Is the FZJ80/LX450 a half ton chassis? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched, but i cannot find a answer. Does the cruiser have a half ton chassis? I know generally pickups are classified this way, but I need a half ton chassis vehicle to do some towing (rental place is requiring it) and i do not want to borrow a P/U.

Thanks in advance.

Others will need to chime in to confirm, but I believe the 80 is 1 Ton.

Smitty

X2. It's always been my understanding that the LCs were 1-ton chassis in order to meet various military specs from the beginning.

I don't think there is a definitive definition of "half ton chassis". Toyota used to call their little dually truck a "1 Ton".

That being said, a side-by-side with other common 1/2 ton SUVs (Tahoe, Expedition, Durango) would show the FZJ80 beefier. Show me a 1/2 ton with a 9.5" FF rear axle...

Although I doubt any of this would mater with the average rental company employee.

Ever since the truck was upgraded to a full-floating axle in the North American market, I think it's clear that the 80 series is designed as at least the equivalent of a 1/2 ton truck. Typically, full-floaters are used on pickup trucks in the 3/4 to 1 ton range, although some heavy duty 1/2 tons may also get them. Haven't been shopping for $40k pickups lately.

The 80 is rated to tow 5,000 lb, which is probably a more relevant metric, so also worth mentioning.

Capacity ratings depend on several factors, most importantly capacity of the axles and the design of the suspension system. Our axles certainly fit the 1 ton range, but the suspension isn't set up to carry all that. The truck weighs about 5000 lb empty. The door plate says 6470 lb GVWR, so roughly a 3/4 ton (1470 lb difference.) However, the front axle is rated at 3305 lb GAWR and the rear at 3970 GAWR, giving you a total potential capacity of 7275 lb. That's a 1 ton rating (2275 lb difference.) The 80 would really ride like a log truck if it left teh dealer's floor sprung that way. That's why there's an aftermarket if you want to "pump it up." But it's more than just heavier springs, so this is a simplification.

Last edited:
Thanks guys :beer:

Rental place should know vehicle rating. what are you trying to tow? Way too many discussions of towing with an 80 on these forums, for sure. John

A mini skid steer.

they spoke to my wife and made sure to tell her to show up with a half ton. I just wanted to have my info in my brain when I went to pick it up in the morning. Thats all.

Oh if that's the issue than it definitely qualifies for at least half ton. I've rented UHaul trailers many times.

It depends on the size of the skid-steer. The small ones can be in the 1000 Lb range. Many of the mid-large sized ones are in the 5000-7000 lb range, add the weight of the trailer, and you are at 7000 to 9000 lb. Definitely above the GVWR and the theoretical towing capacity of the 80. If you are going a short distance, drive slower and give yourself lots of room. The 80 can definitely handle the extra load. Just remember, your HITCH is rated for 500 LB TONGUE weight. Make sure you load it CORRECTLY, so it sags the back of the truck only a couple inches at rest. If loaded too tongue heavy, you will be looking at the sky and have too much tongue weight. Load it too far back, and it will wag all over the road until the tail wags the dog OFF the road.

I have pulled many a SS with a 3/4 T and had NO issues. Only once.....Just remember that it is much heavier than it looks and don't catch a 2" lip on the edge of the highway with the trailer wheels while cruising at 55+ MPH. Ask me how I know........

thats funny uhaul wouldn't rent me a care trailer with my fj60 ,even with a class 3 hitch on it but they would rent it to my friend with his chevy 1500, talk about confused the fj60 is way heavier then the 1500

They pay minimum wage there, I suspect...and it shows in the attention to detail their employees exhibit.

Ever since the truck was upgraded to a full-floating axle in the North American market, I think it's clear that the 80 series is designed as at least the equivalent of a 1/2 ton truck. Typically, full-floaters are used on pickup trucks in the 3/4 to 1 ton range, although some heavy duty 1/2 tons may also get them. Haven't been shopping for $40k pickups lately.

The 80 is rated to tow 5,000 lb, which is probably a more relevant metric, so also worth mentioning.

Capacity ratings depend on several factors, most importantly capacity of the axles and the design of the suspension system. Our axles certainly fit the 1 ton range, but the suspension isn't set up to carry all that. The truck weighs about 5000 lb empty. The door plate says 6470 lb GVWR, so roughly a 3/4 ton (1470 lb difference.) However, the front axle is rated at 3305 lb GAWR and the rear at 3970 GAWR, giving you a total potential capacity of 7275 lb. That's a 1 ton rating (2275 lb difference.) The 80 would really ride like a log truck if it left teh dealer's floor sprung that way. That's why there's an aftermarket if you want to "pump it up." But it's more than just heavier springs, so this is a simplification.

This ^^. The 80 may have components that would be found under a 1/2 ton or higher but the "overall" package isn't rated to tow, according to Toyota, over 5000. If my mind recalls correctly, it wasn't even rated to tow in either N.A. or Europe.

Regardless, you have to consider power, suspension, and brakes as well to get the load moving, control it while it's moving, and get it stopped efficiently.

Best of luck and keep the rubber on the road.

I crossed the scales @ about 7400# with one passenger and an empty gas tank, so I guess I will have to kick out the passenger when I buy gas tonight !?!?

I crossed the scales @ about 7400# with one passenger and an empty gas tank, so I guess I will have to kick out the passenger when I buy gas tonight !?!?

All those numbers with armor, passengers, and maybe even fuel optional. Ultimately, you can't get away with extra weight without adding extra capacity, especially on coil springs, because it changes the ride height, driveline angles, etc. I presume you've addressed much of that on something other than stock coils (5" lift).

That said, I suspect the GAWR front and rear depends as much on the suspension mounts. The axle itself probably would rate higher, because as others have noted the same basic unit is used in some LC models with higher GVWR/GAWR. You are pushing the limits of the 80 design system, technically, but I'll bet the extra margin of tough built in by Toyota covers things. Still, if you pushed things hard on the trail I'd almost bet you'll find weak points -- but that's part of the fun, right?

I'm not worried about towing, I've a lot if that of various size and weights. I just wanted to know about the chassis. I know the limitations my Cruiser has or at least the limitations put in them. It's only about 4000lbs. Easy.

I know that some rental places prefer a class 3 frame mount hitch over a bumper bolt on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom