J Spring s with 33's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I s anybody running the J springs with 33's? Just wanted to know if it looked good or do you need a 35 to fill up the fender well?

I have J' sup front and standard 863s in back. With a winch/bar combo up front the front sits about 1/4" lower than the rear. I currently run 285/75/16 MT/Rs and they look a bit small, but they work.

Rogue.

Would you mind taking a measurement for me?

I would like to know the distance between the bottom of the snubber inside the front spring to the pad on the axle housing where the snubber would contact. I have 850's and a one inch spacer. Mine measues 3.75 inches.

Thanks, Dan.

rogue,

do you ahve any pics of your rig? I am trying to find out which springs to order. I hate that the readers ride section is down the month that I get to buy my lift. do you think the 850J and 863 with no winch bar will seat striaght? I hate how some of the rigs have to back 2" higher than the front.

Rogue's is the sissy one in the readers rigs section. ( :flipoff2: Rogue :flipoff2: :D :D :D).

If ya want to stick w/ 33's, then stick with traditional OME. Otherwise, you're gonna go through the headaches for nothing. :-\

LinkPhoto

This is my truck on 33 inch MTRs with 850 J springs up front and 863s in the rear (Same as Rogue). I don't think that you need 35s to fill out the fenders with the J springs up front, but then again I'm kind of partial to my truck and I've got a bunch of stuff on my truck that weighs it down a bit. I hate to admit it, but Junk brings up a good point-- if you're just going to go with 33s, the normal 2.5 inch lift saves a lot of headaches.

:beer:

Curran.

Would you mind taking the measurement I mentioned to Rogue? I think it would be interesting to compare lift and load.

D-

850's and 863's with rear step, bullbar, winch and dual batts with 285's or 33's would look fine, and is the combo of most cruisers in Aus, unless they have the 864 in the rear.

The J isnt available here, or wasnt but most people run 2 spring spacers [ARB 10mm ones] anyway, which is close to J spec of the extra 1" anyway.

I ran 851's and 860's with a 30mm bodylift, and 36 swampers for bush and 35 MT's for road, my rear step was custom, and light, and my interior was stripped bare to though. The car sat 1" higher in the rear with this combo, and when loaded for a trip sat down 1.5" in the rear, but only for the first day or 2 till some JB can, water, food and fuel started to be used.

I did have 8 sets of springs I used for different tasks at one stage, but the 851'860 combo was my touring/bushwork combo I liked best.

Dan,
As parked on my cold, dark almost level parking spot, under the flickering yellow of my dieing Mag light:
4.50 in DS
4.25 in PS
:beer:

Thanks CJ,

As I mentioned earlier I have 850's and a 1 inch spacer. My DS is 3.75 inches with a winch and blower. Ya got me by 3/4 :flipoff2:.

That reminds me, I need to post my caster test results......Off to find the thread.

??? Junk can you guys please discuss some of the "headaches" that you refer to with the j springs. I'm interested in the learning as much as possible about the J spring set up. Are there other mods that are necessary with these springs to maintain correct geometry? TIA.

Chuck

Caster is the biggy.

OME bushings don't get you close to enough. You need to fab other brackets or buy new leading arm$.

Secondly, front driveline vibrations are likely, requiring a new front driveline.
Those are a couple of the major hurdles.
D-

Christo should have a good easy fix for caster where bushes arent enough or they are cracking the housings, and the arms are to big a jump to go to.

Now he is back from SEMA he might be able to get them sorted.

Dan,

4.5 both DS and PS.

Chuck,
there's a huge jump in complications in going from 2.5 to more lift. A good portion is related to castor, but also pinion angle, panhards and more.

If you run 35's, then J springs are pretty much mandatory, but 35+ can put a big strain on both your wallet and your truck. 33's are much easier and cheaper to deal with. Plus, to be candid, there is very little you can do with 35's that you can't do with 33's. If I had it to do all over again, I'd stick with 33's. Now, I'm so far into it, that the only to do is continue to full insanity. :flipoff2:

Then again, what the falk do I know?

Thanks for the info...I guess since i'm not planning on running the 'Con anytime soon I'll stick with the 2.5" lift and 33's until my skills dictate otherwise. That would probably leave cash for other "essentials" too. No need to go over board and look like a total poser right :doh: Some of you guys are too intense for me at this point(i say that with a hint a jealously). I need to keep telling my self, baby steps...you gotta crawl before you can walk right? Maybe I should find an 80 first before i start planning mods... :D

Chuck

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=7349;start=msg61371#msg61371 date=1068505841]
Rogue's is the sissy one in the readers rigs section.
[/quote]

What readers rides section? :flipoff2:

[quote author=Rogue link=board=2;threadid=7349;start=msg61565#msg61565 date=1068537445]
What readers rides section? :flipoff2: [/quote]
LOL, you missed that the first time through eh? :flipoff2: How's the road to beaterville coming anyway?

Chuck,
To be candid dude, if you get your truck on 33's with the OME 50mm lift, a good front bumper and a winch.... then you'll be in great shape and there would not be many trails you could not do. Yes, bigger tires and more lift = tougher trails, but you can have as much, or more fun on intermediate through advanced trails too. Plus, more of your friends and club members are more likely to run the moderate to intermediate trails rather than full hardcore. Take it one step at time, starting with purchase of a truck :flipoff2: :D, then going a lil here and a lil there. You'll be fine.

How's the road to beaterville coming anyway?

It's tough now that I am a full-time student, but it is still coming along slowly and surely.

Chuck,
To be candid dude, if you get your truck on 33's with the OME 50mm lift, a good front bumper and a winch.... then you'll be in great shape and there would not be many trails you could not do. Yes, bigger tires and more lift = tougher trails, but you can have as much, or more fun on intermediate through advanced trails too. Plus, more of your friends and club members are more likely to run the moderate to intermediate trails rather than full hardcore. Take it one step at time, starting with purchase of a truck, then going a lil here and a lil there. You'll be fine.

Agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom