trail Schubarth was! What a bunch of great people! What perfect weather we had!
I believe there were 12 vehicles involved. My old 40 survived the long trail, It's first real 4wd outing in about 12 years (No fun trails in Florida.)
My only glitch was the 33 year old tailpipe hangers that gave it up and pipe was rubbing on the L rear tire. Fellow CLC quick fixed with a piece of electrical wire. Later I reinforced with piano wire that came from the sounding board that was all that was left of a piano that was of all things laying in the air up area of trail. Time for new exhaust anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: SAS
Good turn out and good times as always. I need to get back into these runs more often...

Tracey, surprised you left out the Escape, what an ironic name :lol:

Here are a couple of pics with scale. Water was inside up to the bottom of the seats!

4D1D02CB-8EC3-4BFA-8D42-CCADFEBA935E.jpeg
E16EE80A-4E6C-4672-BF0F-C16AE556EDDD.jpeg

“Think he feels the Bern now “ was the gag of the afternoon!

I recognize that white FJ40. Glad it went to a good home.

Took the family on a run up Schubarth today and now the Ford Escape is even deeper and someone broke the windows out and drug some stuff out of it. Also the ice is still solid but it is much larger and harder to get across.

20180303_151053.jpg

That's just stupid.

Wow. I’m actually surprised there isn’t a tire mark over it yet. I guess it doesn’t matter- that thing could have stayed pristine until the ice melted, and it still wouldn’t have ever see the road again. That engine and transmission are probably full of ice and destroyed.

I talked with some people Sunday (the 11th) about the car. One of them asked "Was it caught in a flash flood?" Ummm....yeah, and then a flash freeze. Duh!

I too am waiting for the tire marks over the top of it.

If anyone has photos of the vehicle, Rick Ellsworth is keeping track of the vehicle. Mainly because he thinks it's a good story. Contact me and I'll send you his email. He's looking for photos between the club run and now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom