Builds Isuzu 4HE1TC into FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have one too. 94 FZJ80 with 2001 (electronic) 4D34T engine and AW450 trans. Probably 60K miles since the swap. If I were to do it again, I would go A440F and 4D34 with the mechanical pump engine (pre 1998). So much less work and more power potential. The trans isn't as good, but I think the higher OD ratio of the AW450 is not really that useful, with 35s I would be better off with the lower ratio. On smaller rubber it's great.

I have a TD04H-19T on it, 30 PSI boost, pyro never goes over 1100F. Because it's EFI it's hard to turn up the fuel. I have racked the pump elements as much as I can without the idle creeping up. It definitely moves faster than a 1FZ and I'd bet there's another 100hp to be had.

It's a backhoe engine compared to a 1HDT but, like Pacer says, they fit in easily and they just flat-out work.

Hey ASTR, do you know if the 4HF1 is in the same family as the 4HE1t block wise? Coog found this pic, and it shows the starter facing the correct way. Wonder if that bellhousing would do the trick?

Edit: Or is this the power steering area? I can’t remember.

E958A15E-D927-4A72-B446-670C0D43746C.png

Last edited:
Hey ASTR, do you know if the 4HF1 is in the same family as the 4HE1t block wise? Coog found this pic, and it shows the starter facing the correct way. Wonder if that bellhousing would do the trick?

View attachment 1989259
I found another photo that shows the starter mounted towards the back. This photo is clearly of a manual transmission configuration.

Reading through this and digging it up as it's quite relevant to something I have planned long-term on my much-smaller-than-an-FJ-Isuzu-Rodeo.

I'll be going manual trans, so an SAE3 bellhousing (the industrial 4h and 6h one) is fine to me. I'll get an NV4500 to SAE3 adapter and be done.

But, looking at the bellhousing pattern, to my eyes it seems like a completely circular pattern (like SAE3).

Could one not simply get two bellhousing adapters and bellhousings, and cut/clock/weld them appropriately to move the starter downward along the arc of the flywheel/flexplate?

Yes those 4 pieces might cost a guy 1000 bucks, but it'd solve the issue.
*Shrug* just an idea.

If anyone has a hardline measurement from the fan mounting surface to the bellhousing adapter mounting surface (rear of the block) I'd love it by the way. :D

Reading through this and digging it up as it's quite relevant to something I have planned long-term on my much-smaller-than-an-FJ-62 Toyota Land Cruiser.

Fixed it for you. This is not an Isuzu Rodeo board, nor is there any such vehicle as an "FJ". The 'F' refers to the motor, i.e. F, 2F, 3FE, etc. The 'J' refers to the truck series. Thus, a BJ40 and an FJ40 are nearly identical, save the engine. Both are J40 series Land Cruisers. :D

Should you build a J62 series with a 4HE1TC engine, you could call it, "HEJ-62", as an HJ60, would refer to Toyota's 'H series' engines, such as the 12HT. :D

While that's great to know, and I love the subtle elitism in there, this topic is still relevant to what I'm after, whether it's a specific Isuzu board or not.

Yeesh.

For reference, here is the back of my 4BD2Tc I swapped into our 60. Isuzu to Chevota bell housing with IDS ring, and H55.
IMG_5218.JPG
IMG_5220.JPG
IMG_5221.JPG

We have been very happy with the swap for about 10 years also!

Good hunting.

I have access to a very inexpensive NPR with 4HE1T engine & 5 speed manuél trans, yay! Reading the highlights of this thread, it appears the ginormous starter hanging off the driver's bellhousing is a deal killer, even for a free engine, boo.

Thanks to @astr for documenting his work with the engine & trans.

I have access to a very inexpensive NPR with 4HE1T engine & 5 speed manuél trans, yay! Reading the highlights of this thread, it appears the ginormous starter hanging off the driver's bellhousing is a deal killer, even for a free engine, boo.

Thanks to @astr for documenting his work with the engine & trans.
Is it the industrial SAE pattern transmission housing? On those, the starter faces forward I believe. Worth looking at, if you haven’t actually laid eyes on it.

To be able to use a forward pointing starter on a 4HE1 or 4HK1, you need to swap the rear section of the engine, not a trivial job. IIRC, this section houses all the gears that drive the cam, injection pump and power steering pump. The rear section that accepts a forward pointing starter would come from an industrial engine and would result in an SAE pattern for the transmission rather than the proprietary pattern that Isuzu uses for the AW450 automatic transmission which would nullify the posibility of using the AW 450 transmission.

View attachment 1989259
That is where the power steering pump goes. From the photos that I have seen, the forward-mounted starter is real low, next to the oil pan.

If any of you guys come across an injection pump and/or engine computer from a 4HE1, please let me know. I'm thinking about going mechanical on my swap to boost it for more power - I think the 4HE1 pump could be made to fit on the 4D3.

Yet another question! Do any of you know if the 4HE1 engines use a solid input gear (no timing advance mechanism built-in)?

It looks like most of the 4HE1 engines use an injection system called Zexel MITICS. It is a semi mechanical version of the MD-TICS system on the Fusos. There is a 12V solenoid on the front of the pump that is energized to bump the timing 10 degrees on startup only, but I don't know how the timing advance works the rest of the time. The manual says that MITICS is mechanical on these engines and handles the timing and pre-stroke adjustment, and uses a special RLD-M governor. I can't find an exploded diagram of this governor nor a good explanation of how the pump works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom