Builds Isuzu 4HE1TC into FJ62 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It'll be interesting to see how much room I'll have to work with between rad and the front of the engine, it may just be a matter of drive shaft lengthened/shortened, shift linkage. Thanks for the link!

What is your opinion on a 1 inch body lift to help clear the starter? Could you clock the starter with new mounting holes on the bell housing?

The starter is mounted above and alongside the main transmission body. I don't think that a 1" body lift would give you adequate clearance.

Bump for updates. Has anyone else swapped a 4HE or 4HK motor into anything successfully?

I knew about the interchangeability between the Aisin 465 series and the Dodge AS68RC, but I did not know about the interchangeability between the 442 and AW50 that may allow Land Cruiser swaps. Very cool.

any resolution to the starter issue?

Different bellhousings exist to use a more conventional starter location. But I don't know of anyone who has gone that way. 4H and 6H industrial engines use them.

You can swap the rear engine casting that holds the timing gears to one that came originally on the 6HK1. This will give you a forward-facing starter but you have lost compatibility with the AW450 transmission.

Bump for updates...

I still plan to finish the swap. I'm in the process of building a new shop. This was originally going to be a one year project but due to poor estimating, limited budget, and other responsibilities I'm into year five but I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe next year I can get back to my vehicle projects.

im still working on mine, but i built an adapter to clock the starter down to about the 7 pm position, still rear facing. the adapter goes to a chevy bell housing so i can use a manual. i am trying to keep my H55F and gear down, so i had to use a ranger overdrive to get the numbers right. had i been aware that there were 3.73 gears for 80 series axles, i'd have just kept the toyota bell housing and left my transmission assembly as is. i guess i get a 10 speed trans, so thats kinda kewel.

i have a build thread, but its dead. i havent been able to motivate myself to spend time with it. which is probably sinful. its a stretched 40 on a shortened 80 frame with the 4HE1T to ranger to H55f on locked 80 axles.

dont do it.

Ha! Sorry man. Hope it works out. I’ve recently found an A440 locally, one of the last bits to my puzzle. (4bd2T-a440-hf2av.) Mines been ongoing since a bit before Dustin’s adapters came out, so don’t feel bad.

im still working on mine, but i built an adapter to clock the starter down to about the 7 pm position, still rear facing. the adapter goes to a chevy bell housing so i can use a manual. i am trying to keep my H55F and gear down, so i had to use a ranger overdrive to get the numbers right. had i been aware that there were 3.73 gears for 80 series axles, i'd have just kept the toyota bell housing and left my transmission assembly as is. i guess i get a 10 speed trans, so thats kinda kewel.
i'm contemplating a similar approach, any pics of your adapter?
Use a different motor.
nah, even with the starter issue it's one of the simplest diesel swaps out there if maintaining the stock box... swapped my still daily driven tacoma nearly eight years ago to a tdi and this will be a no brainer compared to that
Different bellhousings exist to use a more conventional starter location. But I don't know of anyone who has gone that way. 4H and 6H industrial engines use them.
10-4

i'm contemplating a similar approach, any pics of your adapter?

nah, even with the starter issue it's one of the simplest diesel swaps out there if maintaining the stock box... swapped my still daily driven tacoma nearly eight years ago to a tdi and this will be a no brainer compared to that

10-4
The easiest swap going is the '96 and earlier Mitsubishi 4d34.
Fits an fj62 or 80series with 2" lift.
All mechanical injection pump governor.
Bell housing bolts to the front of the stock a440 or 442 trans, diesel torque converter drops right in. All in the stock location.

Fab motor mounts, plumb it, wire the starter and alternator and :steer:

Bell housing bolts to the front of the stock a440 or 442 trans, diesel torque converter drops right in. All in the stock location.

nice, but i said one of the simplest and i'm not a mitsu fan

curious though, are you running a mitsu swapped cruiser ? if so, what is your honest real world FE and what would you have done differently? thanks!

thanks! what year is your cruiser and what trans?
'89 j62. Stock a440 trans with an extreme valve body from Wholesale Trans in AUS.
Stock 4.11 diffs with 35s currently. It can run GPS 90mph although it's hectic up there in a leaf sprung rig.
The passing power at speed is unreal.

To me, all these engins are really the same, just an Aisan/metric version of the Cummins 4bt.
3.9 letter, medium duty, td5-ish turbo, replaceable cylinder slevees, Zexal/Denso/Bosch pumps are all really the same same inside, they all share patents...

The early 80 series with a442 trans is the perfect combo for this type of swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom