Is it still a Cruiser???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=cajunfj40 link=board=1;threadid=13450;start=msg124466#msg124466 date=1079835384]
When does an FJ40 stop being a cruiser?
[/quote]

I think as long as you keep the hood and the bezel is installed correctly, it's still a cruiser :D

[quote author=Gumby link=board=1;threadid=13450;start=msg125038#msg125038 date=1079967886]
I am an elitist insofar as much as I look down upon lesser vehicles, but I don't need to put myself above other Cruiserheads because they have more or less factory parts than I do.
[/quote]

Did anyone do that?

[quote author=Jim_Phillips link=board=1;threadid=13450;start=msg125029#msg125029 date=1079966886]
What we are talking about here has been debated for thousands of years and is known as the replacement paradox.

The first recorded example was the Ship of Theseus which was reported by Plutarch
and is a Greek legend.

"The ship wherein Theseus and the youth of Athens returned [from Crete] had thirty oars, and was preserved by the Athenians down even to the time of Demetrius Phalereus, for they took away the old planks as they decayed, putting in new and stronger timber in their place, insomuch that this ship became a standing example among the philosophers, for the logical question of things that grow; one side holding that the ship remained the same, and the other contending that it was not the same."

There is also an additional question: if the replaced parts were stored in a warehouse and later used to reconstruct the ship, which--if either--would be the original ship of Theseus?

A similar story is told about George Washington's axe, with which the young George Washington is supposed, in an apocryphal story, to have cut down his father's cherry tree. The axe is supposedly on display in an American museum, although, having had both its handle and its head replaced several times, no part of the original axe remains.

;)

[/quote]

deep jim, real deep!

[quote author=Jukelemon link=board=1;threadid=13450;start=msg125077#msg125077 date=1079971861]
Did anyone do that?
[/quote]

Easy there, Juke. I was explaining MY position, not criticizing anybody else's I think you did a fine job explaining your position without ruffling feathers, obviously better than me. :-[

[quote author=Jukelemon link=board=1;threadid=13450;start=msg125018#msg125018 date=1079963609]
I guess I disagree with most then. When you change the motor or drivetrain in a vehicle, that vehicle is no longer. It, in my opinion, becomes a fab project. Not that I care or would be critical of some owner doing so, but the heart and soul (if you will) of a vehicle is its motor and drivetrain. A Toyota vehicle is not a Toyota when you place a chevy motor in it (regardless if Chevy helped design it). The idea of if it looks like a cruiser it is a cruiser just does not make sense to me. That is like saying if a kit car looks like a 66 Shelby Cobra then it is a Shelby Cobra. I would think most would agree it is not. But again, I certainly do not look down on folks that make these changes. To each its own and I love to see creative processes in place. Just my .02. But then again I am the guy who thinks 31X10.50's look too big on my 40 ( :
[/quote]

juke, i'm just poking fun, but didn't you just order a new body for your cruiser? it still looks like a cruiser, but is it really still a cruiser?

If we were to anthropomorphise the Land Cruiser, as many of us have done by giving our machines names, then we ask ourselves, what is it about the Cruiser that we love? Philosophically, if John or Jenny, were to undergo a heart, kidney and liver transplant, are they still John or Jenny? What gives a person or object it's particular intrinsic nature, is it's mind, or the "mind" that the observer imparts to it. That is, not just a piece or two, or 10 or 20, but the whole organism or object.

In my mind, over the years, I have come to appreciate the Land Cruiser as one of man's successes. Another example of man's struggle and attempt at an aspect of unattainable perfection, for it's own sake. Simplicity, form and function is a theme constantly repeated in nature which man has often described as beauty. I have felt the same about certain musical pieces, artistic works, other machines... even the game of baseball. What then develops is a sense of brotherhood among those of like mind... In the case of the Cruiser, the engineers and designers who struggled to create something of lasting, and enthusiasts like ourselves, who might share this sense at different levels.

In how many different ways has "My Favorite Things" been interpreted on jazz platform (not one of my favorites, btw). It's still "My Favorite Things". My point, modifications don't destroy the intrinsic nature of things, in the case of the Land Cruiser, they expand on the theme.
...I know alot of you are scratching your heads with this one, lol.

damn, and i thought jim phillips answer was out there. you smoking a lefty when you wrote that?

yeah, i like the way you put the red X in the middle of the white box, thats classic cruiser all the way :D

[quote author=tewlman link=board=1;threadid=13450;start=msg125205#msg125205 date=1079983284]
damn, and i thought jim phillips answer was out there. you smoking a lefty when you wrote that?
[/quote]

Lol.... I thought you'd get a kick out of that...hehehe

Lets Try Again:

I consider this a cruiser, and a damn good looking one as well. One of the Twisted Customs Rigs at CalRocs this weekend:

thats one sweet ride, but i'd say only a cruiser in sprit. its hard to say where to draw the line without going off the deep end like others have in this thread(you know who you are:D)

[quote author=tlcgear link=board=1;threadid=13450;start=msg125062#msg125062 date=1079970896]
I think as long as you keep the hood and the bezel is installed correctly, it's still a cruiser :D
[/quote]

Yeah, especially that bezel bit. ::)

Take a deep breath and let it go Dave. Let it go. What the PO's did to your and my rig as far as wiring is a much bigger sin.

Oh, Ken. How can I let it go when you put it in my face every day?

Speaking of wiring, I went over a pothole today and now my meters don't work. If I replace the blown fuse, it just goes out again. But it is not the fuse that is supposed to be for the meters! Is that a PO issue? Or what?

I think I get the idea. Ill just keep the body but hack on it for clearence. Put a V8 in it but use a Mark's adapter to keep the drive train.

Mine is a red truck, it has been modified, and personally, I have many other things to think about long before this, or people calling my truck a jeep...

Good luck!

-Steve

Oh, and I forgot....

Blah blah blah.....nice tech thread... :rolleyes:

It's your state of mind...There are guys call their trucks cruisers when there is nothing original or unmodified about those trucks. While there are owners call their unmolested Land Cruiser...jeeps...

Personally I tried to retain as much cruiser or Toyota parts on my truck as possible.

/td

I spent a lot of years racing motorcycles and as one would expect have been injured more than once. I have more used and aftermarket parts in my body than some people have in their Cruisers. I don't think that makes me any less than I was before, when in fact, in some areas I feel better than ever. Since I had my knees rebuilt I can outrun and out hike any of my friends, most of whom are younger than myself. I can also ski better and longer than I ever could.

As for my Cruiser, it has been upgraded like my bikes, my computer, my body, and even my life( at least in some small way from hanging out here with the rest of you goofballs at ih8mud). We have all been able to exchange info and interact with each other on many levels and though we may not agree on every aspect we do see one thing the same...

...CRUISERS ROCK!!! 8)

PS...the FJ40 in the serial number on my frame says mine is a Cruiser...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom