Shubarth Trail Ride 1/20/2024 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please join us on the traditional first trail ride of of the year, Saturday January 20th 2024. Shubarth trail FR307 starts at Rampart Range Road and is North of Rampart Reservoir.

Meet at the Phillips 66 gas station in Crystola at 8:00 and leave at 8:30. The address of the Phillips 66 is 20421 US-24, Woodland Park, CO 80863.

The trail can be done with stock rigs with AT tires. Some years with a lot of snowfall the only way to get out is with tire chains. Most of the time good tires will get you through.

You might be referring to the Alta station in Woodland Park. The Phillips 66 is in divide.

You might be referring to the Alta station in Woodland Park. The Phillips 66 is in divide.
The Alta is a Phillips.

alta.jpg

Oh, by the way... don't plan on filling up here. Their pumps are as slow as molasses. It took 10m to pump 8G last weekend. I had to leave and go up the street for the rest.

Please join us on the traditional first trail ride of of the year, Saturday January 20th 2024. Shubarth trail FR307 starts at Rampart Range Road and is North of Rampart Reservoir.

Meet at the Phillips 66 gas station in Crystola at 8:00 and leave at 8:30. The address of the Phillips 66 is 20421 US-24, Woodland Park, CO 80863.

The trail can be done with stock rigs with AT tires. Some years with a lot of snowfall the only way to get out is with tire chains. Most of the time good tires will get you through.

Would like to attend. Could I borrow that chain adjustment tool sometime prior, David?

If you are referring to how I remove cross links on my tire chains, I use a cold chisel, BFG and an anvil and beat on them until successful.

This was another glorious sunny day in the woods. There were seven rigs along: a 40, two 80s, a 100, a 200, and two of our Jeep friends. We drove through areas of logging along roads 307, 311, 313, and 307A and their side roads. The main roads had tracks and were icy and slippery from last week’s freeze/thaw cycles. It required much driving attention to stay on the road. We got into some deep snow and drifts at the end of the run on 307A which took awhile to get everyone out. A couple of winches were given good workouts. Lots of fun and camaraderie.

We had a great day. It started out a little chilly and windy. Once we got into the trees the wind died down and the snow started to pile up . We had a good turnout, Vic, Dave, Paul,Nathan, Bill, David and Pam in 5 LandCruisers, Dave and Bill in 2 Jeeps. We drove FR307 and the surrounding spurs. Some of the down hill portions got pretty icy and ended up being a hundred foot toboggan slide that you were going on no matter what you did. On one of those hills, Dave in the Jeep crunched the back of Paul's 80. Just a reminder to be extra safe in slippery conditions. As we got farther along the downhills became uphills and the struggle began. Bill used his winch to get up 2 hills. Most of the people decided to chain up at least one axle. That put an end to the toboggan rides. A lot of the roads on top were graded due to the ongoing logging operations. On the last spur that we drove David got stopped in the deep snow. There nothing like a fully locked LandCruiser throwing rooster tails of snow in the air. David broke out the winch after thinking about putting tire chains on. That ended up being about 120 feet of winching to get back to good traction. We drove back and when the road was wide and flat we aired up and headed home. We got back on pavement about 5:30 and went our separate ways.
DSCN2487.JPG
DSCN2492.JPG

I did not see that coming... I opened my my offroad toolbox today, to find all the cold tools coated in condensation, and a good few handfuls of them starting to rust. They cleaned up with some 3-in-1 and 0000 steel wool, but that's still pretty annoying. I guess I need to open the box after each trip.

Turns out that insurance is totaling my 200. It drove a little weird when I went home, but thought it was maybe the tires. They said there was frame damage. I could see the rear most cross member was bent inwards. Guess I'll be getting another one, with steel bumpers.

Very sorry to hear this. That was a most unfortunate incident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom