Builds Jackie: 1996 FZJ80 Survivor. A rolling resurrection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So the diffs came back from ECGS after a 4 day turnaround (they quoted 2 weeks). It has been Africa hot here in south Mississippi, like the rest of the country. Here it is typical to see "feels like" 106 F days. So I've been working this early in the morning or late in the afternoon. This past Sunday I woke up at 5 AM and was out there at 5:30. By about noon-ish, I had everything back together mechanically, and Son#2 came over to advise on the wiring routing. He put Eatons in his Sequoia in January. I took it for a test drive and there were no crunching sounds, so that is a plus.

In case you want to know what these look like, here you go... I did clean off the gears before I installed it.

eaton.jpg

While installing the tie rod ends, a strange thing occurred. The FSM torque spec is 67 ft-lb. 3 of the 4 ends torqued up no problem. I was using a click type torque wrench. The 4th, the one that attaches to the Pitman arm, never achieved the torque and then started to get way easier to tighten. When I pulled the socket off, I found the hole for the cotter key to be way above the castle nut, so the stud has over extended inside the joint. From the picture, I also see that I need to adjust the angle better when I replace it.

555 over.jpg

After that gets replaced, I'll complete the gear break in process. I'll start the wiring now...

Next up is the bumper and sliders. I just ordered the ARB Commercial bumper, but fear its coming on a slow boat from Down Under....

A bit of an update:

Lockers are in. New tie rod ends are installed, the birfs, rear bearings, and axle seals are all done. Gears have gone through the 500 break in and the diff oil has been changed. I still need to wire them up, but it has been hot as Hades here (and everywhere else, I know). I'm learning that I need to make a bracket to hold the relays and breakers under the hood, so I'll be fabbing something up.

I've ordered the ARB Commercial bar as I am intent on running an 8274 on this truck. Those things are like crack, once you use one, you aren't going back to a planetary winch. Then the sliders. Maybe by the time the sliders get done it won't be 1000 degrees outside.

And this happened on the way to work today:

380k.jpg

I installed the CDL button today, and started fabbing the brackets that will hold the locker electrical components. As I understand it, even when twin locked, I will need the CDL button if I want to run in high range with any locker on.

Here's how I moved my buttons around to make sure that all the harnesses had slack. I had to remove the fake wood trim veneer to get the switches out. I'm guessing that goes on after the switches are installed. Since the power antenna is broken anyway, I removed that switch.

CDL.jpg

Today is locker wiring day. I fabricated a bracket for under the hood to hold the terminal block for battery power and another for under the dash. I know that a lot of folks are putting the relays and breakers under the hood, but most of my wheeling is mudding and everything gets coated in dirt. So I am wanted to get all those eltrical components in the cab.

The under dash bracket:

IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0081.jpg

The under hood bracket

IMG_0082.jpg

It is going to go right here: and this firewall plug is perfectly located near where the under dash bracket is going.

IMG_0083.jpg

I should be able to finish up tomorrow, I'll post the final install pictures.

Here is the final install of the electrical equipment in the truck. They have been in there about 2 months. No problems. I'm pretty happy with it.
IMG_0236.JPEG
IMG_0237.JPEG

I went to the Southern Cruiser Crawl in Hot Springs, AR. Few pic from the trails. With no lift and 27 year old suspension, I'm pretty happy with how it went. No damage and my wheeling buddy had fun.

IMG_0154.JPEG
IMG_0157.JPEG
IMG_0158.JPEG

This is the result of 7 hours of my time today. If I could do it all over, I would send the wheel out to someone to recover it. Not hard. Just time consuming.

IMG_0241.jpeg

I was learning about piston soaks in chemicals to free up oil control rings or piston rings, so I decided to give it a try. I used Berryman's B12 Chem Tool injector cleaner since there were some good results with that by others. Didn't seem to help my #5. Here are the numbers. Not sure why the font is so large. When #5 didn't change, I didn't bother to test the other cylinders.

So I am guessing that after about 200,000 miles, whatever brand of piston rings that Jasper used are starting to wear out. There are about 10,000 miles between when I bought it and now.

1703535297292.png

Finally getting around to installing the lift. Dobinson's 2.5 lift with IMS shocks. Doing this by yourself is a job. "While I'm in there" I'm doing;

• extended brake lines (Metal Tech)
  • replacing all the non-extended lines with new lines from Toyota
  • new OEM bushings in all the links (except one, couldn't get OEM, so tried Ironman, no bueno)
  • new rear panhard bushings
  • eimkieth panhard correction kit (the weld on one)
  • new sway bar bushings (front and rear)
  • front and rear sway bar drop brackets
  • rebuilding all 4 brake calipers (and a brake fluid flush for no extra effort!)
  • new rear brake pads (fronts were good)
  • extending the front and rear diff breathers
  • LSPV extended bracket.
  • caster correction bushings in the radius arms
While I've been under the car I've found new projects: LSPV is leaking and the speedo cable at the t-case is leaking.

new brake lines:
IMG_0327.jpg

rebuilding the calipers: went with the Raybestos kit and man, those new square seals were tight!
IMG_0323.jpg

replacing the bushings: This easily added half a day to the effort.

IMG_0314.jpg

For the next episode:
IMG_0316.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom