Is it okay to have an aluminum spacer between fairlead and bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a TJM on my 2018 and I’d like to put a different hook on the end (currently, my ultrahook won't fit). Most importantly, I’d rather not have the rope be exposed underneath and hooked to the tow point. That just creates a possibility to get snagged or damaged.

The TJM is lower profile on the 2016+, so one of the sacrifices seems to be a smaller fairlead area footprint. I was wondering if there’s any reason that I couldn’t put an aluminum block/spacer between the fairlead and the bumper so that it pushes out the fairlead flush with the front of the bumper (in-line with license plate). That way the rope would be all the way in the winch and not exposed. I could also then put in a flat link or ultrahook. I measured and I would need about a 1” block. Obviously, I would need longer bolts to attach the fairlead, but that’s not an issue. Just want to make sure there’s no issue with safety.

aVV5hWj.jpg

5pIkBkC.jpg

HcaCpfl.jpg

Last edited:
If the spacer supported the fairlead all the way around, I suspect it would work. Don't just space where the bolts are, as this could cause issues with shearing the bolts or breaking the fairlead in the middle.

I have a TJM on my 2018 and I’d like to put a different hook on the end. Most importantly, I’d rather not have the rope be exposed underneath and hooked to the tow point. That just creates a possibility to get snagged or damaged.

The TJM Is lower profile on the 2016+, so one of the sacrifices seems to be a smaller fairlead area footprint. So, I was wondering if there’s any reason that I couldn’t put an aluminum block/spacer between the fairlead and the bumper so that it pushes out the fairlead flush with the front of the bumper. That way the rope would be all the way in the winch and not exposed. I could also then put in a flat link or ultra hook. I measured and I would need about a 1” block. Obviously, I would be longer bolts to attach the fairlead, but that’s not an issue. Just want to make sure there’s no issue with safety.

aVV5hWj.jpg

5pIkBkC.jpg

HcaCpfl.jpg
Here is what I did with mine. I have the Factor 55 fairlead and hook on mine. I had to use the thiner of the two fairleads. The rubber bumpers on the hook sit against the bumper and bottom of the fairlead. I have been happy with it so far.

IMG_1806.jpeg
IMG_1807.jpeg

Here is what I did with mine. I have the Factor 55 fairlead and hook on mine. I had to use the thiner of the two fairleads. The rubber bumpers on the hook sit against the bumper and bottom of the fairlead. I have been happy with it so far.

View attachment 2739398View attachment 2739399

How thick/deep is that fairlead? I'm using Slee's which is 1" thick. It almost seems like yours is about 2" since it's coming out further. Below are some pics showing my issue.

cNi2z8j.jpg

TYPdMUD.jpg

WzjDxlB.jpg

How thick/deep is that fairlead? I'm using Slee's which is 1" thick. It almost seems like yours is about 2" since it's coming out further. Below are some pics showing my issue.

cNi2z8j.jpg

TYPdMUD.jpg

WzjDxlB.jpg

The Factor 55 fairlead that I used is 1"x12.35"x3.25". The 1.5" fairlead was too thick for this bumper. Here is a picture that might show how my hook fits. I have my license plate on a fold-up bracket also.

IMG_1812.jpg

I see. Makes sense now. Thank you for the picture. It looked flush from the other pictures.

I see. Makes sense now. Thank you for the picture. It looked flush from the other pictures.
Not perfect, but it works for me. I need to clean my bumper. Not going to happen until I get back from LCDC however. I am sure there will be a lot of new bugs added after the 2600 mi round trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom