Is There an OEM Sub Tank Switch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pierce

SILVER Star
Threads
Is anyone aware of a Toyota OEM sub tank switch that fits in and looks like it belongs in a 200 series switch slot? I installed a sub tank in my 80 and couldn’t stand staring at the supplied Long Range sub tank switch, so I adapted an OEM switch. I’m about to install a sub tank in the 200 and already know it’ll annoy me… Yes I’m picking form over function. Yes the supplied switch would work just fine…

I don't know. Maybe poke around on PartsSouq - if there is one, you'll find it there. One thing is that (at least on the one I have) the shutoff timer is built into the LRA supplied switch.

I googled this, not sure if it would fit.

s-l400.jpg

Last edited:
Subtank pumping is automatic on the 200, the only thing to switch is which sender the fuel gauge reads. Have you seen @grinchy subtank install thread?

Just realized you are probably installing the LRA tank so this info may not apply..

Subtank pumping is automatic on the 200, the only thing to switch is which sender the fuel gauge reads. Have you seen @grinchy subtank install thread?

Just realized you are probably installing the LRA tank so this info may not apply..
I have, I’m aware it’s automatic in the 200 series with factory sub tanks.

I don't know. Maybe poke around on PartsSouq - if there is one, you'll find it there. One thing is that (at least on the one I have) the shutoff timer is built into the LRA supplied switch.

I googled this, not sure if it would fit.

s-l400.jpg
I’m aware of the shutoff time. I’m comfortable with form over function. I’ve been using a factory sub tank switch in my 80 series for years and can hear the difference in pump sound when the pump starts to go dry. Thanks for the idea.

Looks like others covered it.

Sounds like you know, and the LRA switch integrates a couple more functions. Level readout. And auto shutoff ~1min after it detects the aux tank being empty. Both in my mind are pretty important. I generally rely on sound too, but there's times either off-road or higher speed highway with AT tires, that it's all too easy to miss. Out of sight, sound obscured, and out of mind and could risk burning out the pump.

Not exactly sure about the LC dash, but if placed in a less conspicuous place, may not be as distracting? I hate aftermarket switches, and this really is one of the better ones. I have mine here
b2AXCbPLjNkiir1AHSMkqTX7sgZxXktNitRDzeBcmXQXtGXAY-AOR7ys3b4JEgCYYSwycZysuXYXgj5PkFMhjo7KA5ZXH-83N30-Lpf07lu5Lqi1NYn_bL9KBtVal8vOGDt95-K11cQgrNAsb59beOa7LIDHAYGz2TUPHHGuqA8nxZsX_bJMH2smwDbOxAAmKYOXWNTcJqWZZJzD6Bpwce4MSIETc_anQrvSoEOoDBhIUKc1s2tuYeVJ1Le0ac9qsXJsAOi-m8RRuIOSZ3EXsMBBVOikjYQhf2DBwTA1G1uX3IOZhQHgxwhsNJBQU1XiFYFeit2dGIlOD4EsqZ_C-s2X1Gs2GimGjSh6GD4CCF4ykkadkGu-T21mNMZZ8y_JR3GnSbcUHyMSWbQOxroyPmM0_XonTbPxauQDyfxngkU8ozoEuF45QurfW7SDGAgONioTvsoYBxKJXPW6tX3yPLsHs1Z8zjWg6GN0fRiSviOkyFMmz0oReoW9VCrSV2nyfWWG9CgPE6WZaSGPQAdMSGwAjk7iIfnm71kzC1qlSThQKapnO8ZM8xe5pjGg3m57naAJimV8AVYeVK-DG3Nm67ZwYPhFTVXko8VwnX-3fkC81vId9XqIQ9g99KaklRsZK6jEYQoXt5AjzNo_KMAZaKPvwEUTR3Wg2WMg4wQ4dGtFn7p4eP-hn8p9d5dZzlfuruLWKWkAgI6x08HkhQgkfNt1=w1236-h929-no

So y’all understand my thought process better… (I like OEM switches and hate nanny lights)

I know exactly what the button does. I have had an LRA tank in my 80 series for 3ish years now.

I removed the LRA switch in my 80, mostly because I was tired of it being there (nanny lights) and also because it started shutting off after only pumping 4-5 gallons. It was on it’s way to completely failing.

I have searched online and can’t find an OEM switch of 200 series vintage and was hoping someone else had been down this rabbit hole and found an OEM switch out of some other ROW model toyota.

I also change out transfer pumps ASAP because the woodpecker sound from the provided pump is annoying and the transfer takes forever. I don’t do partial transfers, one and done, it’s either empty or full, so I don’t care about the fuel level and I can tell by the pump sound when the aux tank is empty so the auto shutoff doesn’t matter to me.

If the lights could be adjusted via rheostat (pretty sure they can’t be) then I’d almost. ( but probably not) be willing to tolerate it.

I’m asking for help locating a OEM switch that matches the rest of the switches in a 200 series.

So y’all understand my thought process better… (I like OEM switches and hate nanny lights)

I know exactly what the button does. I have had an LRA tank in my 80 series for 3ish years now.

I removed the LRA switch in my 80, mostly because I was tired of it being there (nanny lights) and also because it started shutting off after only pumping 4-5 gallons. It was on it’s way to completely failing.

I have searched online and can’t find an OEM switch of 200 series vintage and was hoping someone else had been down this rabbit hole and found an OEM switch out of some other ROW model toyota.

I also change out transfer pumps ASAP because the woodpecker sound from the provided pump is annoying and the transfer takes forever. I don’t do partial transfers, one and done, it’s either empty or full, so I don’t care about the fuel level and I can tell by the pump sound when the aux tank is empty so the auto shutoff doesn’t matter to me.

If the lights could be adjusted via rheostat (pretty sure they can’t be) then I’d almost. ( but probably not) be willing to tolerate it.

I’m asking for help locating a OEM switch that matches the rest of the switches in a 200 series.

Makes sense and sounds like you know exactly what you're doing. @grinchy is your guy as he's retrofitted a stock aux tank. I can't speak for all the ROW variants (diesel?) but the the gas version uses a passive venturi valve to siphon fluid. There's no transfer pump nor manual control via switch.

About all I can suggest is a custom face switch by CH4X4.com. They offer Toyota Small form Push Button or Momentary

Thank you @TeCKis300 found one for a VDJ79 that’ll be good enough and have reached out to STEDI in Australia to see if they do custom switches.

I’m being a little picky until I get completely shut out but the VDJ79 switch has the wrong orientation. The switch is installed lengthways unstead of up and down like the 200 series.

Thank you @TeCKis300 found one for a VDJ79 that’ll be good enough and have reached out to STEDI in Australia to see if they do custom switches.

I’m being a little picky until I get completely shut out but the VDJ79 switch has the wrong orientation. The switch is installed lengthways unstead of up and down like the 200 series.

The ch4x4 switch is basically the same as the stedi but with shipping receipt in US within a few days and cheaper.

You might be surprised. I've received stuff faster from Stedi than I have from us based distributors.

You might be surprised. I've received stuff faster from Stedi than I have from us based distributors.
Can be true but hard to beat 4 days from order to receipt of a custom faced switch.

Ch4x4 was the answer. STEDI didn’t have anything good enough.

I think it’s an excellent match. Color looks different because of the angle… I think… good enough. Pretty quick turn around. About 8 days from the order to arriving in my mail box for a custom switch. $29.98 delivered as well.

Thank y’all for the help.
D36DC7E4-582E-4507-9D69-E9C5AC37B7AE.jpeg

This one is supposed to match. I think that the angle I was holding it at to take the picture made it look more off color then it actually is. Time will tell. I’ll check out air on board though.

I’m pretty sure @Pierce has more refined taste than me.
After my resistor network combining the senders failed to notify me when the the tanks were empty a couple times, I installed this beauty by the tpms reset switch so I could read each tank individually. I just leave it on main tank though, then empty is empty. I always know within a couple gallons what should be in there anyhow.

5A0AACB4-940C-4BEF-86BE-1ED5D9D653FD.jpeg

Hahaha I can’t stand non matching switches. Also it’s my wife’s DD and she’s even more particular than me.
That is a neat mod though. Guessing it won’t work with a non-OEM sender through?

If by non-oem you mean one that has different full and empty resistance (200s are standard Toyota 15 to 415 ohm), then no. If the sender reads 15 to 415 ohm, the toyota gauge doesn't care who made it.

Other 200 clusters are set up to read differently for the dual tank if it's installed factory. Unfortunately the 'combination meter' has many SKUs, and finding one in Miles with LHD and sub tank was difficult. Not to mention it would probably cost more than the tank install itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom