Builds Jackie: 1996 FZJ80 Survivor. A rolling resurrection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Its a 14mm to take the old sensor off and I think its 5/8s to get the new one on. Don't forget a little red Loctite on the threads of the new one. You'll need to take the heat shield off the headers to get to it. I changed mine with the thermostat housing off so I had good access, but I think you will be able to get to it.

Its a 14mm to take the old sensor off and I think its 5/8s to get the new one on. Don't forget a little red Loctite on the threads of the new one. You'll need to take the heat shield off the headers to get to it. I changed mine with the thermostat housing off so I had good access, but I think you will be able to get to it.
did you tighten it all the way through or were there still some threads exposed? I just put mine in and the gauge didnt budge.

I'll post it on my build thread
20230626_173153.jpg

so I checked the EWD and I saw two wires going to the oil pressure sender. is that brown and white?

it turns out that the white wire shields around the brown one. I just bought a new harness from the dealer. Pricey!

I'll update how it turns out

Screenshot_20230626_183031_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 3358703
so I checked the EWD and I saw two wires going to the oil pressure sender. is that brown and white?

it turns out that the white wire shields around the brown one. I just bought a new harness from the dealer. Pricey!

I'll update how it turns out

View attachment 3358755

Well, I imagine that not connecting that second wire could be why it doesn't work.

Well, I imagine that not connecting that second wire could be why it doesn't work.
Yup! The new wire I ordered arrived today and it has the second connector that connects to the button at the center. Once I wired them up, I started the truck and I can now see the oil pressure rising! Turns out it was the missing connector that didn't complete the circuit. I guess the gauge cluster was fine after all, hahaha!

Yup! The new wire I ordered arrived today and it has the second connector that connects to the button at the center. Once I wired them up, I started the truck and I can now see the oil pressure rising! Turns out it was the missing connector that didn't complete the circuit. I guess the gauge cluster was fine after all, hahaha!
Glad it worked out. I oddly get a good feeling when I look at the working oil pressure gauge.

Glad it worked out. I oddly get a good feeling when I look at the working oil pressure gauge.
I need to get a baseline of what the normal level is going to be once the engine has warmed up. I put in a new oil earlier this month: Rotella 15w40 T4?

Both diffs are out this afternoon, thanks to @CarterB341 who came over to help. Will get crated up and sent off to ECGS for Eatons.

IMG_9936.jpeg

I've never gotten this far and not had the soupy gravy just come pouring out. I must have gotten there just in time.

IMG_9935.jpg

I have a list of "while you're in there's" while the diffs are out:

• Full Monty knuckle rebuild
  • new tie rod ends
  • new rear wheel bearings
  • new rear axle seals
  • new steering damper
  • adjust parking brake
I was going to do the rear brakes (and ordered the parts) but they are good enough to wait for when the lift is installed.
555.jpg

This is how I did my tie rods ends. I didn't want to paint them on the truck.

tie rods.jpg

I mustered the courage to notch the 54mm so I could do the rear bearing preload.

tool.jpg

Diffs are back from ECGS, they are back early actually. Only took them 4 days to install and ship them back to me. I spend the weekend in the "feels like 108 degrees" starting to get everything back together. Then I realized I didn't order a rear diff gasket. oof..

Been busy and haven’t worked on her for a while. Actually I have been daily driving her as my wife sold her QX56 and had to drive my Tundra until she just recently bought her new car.

I was able to break free for 10 minutes and replace the rear hatch struts. I went with the Amazon $23 jobs. You can really feel the difference. Hatch just pops itself up now.

Gotta get after the fuel tank leak next. My old repair didn’t hold up.

View attachment 3317003
Which Amazon struts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom