Is the V6 in a 89 4runner crap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

Going to look at an 89 4runner in good condition but with a V6 and not the rock solid 22r series motor. Dont know much about toyota's aside from my FJ40 but I do recall hearing the that V6 was prone to head gasket issues and was overall a lower quality motor then its 4cyl counterpart. Basically Im lookin for a daily driver that I can take to and back from Ohio to my Air Force tech school in biloxi mississippi. Any advice of what to look for / stay away from would be much appreciated. Also how much should a vehicle like this be worth.

Thanks,
Chase

3.0 is notorious for head gaskets in the 90k range. Toyota should replace them free, and while yer in there get the timing belt done.

I put 155k on my 95 V6 pickup, 5-speed, 33" tires. Other than towing, I wish I'd kept it. I abused that truck to no end....my only repair was a clutch at 145k....and the usual shocks and tires and other expendable stuff. I even towed MANY times with it, 6000#+ and it's only rated for 3500...no overheat issues ever.

And a head gasket is an easy fix, use good quality gaskets, and glue them on, like aircraft stuff use, with a permatex sealant, bastard to get off next time, but if the heads do come off again it shouldnt be for the head gaskets ;)

But Id be looking V with 8 cylinders if it were me, hilux V8's are popular here.

One of those things that depend who you talk to. Apparently the 88's and early 89's were done right and never eligible for the recall. Mine's got 113k on it and runs like it was brand new. I would try and get the VIN and check with a dealer to see if the head gaskets were done, unless you are buying it from a private person, just ask him. JFYI I looked at an 88, V6 p/k with 275k that had never been touched. Several people have run them into the ground with similar mileage to the 22 series and there have been people say that they couldn't keep it running. :-\

I liked mine, but then again I never had to work on it. And, I'd hate to. Those things are packed in there TIGHT. But mine always had plenty of power and I could pull any mountain road as fast as the truck would drive. One time I pulled Donner summit 80mph the whole way, screaming at around 4000rpm the whole way up to the summit. Didn't overheat, didn't do anything but suck gas like it should. And, it was FUN. Those motors don't mind revving and as long as you take care of it it'll be a good motor.

The head gasket problem arose when Toyota was no longer allowed to use asbestos in their head gaskets. They put out a few bazillion motors with bad head gaskets and they went, often taking the whole engine with them.

Oh yeah and timing belts. Gotta do those every 60K miles. Otherwise motor goes BOOM. If the fan shroud is cracked, plan on replacing it ASAP as those can make things go boom too if they go.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom