It does matter where your vehicle is built (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You mean "Araco" Pitbull? :)

According to Consumer Reports....the Land Cruiser is still the #1 most trouble-free SUV. 3-years straight now (they had insufficient date before that due to lack of responses (not enough vehicle owners out there after the 100 was introduced).

Sure wouldn't want to have to buy a house next to the Land Rover Service Center. :eek:

Hey, I'm just trying to make myself feel good about my purchase. Plus I can't spell :) It is amazing how great Toyota is. Mercedes is now crap and I would reather own a Toyota then a Mercedes. Funny how the world changes. I understand the the G500 is a major problem for only $80K.

You said it Pitbull

I was a 2 Mercedes guy (an ML and a C class) because I bought the hype of Mercedes "quality". Rolling pieces of junk. I ditched the ML for a 100 series LC. It's the best car I've ever owned. My C-class is still working, but it has too many miles to be worth much so I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off or it becomes too expensive to own.

If the LC got 20 miles to the gallon I'd own two. Or maybe if gas prices come down I'll get an 80 series :).

Wow, so Lexus really is better than Toyota? I always just figured it was a more luxurious version of the Toyota counterpart.

Where is the Araco plant? Are they the performance division of Toyota or an aftermarket company?

macneill said:
Where is the Araco plant? Are they the performance division of Toyota or an aftermarket company?

I understand that they are not owned by Toyota, just located close by.

Pitbull said:
I understand that they are not owned by Toyota, just located close by.
The Araco plant is 100% owned by Toyota, they manufacture car interiors (50%) and Land Cruisers (50%) it is located near other Toyota plants in Japan and is regarded as one of their best plants in quality

Platinum Plant Quality Award, Worldwide Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.-Tahara, Japan
Silver Plant Quality Award, Asia Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.-Araco, Japan

Pitbull said:
Platinum Plant Quality Award, Worldwide Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.-Tahara, Japan

I have taken a few tours at the Tahara Plant and it was pretty cool. They put you on an electrical vehicle (mine was a RAV4) and take you around and they would do a tour for anyone, even for one person in English, as long as you make a reservation a few weeks in advance. I know that local Honda plant would only do a tour for 12 or more people at a time. I'm not sure if Araco does anything similiar.

I had a chance to teach English there for awhile and one of my students did (still might) the tour.

You can choose which vehicle line you want to do a tour of from Surf/4Runner, LS/GS series, etc...

Talk about clean and being efficient.

They used to show the test track and the dock where they loaded their vehicles to be shipped all over the world, until they had a few of their vehicles stolen. :mad:
They might have started showing it again by now.

Mot

Mot, Do you think the quality comes from the design of the plant or the people?

I think it comes from both, coupled with the industries toughest defect standards for incoming parts to the plant. You know what the old adage says, "Crap in = Crap out."

Wow, that's pretty cool, wonder what plant the IS300 is made in? It's the same as the Toyota Altezza I think.

I bet that report went over well, since that was from a Detriot paper...heheh...wonder how the United Auto Workers Union would take it if Ford just said they're firing 90% of the people and replacing them with robots who do better work, don't get tired, can't sue you, don't need a 10min break.. :)

Pitbull said:

Pitbull,

I think tabraha is right. I think it's a little of both.

I also get to go to Yamaha Motor and Yamaha Marine's head offices/factories a couple of times a week and they, too, have pretty clean looking plants/operations.

I don't have a personal experience in the US, but it seems like that more are expected from workers here, in general. Now don't get me wrong, I remember not too long ago, that the US workers received the highest productivity rating or something like that. So I am not saying that the workers in the US are poor.

But it seems like people/workers, for the most part, in many sectors of business, not limited to automobile, put in long hours without complaining, because it's still "normal" here. I often ask many of my students (they are more like friends, but...) how late they would be working that night (my classes usually ends around 8:00pm) and many of them say 10:00 or later. They don't complain and their families don't either.

Anyway, I think that the quality control has gone a long way since the days of Deming. I remember hearing/seeing Japanese words like "kaizen"(improvements) and "pokayoke"(fool-proof?) recently. And I imagine many manufacturers have learned from the Toyota/Japanese way (and the other way around as well). So I don't think that the factory design differences are not that great anymore.

I apologize if all this did not make any sense... I'm kinda in a hurry this morning as I have an appointment and have to drive my family down to Nagoya's immigration office to take care of my wife and son's visa which have expired too long ago. :whoops:

Anyway, my offer still stands for making tour arrangements and a trip to a rotary (kaiten) sushi restaurant. :D :princess: :bounce:

Mot

mot said:
Now don't get me wrong, I remember not too long ago, that the US workers received the highest productivity rating or something like that. So I am not saying that the workers in the US are poor.

Anyway, I think that the quality control has gone a long way since the days of Deming. I remember hearing/seeing Japanese words like "kaizen"(improvements) and "pokayoke"(fool-proof?) recently. And I imagine many manufacturers have learned from the Toyota/Japanese way (and the other way around as well). So I don't think that the factory design differences are not that great anymore.
You're quicker to praise any American car company than I am. I do believe there is not huge differences in how the vehicles are assembled (except maybe that major robot plant), however I think it comes down more to design. Anyone can tighten a bolt to the correct torque, but what that bolt holds, what angle the forces are on it, what strength is the bolt, will the bolt expand and contract at the same rate as heating metal around it, if not then it can be prone to loosen, is the bolt self centering (cone washers), does the factory put on locktite upon assembly, etc.

I think that's the greatest Toyota advantage is just how it's designed, rarely do I look at something on my 40 or 80 and think it's a stupid design which I could have come up with a better one. Man times I have thought it was stupid until I took a entire part apart, brakes or something, then you realize what each piece is for and see the genius in the design.

Mark: I came up with one thing Toyota really blew when they designed the 80....THE BRAKES! What were they thinking? They stink! Wow, the 100's brakes are killer though so they must have learned.

That's funny, everyone says the brakes are bad on the 80, yet I have never considered mine bad at all, not awe-inspiring but certainly no worse than any other vehicle I've had. However the brakes is a good comparison, my friend's '86 Toy truck has better brakes (full 4-piston calipers, vented, even directed vents from the front) than his '98 Dodge Dakota did, the Dakota had 1-piston floating style, which suck, never stopped worth a crap, yet the Dakota is bigger and is rated to tow atleast 5K lbs. The Toy design is just better, smarter, safer, and more expensive. Ofcourse Toyota could make cheap brakes like most GM vehicles have, but they don't.

I've heard the brakes on the 100-series are good...tell you what I'll trade you my 80 for your 100 just to 'compare', and maybe I'll return the 100. :D

BTW I love your vehicle setup John, looked at many pictures of yours...

Thanks Mark! Actually though I have little experience with trucks and their brakes. Until I bought the 100 all I drove were sports cars and a minivan (come on now...I had 2 young kids ;p ). Since I had the 100 first then got the 80 I was in shock thinking I had major brake problems. Off road on the huge down hills I sometimes stand on them with my butt off the seat. So does everyone else so I know mine are working properly. Geeze, I hardly touch the 100's pedal.

Speaking of setting up my 100, I'm in a dilemma right now. I have the dough right now :D for a rear bumper and tire carrier, though Slee's won't ready for a few more months. I've waited these 80K miles avoiding the Kaymar (though I like the dual pivots allowing for a jerry can holder) in hope of a more aggressive designed (smaller) Slee bumper. My stock bumper rarely touces on the trail so the Kaymar would work. I just wonder if Slee's will be worth the wait. I'm so tired of living without I think I might snag a Kaymar. I know the truck will look better with the Kaymar. Not sure if the Slee bumper will offer up much more in the way of departure? Either way I will paint match the entire bumper except the underside. Any words of advice? :confused:

Pitbull said:
Hey, I'm just trying to make myself feel good about my purchase. Plus I can't spell :) It is amazing how great Toyota is. Mercedes is now crap and I would reather own a Toyota then a Mercedes. Funny how the world changes. I understand the the G500 is a major problem for only $80K.

If they sold the 100 TD here, one could get 20+mpg!

mabrodis said:
Wow, that's pretty cool, wonder what plant the IS300 is made in? It's the same as the Toyota Altezza I think.

I bet that report went over well, since that was from a Detriot paper...heheh...wonder how the United Auto Workers Union would take it if Ford just said they're firing 90% of the people and replacing them with robots who do better work, don't get tired, can't sue you, don't need a 10min break.. :)

When I was working for a major electronics company in Japan, a coworker of mine told me that auto company/factory jobs pay more than electrical engineering jobs. The auto jobs were among the most sought after.

--Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom