1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it still a Cruiser????

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by cajunfj40, Mar 20, 2004.

1. cajunfj40

cajunfj40

When does an FJ40 stop being a cruiser? If you pull everything out and put chevy V8s
    and Dana 60s underneath it, rip the body apart and go tube frame and coilover?
    What parts can be repaced and what can't? Afterall if you do the above is it no more than a J##p?

I would like to swap a V8 in but I want to at least keep the running gear Toyota.

2. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

as soon as you use non OEM parts it is no longer a toyota, that includes tyres and fuses etc.

kidding. i personally don't like non toyota engines. reliability is one thing these things have over heeps and chebbys, s0 why go sticking unreliable parts in. but if you want a v8 then stick it in. it;s your vehicle for you to use and enjoy. might as well have what you want under there... and what you consider a toyota is all that matters

3. sherwood

sherwood

Cruiser zen

To go to an extreme.....
    You could put a Land Cruiser badge on an Edsel.

For some reason, the question reminded me of our great state's (NC) motto..... a very zen-like motto.......

"Esse Quam Videri" .......... "To Be rather than to Seem"

John Sherwood '79 FJ-40
    Charlotte, NC TLCA Upstate Cruisers

4. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    aslong as its got a cruiser hood and Bezel on it its a cruiser. Its just so eazy and Bulletproof to put all chevy 1 ton drivetrain under a criuser and go bash the heck out of it.. without worrying about T-case's and Birf's

5. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

If you care to call it a cruiser, then it's a cruiser. It's an owner mentality. I do prefer having at least the hood and bezel attempt to look like a cruiser though.

6. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

longfields and bracing for the T-case, and go bash that :)

7. jwest

jwest

[quote author=Gumby link=board=1;threadid=13450;start=msg124510#msg124510 date=1079840983]
    If you care to call it a cruiser, then it's a cruiser. It's an owner mentality. [/quote]

:beer: right on.

8. Mrpoopypants

Mrpoopypants Guest

Wasn't the original 6 designed by Chevy? Or atleast the US version? heard that a long time ago. Dont know if its true. Same dilemma here. I wanted to keep my 40 as close as pos to original. Hrmm after PS, V8 conversion, Shackle reversal. Oh the heck with it. Its my cruiser, I can do what i want. Cruisers have a very unique look to them thats what IMHO make them what they are. As long as you dont totaly lose that Cruiser look, You still got a cruiser.

9. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

How about this, is this a Land Cruiser?

:flipoff2:

10. hammerhead

hammerhead

Nope...that's a Tuna Boat... 8)

11. sherwood

sherwood

Yup... Studebaker Land Cruiser.

Great driving little cars. They had overdrive. Little handle above your right knee, IIRC.
    For many years Studebakers held awards for fuel economy. I put many miles on one while in high school. Not mine.... but my buddies.... he was a teenage alcoholic rich kid with numerous DUI's and no driver's license ;~} So I was his permanent designated full time driver.... which was good because my parents were real tight about letting me drive the family '50 Chebby ;~}

In '63, when I got my license, I was allowed, on special occasions, to drive our family's "NEW" car.... the '63 Studebaker Lark Station Wagon .... with push-button automatic shift selector. That was also the year that Studebaker became a "foreign" (Canadian) car.
    I'd love to have that Lark wagon agin .... it was a neat little early "mid-size".

John

12. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh, whoops, my bad; I must be in the Chit Chat section.

It's not a Land Cruiser anymore when the owner of the vehicle calls it a "rock buggy"? Or a "trail rig"? I don't know. I think they're always, in some way gonna be Cruisers. I mean come on; Michael Jackson's still an African American.

This forum, however, will always be riddled with Chit Chat threads.

Damn Post Virgins.

13. green73

green73

Media:
    Albums:
    What's the FJ registered as? Land Cruiser right? if it's registered. Just don't stick an alternative engine, or axles in it and call it "restored". Yes I am somewhat of a pureist, (call me crazy, but I like the I6) but do whatever you want. Don't need the rift in the cruiser community. Atleast we don't have J&%ps. :flipoff2:

14. Plowboy

Plowboy

I liked the strength of the I-6 on my 78, but the electronics were crap. Toyota worked on it for over a year. It wasn't till my wife was almost ranover by train because the engine would just die wentever it felt like it, that I opted for a sbc from a very early vehicle. No smog, electronics and it could still pass california registration requirements. If I could have done that with the six, then it would still be in there. The first v-8 lasted for over 200,000 miles. Working on 80,000 on the second. Each was self built to my own standards, not just thrown together at an engine shop. But it still is a cruiser, not a blazer!

15. i want to keep the original axles and engine and tranny in the LC to keep the cruiser heritage............also keeping the stock colors!

16. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

I think when someone makes it into a lowrider, plates it all with chrome or paints it like the partirdge family bus, it's no longer a cruiser.

17. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

it's still a cruiser. even as a lowrider... it just has a bad foster home

18. Jukelemon

Jukelemon

I guess I disagree with most then. When you change the motor or drivetrain in a vehicle, that vehicle is no longer. It, in my opinion, becomes a fab project. Not that I care or would be critical of some owner doing so, but the heart and soul (if you will) of a vehicle is its motor and drivetrain. A Toyota vehicle is not a Toyota when you place a chevy motor in it (regardless if Chevy helped design it). The idea of if it looks like a cruiser it is a cruiser just does not make sense to me. That is like saying if a kit car looks like a 66 Shelby Cobra then it is a Shelby Cobra. I would think most would agree it is not. But again, I certainly do not look down on folks that make these changes. To each its own and I love to see creative processes in place. Just my .02. But then again I am the guy who thinks 31X10.50's look too big on my 40 ( :

19. Jim_Phillips

Jim_Phillips

What we are talking about here has been debated for thousands of years and is known as the replacement paradox.

The first recorded example was the Ship of Theseus which was reported by Plutarch
    and is a Greek legend.

"The ship wherein Theseus and the youth of Athens returned [from Crete] had thirty oars, and was preserved by the Athenians down even to the time of Demetrius Phalereus, for they took away the old planks as they decayed, putting in new and stronger timber in their place, insomuch that this ship became a standing example among the philosophers, for the logical question of things that grow; one side holding that the ship remained the same, and the other contending that it was not the same."

There is also an additional question: if the replaced parts were stored in a warehouse and later used to reconstruct the ship, which--if either--would be the original ship of Theseus?

A similar story is told about George Washington's axe, with which the young George Washington is supposed, in an apocryphal story, to have cut down his father's cherry tree. The axe is supposedly on display in an American museum, although, having had both its handle and its head replaced several times, no part of the original axe remains.

;)

20. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I am an elitist insofar as much as I look down upon lesser vehicles, but I don't need to put myself above other Cruiserheads because they have more or less factory parts than I do.