Is this turbo whistle concerning? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I emailed Remy at Wink nearly 2 months ago but he never got back to me (LAME) so I figured I'd post it here.

I put in a Wink turbo a few years ago on my 1HDT. When I first installed it, it would whistle quite loudly at 18+ psi. That went away after a few hundred (thousand?) miles and it hasn't really made any appreciable noise since. Well, I just took the intake off to adjust valves and found that the rubber hose connecting the turbo to the intake was almost completely torn! Like I'm not sure how any boost was making it into my engine. I replaced it with silicone but now that whistle is back! It seems to peak at around 19-20psi. Below 17 and above 22 psi it doesn't whistle at all. At the highest psi the whistle can also stutter quickly although that's not common. I have my regulator set for 25psi max. Here's a video of the noise:

New video by Josh Ellis - https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y1MkuLV3sHmsTZYC6
(Unfortunately the video didn't capture the psi reading very well, must be something weird between the screen refresh and camera frame rate, but you can somewhat make it out)

Is my stock intake restricting? Is it leaky intake manifold gaskets? Is this thing about to grenade?

Good luck, sounds annoying as frick.

Yes your air box is restrictive, so is the factory exhaust if you still have it, my ct26 would whistle like crazy no matter what boost it was making.

I have a 3" exhaust all the way back so that's not it. I guess I'll have to look into airbox mods now.......

check that your manifold bolts tight to the head and to the turbo? could be on the hot side.. my tdi Golf made a similar noise when the manifold got loose once

Thanks, I'll check that out. I did have one bolt stripped/broken on my head that I couldn't drill out and replace properly so maybe that's the issue?

I find it odd that it started after I fixed a massive tear in the turbo outlet, if it an airbox restriction you'd think the whistle would be worst when it's moving the most air which should be while leaking thru the tear. This makes me think it might actually be the intake gaskets because they clearly leak (blow bubbles) at low boost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom