It's an H3 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Man....just looked at the concept sketches for an H3 on hummer.com. WAY too similar to the FJ cruiser. So...who copied who? Pretty obvious they are after the same market.

Concept? That thing is about to hit the showrooms.

They look pretty different to me.

I've seen a H3 in person.

The H3 looks nothing like the FJ Cruiser.

Dimensions

Just curious so I compared the dimensions to a 100:

H3 / 100

Height - 73.7 / 73.2
Width - 74.7 / 76.4
Length - 186.7 / 192.5
Wheelbase - 111.9 / 112.2

Forget the actual H3, forget the fact that both of them are pretty much a reality...go to hummer.com and look at the gallery for the H3. Click on concept sketches. Look at the side concept sketch that's yellow and tell me there aren't similarities. The prodution H3 doesn't look as similar to the FJ, but that yellow concept sketch sure does. The way the nose rounds out, the upright windshield, the overall dimensions, the mirrors. Dudes, are you blind???? Maybe it's just that I'm an architect and I can look past the brand loyalty, but that's way too close to be a coincidence. Admit it or not, the Japanese have made their success on copying other products and making them better. Tell me there aren't similarites between an Avalanche and Honda's new pickup??? I would never buy a hummer, I will consider an FJ...but there's no doubt in my mind that they took inspiration from the Hummer and tried to give it FJ40 styling cues.

The H3 looks nothing like the FJC to me, that one particular sketch has a similar look in that the fenders appear to be black plastic and has a rear mounted spare (nothing "special" there), but the other sketches don't strike me as similar. The FJ Cruiser prototype has been a full size working model for over 2 and a half years, and the sketches and design almost certainly started long before that. Seeing as how GM products don't seem well designed, it isn't a stretch tht they started development with in the last three years or so.
Maybe you are right and GM did try to copy the FJ Cruiser with their first sketches. The first sketches and spyshots (of a Colorado with hacked body) I found from a quick search, were from about 6-7 months after the FJ Cruiser was already on the show circuit.

Last edited:
rutbeer said:
Forget the actual H3, forget the fact that both of them are pretty much a reality...go to hummer.com and look at the gallery for the H3. Click on concept sketches. Look at the side concept sketch that's yellow and tell me there aren't similarities...

Might this simply be due to the fact that many of the designers are hired from the same schools...with the same instructors...and assuming they're all of a similar age...wouldn't they have similar tastes and styles?

That's certainly a possibility. I know I have a style, and it's pretty much the same as the guy I learned from.

NorCalDoug said:
Might this simply be due to the fact that many of the designers are hired from the same schools...with the same instructors...and assuming they're all of a similar age...wouldn't they have similar tastes and styles?

Doug hit it. Well over 50% of the world's car designers come from one school. It's a small design community and most have styling studios here in socal.

There are design trends, so pick any era and the vehicles all have similarities.
In generic terms, the Dodge Nitro looks alot like a H3 or FJ. Maybe it's just the upright windshield that is telling you it's a H3 knockoff b/c in every other regard, it has no resemblence.
To say Toyota had a look at GM's concept sketches is a bit ridiculous. That stuff is kept secret. Besides, every design goes thru hundreds of sketches. I'm sure there is a sketch that looks like a Jeep CJ or a brick box too.

I will say GM and Ford make some kick ass concepts, certainly influential. The H2 is an iconic design even tho the truck itself is a bung-hair. The Xterra has certainly been influential in design cues that are now commercially acceptable... it's a competitive market, lots of influences coming fast from many directions.

I actually saw an H3 the other day. Its definitely aimed at the same market.
I would get an H3 before an H2.

like this

Arghh... posting pictures requires what? That the image be hosted somewhere else other than your local machine? Can I email it to someone?

compare this

Okay, try this one. Look at the rear fender at the lower edge just before the tire. It swoops forward on both.
Look at the curve of the nose from the windshield down.
Look at the windshield.
Look at the rear corner window. Same shape just strechted ever so slightly.
Actually, the fender lip lines are very similar. It's just the FJ has flares, whereas the concept does not.
Rear half door vs might as well be a half door on the hummer.

Change the wheels and tires on the H3, put real mirrors on it and a roof rack...VERY similar.

No, I'm not suggesting that someone stole sneak photos of anything, but the similarities are enough that you wonder if someone is designing for both sides.
It's just conversation guys....

Last edited:
I like the h3 truck -it just isn't made by toyota.

The concepts can look a like but in the end it's what comes off the production line that counts. Everyone know that Toyota leads the pack. So yeah they copied Toyota

I think it is safe to say that Toyota would never have dreamed of bringing out the FJ Cruiser if it wasn't for the success of the HUMMER H2 in the market place.

Fochdog said:
I think it is safe to say that Toyota would never have dreamed of bringing out the FJ Cruiser if it wasn't for the success of the HUMMER H2 in the market place.
I think the success of the Xterra, Liberty, and Element have much more to do with it, as they are in the same size/price class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom