x (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s not 34/38mm dependent it’s H42/h55 dependent. You want to keep all the the gears that came in that case together unless you like headaches. There are different tooth counts but if they’re both USA cases they should be the same/similar ratio (2.27:1 or 2.29:1)

Yup, different gears available for split t-cases

Some info here: Cruiser Outfitters

Also stock ratios are shown on our high range/low range gear option chart too:

1586982417999.jpeg

As you can see in the US the 34mm case was 45/25 on the idler vs 43/24 for the 38mm, non-US stuff is even different (and other ratios exist)

As I pulled them apart, I found another interesting difference... the 34mm was bushings on the output shaft. The 38mm was split roller bearings.

The 38mm is more than likely a US spec. It is vacuum actuated which tells me it came from behind a 340?? automatic.

The 34mm is mostly unknown to me. I believe it is out of US model. It came from behind a H41 or a H42... I forget which in the pile I kept :doh:

Some (but not all) 38mm cases have the bearings on the output shaft. We have a different t-case rebuild kit that includes those bearings.

I took a minute to count some teeth and I'm only getting a partial match to the table above:censor:

For the 38mm, I counted out 24 teeth on the low speed idler. But I then counted 40 teeth on the low speed output gear:meh: That sort of matches the 86-60 in the 2nd column. I double checked the count of 40 more than once.

For the 34mm, I counted 27 teeth on the low speed idler and also 40 teeth on the low speed output gear. I counted those out many times since 27 doesn't match anything nor does 40.

The 38mm case was provided and rebuilt by Valley Hybrid. So I 100% trust it to be unmolested/correct.

The 34mm was a package deal but appeared to be correct.

Very odd, there is a 40tooth low speed gear option, but not in any of the US cases. I feel pretty good in our numbers as they have been floating around Mud and our website for 15+ years. I can double check.

We stock the 40 tooth fwiw: TC Low Speed Output Gear 7/1980-10/85 (40 Tooth) BJ Models (TCG3620460031)

So you're 38mm has 24/40 on the low speed and your 34mm has 27/40 on the low speed. Are the OD's of the two different 40 tooth gears the same? If OD's are different it can work, basically how some of the overdrive/underdrive/lowrange gear sets work.

Out of curiousity, what are the tooth counts of the other gears in your 38mm and 34mm respectively. Let's see what ratio they are.

Somewhat a follow up question. If I used Advance Adapters 34mm to 38mm idler shaft 'conversion', can I install the 38mm gears into the 34mm case?

Yes. We have have the Japanese 38->34mm kits in stock @ Cruiser Outfitters if we can be of help.

Just double checked on my end... 38mm US spec OE low speed gear is definitely 41 teeth. I double check the input/output & idler tooth counts for the 38mm US spec case. They are all dead on our chart.

The US spec 34mm case ones may be off? I'm out of stock on the US spec 34mm US spec idler & low speed gear. We just got a few pallets in from Japan so they actually may be waiting to unpack.

20200415_154252.jpg

Your 38mm still has me perplexed but your 34mm case is likely just a non-US BJ case. It's not on our chart but we have the gears:

1586989022208.png

One more count on the 38mm showed I was off... it was typical 41:bang:

That settles that :D

The 34mm had typical high range spline counts: A(input) was 34 spline, B(idler) was 45 spline, and D(output) was 34 spline.

For C(idler), the count was still 27. It had an OD of about 4.5" as shown here:
The 34mm gear set more than likely came from behind a B series H41. Does the 27/40 splines mean this is a 2:1 transfercase?

See my post above. The numbers don't won't match my chart because that isn't a US spec 34mm case. They do however 100% match the 34mm BJ6x style case for example.

Kurt, planning on running 2f, H55F, 3.73, 33” tires.
Would that combo like the 10% underdrive tcase gears ?

Kurt, planning on running 2f, H55F, 3.73, 33” tires.
Would that combo like the 10% underdrive tcase gears ?

Yes, or you could pick-up a couple of fine-spline 4.1x diffs instead? Same net effect and similar cost. We have 4.11 diffs

Yup, different gears available for split t-cases

Some info here: Cruiser Outfitters

Also stock ratios are shown on our high range/low range gear option chart too:

As you can see in the US the 34mm case was 45/25 on the idler vs 43/24 for the 38mm, non-US stuff is even different (and other ratios exist)

Kurt - Is "86-60" a typo and supposed to say "86-90"? Top green row. I think that's what you meant but just want to clarify for sure

Kurt - Is "86-60" a typo and supposed to say "86-90"? Top green row. I think that's what you meant but just want to clarify for sure

Yup, definitely a typo.

The kits are labeled correctly on both our websites, just off on that chart rendition. I'll fix on my end.

1587590614196.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom