Is this solar system from HD (on sale) any good at all? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
The price is right, though it's a poly panel not a mono panel, and I'm sure the charge controller is junk. But you could do worse.

I'd look for a mono 100+ watt panel and spring for a Morningstar Sunsaver controller.

This would be a better panel and not too much more:

And another $60 or so for a Controller and you're in business with a solid robust system..

Last edited:
short answer? no its junk man. why go through the effort to install crap??

There a re number of good videos out there that have done quite a few tests on Mono vs Poly solar and I wouldn't discount a Poly Panel My system consists of an HQST poly that I can dismount and move around to get the best sun. Along with this, I have a Victron 75/15 smart controller with blue tooth (MPPT controller not really needed for a system of 100 watts but I got a deal on it - any PWM controller would work just fine) . Batterry is Flooded lead Acid that keep on chugging - granted, I am only running a cheap fridge and assorted lights and devices like Ipads, phones, etc.... Seems to work well for me. If you really wan to make it simple, buy a Renogy Suitcase for a portable systems.

It's pricey for two panels without the controller and I don't see any cabling for it. Renogy (the Renogy website) has a complete system on sale: Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Foldable Solar Suitcase with Voyager
that includes all wiring and a controller (it is a PWM controller which will work fine - and its water proof). It's a few dollars more but its plug and play. It worth looking at.

Decent deal. Buy your own decent charge controller. The wiring is not hard. For whatever reason, folding increases the price but it's still a nice unit and will work for your needs. You might be able to do it cheaper on your own but it's pretty good as it is.

Solar is really pretty simple. For the price of the Home Depot system you listed, you could pick up a Renogy 100 watt panel and a Victron Charge Controller and be good to go.

Amazon product ASIN B07GF5JY35
Amazon product ASIN B075NTT8GH
There is a lot of good introductory solar info at this website, but I’d NOT encourage you to make your own LiFePO4 batteries nor use a Tesla Li ion battery unless you really understand battery management.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom