Builds Isuzu 4HE1TC into FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your cockpit for the testbed truck is just awesome, and I mean that sincerely.
Then again, I'm a sucker for a breadboarded control panel...

Your cockpit for the testbed truck is just awesome, and I mean that sincerely.
Then again, I'm a sucker for a breadboarded control panel...

Thanks. The only problem is that the speedometer cluster keep falling in my lap ;)

Thanks. The only problem is that the speedometer cluster keep falling in my lap ;)

ZIP tie time!
I'd be lost if I didn't have gobs of those things! :lol:
This is a really cool build! :cheers:

Project on Hold

Due to unexpected events, I'm going to have to put this project on hold until late summer at the earliest. I have every intention to complete the swap as soon as I can devote a significant block of time to it which looks to be late summer or early fall. Thanks for your comments and support. See you after recess :)

hope things are looking up for this project, i'd love to see you pull it off.

i am doing a 4HE1T in a franken cruiser project that may help, or at least be a different resource for those who follow...

HEJ43, or something...

hope things are looking up for this project, i'd love to see you pull it off.

i am doing a 4HE1T in a franken cruiser project that may help, or at least be a different resource for those who follow...

HEJ43, or something...

Well, late summer, early fall have come and gone and I still haven't finished the project that pulled me off the swap. however, the end is in sight :)

I have every intention to finish the swap as soon as I have a block of time to dedicate to it.

Good luck with your project and be sure to post up your progress.

i am looking forward to seeing how you handle the starter situation. i was thinking i would be able to work around it with the 80 frame i am using and a flexible mind on the transmission cover, but alas it is just too wide. i am planning to clock the starter underneath the transmission with an adapter, but that is still in the early stages.

i am wondering how much power those HE starters need, and if i can find a similarly powered direct drive starter that will fit in a little tighter. have you considered any unique starter changes?

this is a great thread, its a big part of why i chose to dive into the swap instead of continuing to look for a BD motor! thanks for leading the way astr!

Last edited:
30 pages in....this has been an incredible thread to read.

Thanks again for your detail work, impressive doesn't begin to describe it!

Can't wait to see more progress!

Thanks. I'm itching to get back to it but unfortunately still haven't finished the project that took me away from it. I hope to get back to the swap this spring.

Subscribed
Randomly found his site and read all 30 pgs, registered just to follow this. Great thread, cannot wait for it to all come together.

I am very interested in this thread, but I have one question. Astr , you used the split case that was behind the 3F/A440F. Will An HF2A that came behind my 3FZ-FE/A442F work as well with your AW450/ spacer/ transfer case adapter??

I am very interested in this thread, but I have one question. Astr , you used the split case that was behind the 3F/A440F. Will An HF2A that came behind my 3FZ-FE/A442F work as well with your AW450/ spacer/ transfer case adapter??

What year is your truck Cruzerhead? I thought the a442f was only behind the 3fe on the earliest fj80s.

There are a couple other folks on here who have a different engine but similar trans running in 80 series trucks...

If you have a 442f in your truck, leave it in there and bolt one of these motors to it. That's the real beauty of this swap.

the truck that the 442 came out of is a '94. I have a '92 frame with axles that I am planning to put a '50 Studebaker pick-up body on. I really like the Isuzu engine and transmission. I want to find a complete salvage truck because I intend to use the entire wiring harness and all the instruments. I like the idea of the AW450 since I will be using tranny computer. Can the t-case adapter from an A440F or A442F that had the HF2A be used with Astr's spacer &other modifications?

I believe this can be done with the splitcase from the 440. I am ignorant to the 442, but can only assume the two transes use similar cases and that this could be done in a similar fashion. Look up Superhatch's and Fromage's builds with the Mitsubishi engine using the aw450 and an 80serues platform. SameSame but different.

You can use the same approach as I did but you will have to use the output shaft out of your A442F instead of the one out of the A440F as I did. You will also have to use the T-case adapter that sits between the A442F and the T-case. I think there may be some other minor differences such as the thickness of the spacer that you will have to make that goes between the transmission and the T-case adapter. Fromage did exactly what you want to do. In his project, the AW450 was behind a Mitsubishi diesel. Check out his build thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/mitsubishi-4d34-3at3b-diesel-swap-into-94-fzj80.401163/

Unfortunately not. I was pulled away from this project because I had to vacate my shop. I decided to build a pole barn by my house for my new shop. This has taken a lot longer than I thought. I probably have another year to go before my shop is finished and I can get back to the Fj62 swap.

Any progress? Specifically the starter clearance issue... I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 4hk1t aw450 combo to put in my 94 fzj80. Since my truck has the a442f I'm good for the parts needed for the hybred tranny...this thread is the bomb and thoroughly convinced me to go this route, thanks for all your hard work!

Any progress? Specifically the starter clearance issue... I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 4hk1t aw450 combo to put in my 94 fzj80. Since my truck has the a442f I'm good for the parts needed for the hybred tranny...this thread is the bomb and thoroughly convinced me to go this route, thanks for all your hard work!

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get back to the project. I ended up building a new shop and it has taken a much longer time than I expected. I'm still working on finishing the shop then plan to get back to the FJ62/4HE1T project. I think I will go with he front-mounted started when I do get back to it,

You may look at another thread Mitsubishi 4D34-3AT3B diesel swap into 94 FZJ80 as he did essentially the same swap but used a Mitsubishi diesel and avoided the starter location problem all together.

I will be interested in your progress as I want to swap a 4HK1T (bigger, common rail version of the 4HE1T) into a '94 fzj80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom