It finally begins... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let me start by telling my story. I purchased this 76 FJ40 in the summer of 1992 while in college, sold it in 1998 when we had our first child. For Christmas 2009 my Dad bought the FJ back minus the engine. It had never been titled or driven, just parked waiting to be restored by the new owner. Nothing was done to it but selling the engine when we purchased it back. Since December of 2009 I have been on this site watched and listened ready to go. In Jan of 2010 I purchased a 77 2F engine and started making it ready. Just last month we got going on the process of installing it. We have been slowly messing with the engine but now were on the body. Hopefully were going to sandblast the frame before the install. This will be a second vehicle for road use only. I hope to go back as stock as I can. I will ask for help and advice as we go and I'm sure I'll ask dumb questions but bare with me.
DSCN3716.jpg

Looks like fun.

Got plenty of good people here to help you out.

And we need more pics. Just sayin.

Don't worry about "dumb" questions I ask plenty of those. Welcome! Yes we need more pics!

Does the 76 come with white wheels as shown or steelies with caps? I do not have a rear heater. Is that normal or should I have had one?

Does the 76 come with white wheels as shown or steelies with caps? I do not have a rear heater. Is that normal or should I have had one?

Steelies - rear heater was an option.

:beer: Ramon

I don't think I had a rear heater so I guess I won't put one in. I am looking a windshield washer reservoir. Broke mine yesterday trying to get it off. Saw your website, I use to live in eastover. I may be calling on you. I am begining a list of things needed. Got to get the engine in first I guess. I want to jump ahead. Finding not enough time in the day, my job is getting in the way of this addiction.

I don't think I had a rear heater so I guess I won't put one in. I am looking a windshield washer reservoir. Broke mine yesterday trying to get it off. Saw your website, I use to live in eastover. I may be calling on you. I am begining a list of things needed. Got to get the engine in first I guess. I want to jump ahead. Finding not enough time in the day, my job is getting in the way of this addiction.

I know you said you are beginning to get a list together of the parts you need. This weekend would be a perfect time to go to the Swapmeet, or atleast let us know what you are looking for and we might be able to get it for you at a good price.

Frame Blasted

Frame has been sand blasted back to cab at least. Enough to paint before engine install. Not sure to use POR15 or something else. Have heard different opinions. Also, need some floor pan attention.
DSCN3790.jpg
DSCN3793.jpg
DSCN3797.jpg

OME Purchase

From what I have read from everyone a OME is the way to go for raod use and leveling. Now, where is the best place to purchase? I have looked and looked and Iron Pigs seems close and reasonable. Any suggestions as to where to purchase is grateful. Also, I would assume it would be easier to install now before engine placement?

Frame Update

Well it's been a week or so but I have been plugging along. The front part of the frame was coated with POR15 last Friday. Then my father-in-law and I moved the 2F from his house to the Barn. The engine is ready and now the frame is ready. Been painting small parts here and there at night. The wife can see this obsession growing. I think work can too. Found that my oil pan gasket leaks when we pressured up the oil. Tonight I finished painting the rest of the frame. We removed the thermostat housing and of course rung off both bolts. Also replaced a #2 freeze plug on head. Learning the hard way about ordering parts from SOR . Shipping is crazy, made a few mistakes in ordering wrong parts, so one day I'll learn. Hopefully we'll drop the motor on Sunday. Who knows how long before we can fire it. Won't be long before I'll be asking plenty of questions as to where everything hooks back up..
DSC_0749.jpg
DSC_0751.jpg

Corgan said:
Let me start by telling my story. I purchased this 76 FJ40 in the summer of 1992 while in college, sold it in 1998 when we had our first child. For Christmas 2009 my Dad bought the FJ back minus the engine. It had never been titled or driven, just parked waiting to be restored by the new owner. Nothing was done to it but selling the engine when we purchased it back. Since December of 2009 I have been on this site watched and listened ready to go. In Jan of 2010 I purchased a 77 2F engine and started making it ready. Just last month we got going on the process of installing it. We have been slowly messing with the engine but now were on the body. Hopefully were going to sandblast the frame before the install. This will be a second vehicle for road use only. I hope to go back as stock as I can. I will ask for help and advice as we go and I'm sure I'll ask dumb questions but bare with me.

Get some Jack stands. I watched a guy get pinned under a car working in a junk yard. I will not get under one with out them. Good luck on the build

It's In!!

It's been a couple of weeks but on Sunday December 4th the engine went in. Took a couple of attempts but on the third and final try viola. Engine, Tranny and T-Case all attached and in bolted down. With that I then took off the valve cover and polished then discovered the oil pan has a leak. So off to Fred Anderson's for a "Toyota OEM" gasket. This week we have installed the polished valve cover with new gasket and oil pan with OEM gasket. Today I purchased and almost installed the clutch master cylinder. All the metal line were rusted real bad and took most of the afternoon just to free them. Having a huge problem getting the clutch line free from the clutch slave. Got the master cylinder installed but had to stop when we could not get the flex line from the old slave. Any suggestions, can I purchase just a flex line to the slave? and where? I measured it at 17". Hope to find one for Saturday. Then comes the starter and them exhaust manifold. Love moving forward..
IMG_0072.jpg
IMG_0074.jpg
IMG_0075.jpg

Go with the gear reduction starter that came in the later model landcruisers. I'm not sure what year the cutoff was, but they're much better than what was standard in the older models. Mine is a 74, and it has the old style. Newer ones are much stronger, smaller, and sound great...

Looks like 83+ is the year, but they'll fit...

Excellent progress!! It feels good to make a milestone such as getting the motor in. Keep it up!

It does

It does feel good Johnny, thanks. Each day seems like a milestone. On Saturday we finally got the clutch slave on. Had to take the flex line off and carry it to Loop Road Auto for them to remove the line from the old slave. The we finally got the clutch working properly. Installed the e brake and the t-case cone shifter boot. Took a shot and removed the heater and disassembled it. Going to purchase a rebuild kit for it and the blower. Wire wheeled the lower unit and primed it so it's ready for a gloss coat today. Hopefully today lay some gloss black on several parts and install the starter. Maybe next week tackle the brakes. If they are anything like the clutch lines it may take forever to get them all off. The buy a new master cylinder and on to another step. Hopefully I'll post pictures tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom