Is this PDR-able or am I looking at body work? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MongooseGA

Learns things the hard way
SILVER Star
Threads
I've been cringing every time I approach my truck from the passenger side for the last few weeks. Part of me wants to open a claim but the other part of me likes my current premiums. I'm wondering if this damage looks like it's able to be at least *mostly* repaired by PDR, or if I'm going to be stuck having some extra work done. If the latter, I also wonder what it might run out of pocket. I already had my silly estimate done at a very high end shop at over $3k :oops:

20190728_200415.jpg

20190723_162806.jpg

20190723_162756.jpg

20190723_162742.jpg

Defiantly bodywork. A decent PDR guy will improve it some. The closer you get to the edge the less workable it is. Definitely make sure they don't improve it and it resembles a golf ball.

Thanks for that. It might be like asking 'how long is a rope', but, roughly what might I expect a respectable shop to charge for something like this? I imagine the Galactic Gray with a slight pearl and lots of metallic will suck to match, so is it likely to require blending on to the adjacent panels?

PDR can likely pull out the stuff further back and some of the dent closer to the edge, but the crease around the main dent and the edge work will need more than PDR. After that, it's a matter of buffing out the scratches to see how much is into the paint beyond the clearcoat.

I have same color 100. Mine is a beater. If it was mine I would pull door card push/ finesse out dent. I would scuff with some 2000 or heavy cut compound. Looks to be factory paint and good enough shape. I would guesstimate about a $2500 repair at decent shop. Nothing worse then bad paint on top of bad bodywork. I would rather put that money towards some goodies or maintenance. Either way nice rig. Maybe keep an eye on parting out section for same color rig being parted out

I have same color 100. Mine is a beater. If it was mine I would pull door card push/ finesse out dent. I would scuff with some 2000 or heavy cut compound. Looks to be factory paint and good enough shape. I would guesstimate about a $2500 repair at decent shop. Nothing worse then bad paint on top of bad bodywork. I would rather put that money towards some goodies or maintenance. Either way nice rig. Maybe keep an eye on parting out section for same color rig being parted out
Thanks! I was thinking of pushing from the backside as well. Hell, if I could find just a door from another truck I'd do that!

I'm going to play with the larger portion of the dent today from behind the interior door panel. Besides the obvious of not using sharp tools to poke, are there any suggested trick for massaging? I've seen people try to inflate small footballs or similar to give even, conformed pressure. Not sure if it'd really have the strength to pop it though.

There was slight success. I was able to reduce the size of the larger dent quite a bit. There's an inconvenient amount of space to get my arm behind the dent, so leverage was tough. Eh, it's something.

20190818_121101.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom