Is this winch worth trying to rebuild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife's FJ came with this old warn winch. The contacts are pretty rusty and old and so is the wiring so I was going to by a new kit from warn with this https://www.warn.com/control-pack-upgrade-kit-99760

But the posts in the motor have rusted together and are spinning, then I took the line of and the drum is majorly rusted. Is this worth trying to salvage? It was running when I took it off, but created a lot of heat at the post connections.
20201213_150425.jpg
20201213_150434.jpg

I’m certainly no authority on rebuilding winches, but- if you’re seeing this much rust damage on easily accessible parts, I‘d be concerned that other, less obvious parts are also severely damaged. Either strip it all the way down, and replace or repair the damaged parts, or save yourself the time and headache and go with something in better condition. You’re in FL, right? Bet it was submerged in salt water more than once and left to “dry.”

Yeah probably was submerged before. A while ago I took it all apart and cleaned the posts and everything, but they rusted even worse afterwards. Obviously not stainless hardware. I didn't take the line off last time though and that drum looks really bad.

Like I said I hate to trash it since it does work, but that drum will destroy my line and the rust is pretty bad everywhere else.

May just buy a smittybuilt and put the synthetic line from this winch on it

if you don't mind an ol' fawker throwing in his 2 cents, i'd tear it right down to the last nut n bolt just to get a complete picture as to how it goes together. that way when you come across that smokin' deal on one that can be resurrected with a quick rehab, you've already got a leg up on it. also spare gut parts if not totally fubarred.

Depends what your time is worth and your expected outcome..for me, no, I'd trash it

Agree that it is likely too far gone to be worth effort. If it were an 8274 or something similarly desirable and valuable it might be a different story.

Is it a Warn low mount? M6000? M8000?

If so, and if you are looking for a project it is likely rebuildable.

Remember, on heavy, thick iron or steel parts surface rust is purely cosmetic.

Good luck. 👍

Is it a Warn low mount? M6000? M8000?

If so, and if you are looking for a project it is likely rebuildable.

Remember, on heavy, thick iron or steel parts surface rust is purely cosmetic.

Good luck. 👍

I think its an m8000. The internals look good and well greased, but the drum rust is pretty thick. I'm on the fence because a new drum is about $100 and the new solenoids and wires are about $200. At $300 I can just about buy a Smittybuilt or a brand new 12k badlands

I think its an m8000. The internals look good and well greased, but the drum rust is pretty thick. I'm on the fence because a new drum is about $100 and the new solenoids and wires are about $200. At $300 I can just about buy a Smittybuilt or a brand new 12k badlands

Yes, for a 'recovery' winch....spend your money on something new that has a warranty.

That winch is viable for something like a trailer winch (winch vehicles up on it), but its not worth your effort for much of anything else IMO.

Rebuilding a Warn M8000, a product you will be able to get tech support and parts for over the next 20 years is worth the money spent over a shiny new disposable winch. Just my opinion.

i would rebuild it, but I’m a glutton for punishment. I’ve rebuilt 4 warns. The drums are stout and once the rust is cleaned up I’m sure it will be fine. Is the brake functional?

if you were closer, I would buy it from you. If are going to throw it away, someone might want it for parts.

I'd rebuild it if it were me. Trash the drum and throw the rest in a large flat rate USPS box. I'd take it and I'm sure many others would, too. Would be a fun rebuild project.

I rebuild these all the time. That looks like an early MX8000 from the mid-late 80's. The drum isn't usable anymore so you'd want to find a used one on ebay or someone here maybe. Your motor is also no good anymore. A new one is about $190. You'd have around $400 into it to get it in good shape but it'd be FAR BETTER than a Chinese winch like Smitty or HF junk. If you want to sell this for parts, Im very interested because I need some parts off of this that are no longer available. Please PM me if so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom